The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

http://www.tsn.ca/nolan-or-nico-button-says-it-s-still-nico-in-latest-mock-1.750199 

Craig Buttons latest mock from today. Has up picking Cody Glass. I think if that happened everyone in Van would be pleased! (Think Mittlestadt at 10 would be a steal for fla) 

That would leave a lot of good options in round two. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Odd. said:

Another reason why I don't want Vilardi is that he's listed as a center but has played on the wing in junior I believe for the whole year. He isn't the kind of player we're looking for. All signs point to Benning and co leaning towards more playmaking centers (Mittlestadt, Glass, Necas)  and PP defensemans (Makar, Heiskanen, Liljegren). These are the players we need and every single one of them bring something we don't have. 

Pretty much what he's been communicating, alright.  Expecting we'll see him take one of those.

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

People keep mentioning this sentiment but it really doesn't seem to be the case. Good player, some of us just see other equally as good (or better) of players who would appear to be a better fit for the Canucks.

Referring to a certain subgroup at the extremes.  Aside from Rasmussen (almost exclusively negative) and maybe Makar, there isn't a lot of "absolutely MUST TAKE/MUST AVOID X or it's a complete fail" sentiment, aside from Vilardi.  With them he seems to be particularly polarizing, almost similar to the Virtanen debate three years ago.  Just find it curious why him in particular, when the rest across the board are just simple preferences.

Can someone enlighten me on why people are so high on Glass (sounds like a Breaking Bad line or something lol).

From what I've seen of him, there's zero creativity in his game.  Watching his highlights reminds me of how I felt about Virtanen.

Receiving passes from teammates in perfect scoring positions is fine, but I saw next to nothing in terms of him creating plays on his own. 

Vilardi and Mittlestadt are far superior in that respect.  I'd argue that Mittlestadt looks to be the most skilled out of the bunch.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Can someone enlighten me on why people are so high on Glass (sounds like a Breaking Bad line or something lol).

From what I've seen of him, there's zero creativity in his game.  Watching his highlights reminds me of how I felt about Virtanen.

Receiving passes from teammates in perfect scoring positions is fine, but I saw next to nothing in terms of him creating plays on his own. 

Vilardi and Mittlestadt are far superior in that respect.  I'd argue that Mittlestadt looks to be the most skilled out of the bunch.

I'd probably take Mittel ahead of Glass but here you go:

http://thehockeywriters.com/cody-glass-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Outside of the physical elements, the skills Glass brings to the table are impressive. He has excellent vision and offensive creativity and can thread a pass to the crease, dangle the puck to attract defenders and find the open winger for the shot on goal. Glass’ skating is a bit awkward, but he has good speed and rarely gets beat. It is easy to see, with some work, Glass being one of the quicker skaters on his NHL team. He should have potted even more goals during his Sophomore season. Glass is a pass-first center but has a dangerous shot that is not uncorked as often as it could or should be. That said, his playmaking skills are excellent, so it’s a minor quibble that he likely grows out of with further seasoning in the WHL.

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wasn't one of the knocks on Glass that he didn't have much in terms of creativity and was more of a meat & potatoes type player?

Nope, good play maker just not 'flashy'. Isn't going to get you out of your seat but wil just keep making the right/smart plays to put his wingers in good position to score while being responsible defensively.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Nope, good play maker just not 'flashy'. Isn't going to get you out of your seat but wil just keep making the right/smart plays to put his wingers in good position to score while being responsible defensively.

Ahh..

I wouldn't be upset if we landed him. However, like you, I'd prefer Mittelstadt. Doubt he'll be available at 5 though :(

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ahh..

I wouldn't be upset if we landed him. However, like you, I'd prefer Mittelstadt. Doubt he'll be available at 5 though :(

If DAL doesn't trade their pic (to us please!), my guess is Mittel goes at 3.

NJD/PHI - Patrick/Hischier

DAL - Mittel

COL - Vilardi/Heiskanen

VAN - Glass/Liljegrin/Necas

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cyoung said:

Rasmussen at 6 as well. I just don't see that happening. 

Million dollar question for ya.

why not?  Dude has better hands and speed then vilardi.  Stats are almost the same (55 in 50 vs 61 in 49). He also didn't have any 1st rounders as teammates compared to vilardi.

so what's the issue with him going 6 ?

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I feel exactly the same way, and I will admit, I'm always the (draft a Canadian kid mentality) but I just don't see it in him.  Feels like another stat racking 1st rounder that ends up being a 3rd line player in the NHL.  He really doesent look that creative, not very strong on the puck, I really have that Michael dal Cole vibe coming from this pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I feel exactly the same way, and I will admit, I'm always the (draft a Canadian kid mentality) but I just don't see it in him.  Feels like another stat racking 1st rounder that ends up being a 3rd line player in the NHL.  He really doesent look that creative, not very strong on the puck, I really have that Michael dal Cole vibe coming from this pick.

