The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

3 hours ago, Vancouver FTW :D said:

Yes hockey IQ beats everything, just look at how many goals H.Sedin has scored by passing the puck into the net finishing off a great play.

I don't really understand how combine after combine there are guys who cant do 2 pull ups. It is super weird to me. When I was in high school we did fitness testing every year, I never ever stepped foot inside a gym and was pretty scrawny with no bicepts, just noodle arms, yet I would max out at 15 pullups (proper pull ups). 5 was easy, 10 was a struggle, 10-15 were excruciating. ( I was 6.0' / 160-175 Lbs. last 3 years of high school ). Are they just not trying?! Or maybe its just how different peoples bodies are built? I remember the short guys always killed the pull up competitions, from shoulder to elbow and from elbow to wrist their arms were much shorter ( generating more torque? )

It's body type, I can do 70 push ups in a minute with no problem, pretty decent runner etc., but I couldn't do a proper pull-up until last year (after 3 years of rock climbing) and I still max out at 3. People making a big deal of this have no idea what they are talking about.

That said, I'm not sold on Mittlestadt and I wouldn't take him at 5, but not because of the combine.

12 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Patrick interviewed with 3 teams at the combine.  the devils, the flyers, and the Canadiens.  Montreal making a big play?

Price and MTLs 1st for Phillys 2nd OA and....??

3 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Giroux obviously 

Wildly unlikely.

I could see them moving Gally soon though and Price within a couple years as well with Fucale coming up.

Maybe Simmonds and the 2nd OA for Price abd MTLs 1st this year.

People questioning Mittelstadt's commitment over the upper body strength tests are being ridiculous or just ill-informed. If CM would have tanked all of the other tests then there could be merit to the "he's not prepared" crowd. Out of all of the tests that they do, those 2 are probably the least indicative of future success in the NHL. 

Factors that that go into pull up performance are many. IIRC CM scored very well on the endurance and lower body power tests and weighed in close to 200 pounds.  Taking that embarrassing picture into account you can see he doesn't have a very developed upper body. Assuming the majority of his weight is in his legs you start to get an appreciation why he would struggle doing strict pull-ups. Strong legs, though very important for hockey, don't help you pull yourself up to a bar. Was there a lower body strength test? Leg press? Keep in mind that it would be different than lower body power. 

Another BIG factor is limb length which plays a large role in the bench press as well. I don't recall CM's wingspan but if he has long arms he is going to struggle mightily at both pull ups and bench press. It comes down to physics - lever/moment arms, torque etc. If he had a recent growth spurt that would also decrease his performance in these tests.

The physical performance tests at the combine are just more information for teams to make their decision. NHL teams will be weighing the other tests higher than his pull ups and bench press.   

As mentionrd the NCAA is probably the best place for him to be going to improve in these areas of his training. He needs to get stronger without a doubt but for no reason should those tests be a deal breaker.

• Upvote 2

Petersson or mittlestadt

makar or heiskanen

in a perfect situation Canucks take one of the d men with 3rd oa from Dallas and feel comfortable reaching a bit to take petersson at 5. 

Mittlestadt is going to get stronger. NCAA players, especially those who play for a big ten school, have access to the finest facilities and strength coaching available. There is a huge emphasis on fitness in college sports. Those guys work out hard 5 days a week. 

Personally I would stay away from Mittelstadt. I like him as a player. Honestly, he is fun to watch. But I have said it before and I say it again. If any kid would stay in college 4 years go to FA and stay in Minnesota. I think it be Casey. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, monkey2 said:

Personally I would stay away from Mittelstadt. I like him as a player. Honestly, he is fun to watch. But I have said it before and I say it again. If any kid would stay in college 4 years go to FA and stay in Minnesota. I think it be Casey. 

That's a great point.  The kid is so weak it will likely take him all four years in college before he's ready.  

• Upvote 1

I read on here that Liljegren is off our radar. I guess now, for C picks I like Petersson. Dude has some high skills.

I also really like Norris. Even more so now with combine showing he is a physical specimen. Getting him to develop in Michigan with Lockwood would be deadly imo.