Well when compared to the last top center drafted out of Portland (Johansen), Glass has blow him up in every statistical category while playing all the hard minutes. So there's that...

People need to remember that not every player drafted makes an immediate impact. Johansen was drafted 7 years ago and although he was having his breakout year 3 seasons ago, hard not to notice he is definately "The Man" and is there to stay. 

Remember....it took Henrik 8yrs to become "The Man" after playing behind Morrison for so many years.

Mittlestadt is atleast 2-3yrs in college and a year in the minors away from even getting onto this team......4 years.

Vilardi is atleast 3 years away.

Heck...Patrick would also be 2-3yrs from making an impact. 

For proper development, I would love to see Glass play 2 more years of junior and 1 full year in minors with call-ups.

No need to rush the's guys like McCann and Virtanen were. Imagine if they had spent one more year in CHL? We wouldn't be having so many topics of discussion about them 

I think this is why the possibility of a guy like Spooner makes sense as to give Horvat proper support. I feel so bad for the guy he has to waste 2-3 precious/prime years playing for a non-contender.

So, latest from the vaunted HW is that the Canucks are interested in Mittelstadt and Makar, according to their draft position.  There may be others they have ranked higher, but depends if they fall to them.  In essence that might not mean much, unless those two go before they pick.  But again, more indications that they are targeting a dman and are apparently still high on Raddysh as well, after which such acquisitions would grease the skids to move a dman/men for help up front.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

I agree with you completely. If we can't get Mittlestadt  then I would go for Heiskanen. If we can't get Heiskanen then I would go for Vilardi. We should be able to get one of these guys. Glass looks good but from what I saw Vilardi and Mittlestadt are on another level.  Heiskanen looks like a first line D

9 hours ago, Vancouver FTW :D said:

As a previous poster mentioned, opinions on Vilardi seem to be very black and white. Here's an article I found on him that makes me like him a lot more than just trusting the CDC chat ; )

2017 Draft: Gabriel Vilardi driven to rise higher

Windsor center generating attention in quest to move up NHL Central Scouting rankings ...

~ I like how he seems like the type of guy that is never satisfied with his game and always trying to improve. Some people have red flagged his skating, but according to Thompson it is the most improved aspect of his game. Personally I value hockey IQ at the top of the list of qualities for a young players potential, and it would seem he's got it according to Matt Ryan of NHL's central scouting. This guy seems like a Benning/Aquaman guy all the way. Benning loves young players in the top ten (Virtanen) Aqua loves his Italians (Sbisa, Luongo, etc.). Anyways just wanted to share the article with you all so we can hear from guys who actually coached and scouted him rather than some goof who watched a highlight package on his mobile phone. This article definetly puts Gabe back in the 5th o/a consideration. I want Vilardi or Glass, not really sold on Middlestat, and the euro D men look good but defenseman gems can be unearthed in the later rounds ( I also think that for a defenseman, international ice gives them a LOT more room to get shots through and a LOT more time to make a play at the blue line ) Necas = just not feeling him @ 5th. Makar = draft day gem, but i feel his size will have him fall down a few draft spots. After reading lots of great discussion over these hundreds of pages I want Vilardi or Glass but obviously wont be disappointed with any other of the considerations as it looks like there are many good players available at 5.

8 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I hope Benning goes the Button route and picks Glass

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Agreed, if you take anything from that article, it's this.  The guy is a work horse just like Bo and it's part of the reason Bo is blowing away the #3 C ceiling everyone pegged him with.  They want to continually get better, they are never satisfied.  Vilardi will be a top line center in the league. 

I agree with many others in that I like Vilardi and Glass. (And that probably means that Benning is unlikely to pick either one.).

While there is a lot of disagreement on the exact ordering of 3 through 9 or 10, it is clear that Vilardi comes in at #3 in any kind of systematic aggregation  In the various rankings listed at http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings  Vilardi is the only guy who is fairly high in pretty much every ranking and is the only guy who pops up at #3 more than once.

I admit that it is harder to project performance in this draft than in recent years. Any one of 10 or 12 guys could end up at #1 in the redraft 5 years down the road, but not all with equal probability. And it is harder to project defencemen, which is a good reason for not taking defencemen with high picks. To me, Vilardi and Glass have the characteristics the Canucks should want, including being smart players who also drive play and make players around them better. Also, have both apparently improved a lot year over year and during this past year. That is a very good indicator as it suggests they are likely to continue to improve quickly. 

• Upvote 3