The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

He's my first choice after Patrick and heischier 

Just love, when players know they have an opportunity, but that all the roads aren't gold plated. Struggles in life can be used as motivation.

'What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger ' attitude...

11 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

so, some people, don't want makar, some don't want vilaredi, some don't want mittlestadt or glass or pettersson. what is poor JB to do?

For once I believe JB shouldn't be slated too much with his choice of pick, as they all seems so close, although I want me some half full Glass.

Anyone picked in the top 10 could end up being the best player in this draft... 

Yeah I know ' not slated'.... this is CDC. He'll be crucified no matter, who he picks.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I understand that, but tell me who leads the breakout... Erik Karlsson or Kyle Turris?  Kris Letang or Sidney Crosby?

You said it yourself, it starts with the goalie or defenseman. That's why when the puck turns over, the forwards switch to attack mode, and that's why puck carrying offensive defenseman are so valuable.

Tell me offense is hampered by defense next time we talk about Datsyuk, Bergeron, Toews, etc etc.

How do you get a prolific scorer, someone who had put together six straight 100-point seasons, to buy into being a two-way player if that's what you think the team needs?

In the case of Steve Yzerman, all Scotty Bowman had to do was ask.

"I mentioned to him that his stats would go down, but hopefully the team would do better," Bowman told NHL.com of one of his first conversations with Yzerman when he took over as the Detroit Red Wingscoach in 1993. "He was the reason that it did better because he understood what it took and he wanted to be on a winner."

Yzerman's willingness and ability to put the team ahead of his own stats was, according to Detroit GM Ken Holland, one of the table setters for the wave of success the Red Wings have ridden since the mid-1990s.

Detroit's long-time captain -- the longest-serving captain for one team in NHL history (20 years) -- never put up another 100-point season and only once scored over 90, but after Yzerman turned into a two-way threat, Detroit won three Stanley Cup championships in four trips to the Final, and won the Presidents' Trophy five times.

https://www.nhl.com/news/when-yzerman-bought-in-overall-success-followed/c-504907

It's been reported that Jim Nill is "Lukewarm" about Tanev, because he doesn't like his durability issues. So doubtful we'll get Tanev for the 3rd. 

And because it's going to cause the biggest freakout factor (for good and ill) among Canucks fans. I have this sneaking suspicion that Nolan Patrick will fall to the Canucks. 

Then all of CDC is going to be in an uproar. 

Another story about steve Y.   Something to consider in regards to casey's combine tests.

"You know, testing wasn't a big, big thing back then, but Nick Polano put them all through testing and Nick asked the trainer, 'Well, how did the kid's test results go?'" Holland told NHL.com, "The trainer says, 'Well, everybody was excellent except one kid is really weak in a lot of areas.' 

"Well, the guy that was weak in all the areas was Stevie. Nick says, 'Oh, that's not very good news.' 

"A month later he's on the ice and it became very apparent and obvious that that testing didn't matter at all." 

Twenty-three years later, Yzerman retired with 692 goals (eighth all-time) and 1,063 assists (seventh all-time) for 1,755 points (sixth all-time) in 1,514 games (12th all-time).

He won the Stanley Cup three times (1997, 1998, 2002), the Conn Smythe Trophy (1997), the Selke Trophy (2000) and the Masterton Trophy (2003). He appeared in nine All-Star Games and already is in the Ottawa, Michigan and Canadian Sports halls of fame.

Now, the kid that barely tested out as an 18-year-old is going into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

"Needless to say," Holland said, "they threw those test results in the garbage."

https://www.nhl.com/news/when-yzerman-bought-in-overall-success-followed/c-504907

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's been reported that Jim Nill is "Lukewarm" about Tanev, because he doesn't like his durability issues. 

Can you please note the source of this reference as it would be an interesting read.   Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's been reported that Jim Nill is "Lukewarm" about Tanev, because he doesn't like his durability issues. So doubtful we'll get Tanev for the 3rd. 

And because it's going to cause the biggest freakout factor (for good and ill) among Canucks fans. I have this sneaking suspicion that Nolan Patrick will fall to the Canucks. 

Then all of CDC is going to be in an uproar. 

It's already been reported Vegas wants Patrick and will move up to 2nd to get him. He will not be a Canuck.

• Upvote 1

I don't think the Tanman will be traded, if anything he should have been traded before the expansion protection lists were given out, Vegas will most likely take more D and G positions and flip them for a potential high draft pick....  It would be insane and I would probably be doing back flips if we somehow managed to pull getting a 2nd 1st round pick but as we are Canucks fans and with our Canucks luck I will settle for the 5th overall and be happy with that

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

2 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Personally I like Glass. Hard working guy, great character, and seems like good skill set that we need.

He's my preference at #5 but very likely gone at 3 or 4. We don't want a high reward high risk pick, we need a good bet for #1 or #2 C.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

He's my preference at #5 but very likely gone at 3 or 4. We don't want a high reward high risk pick, we need a good bet for #1 or #2 C.

Totally. I envision a great 1-2 punch with Bo if Glass gets up to speed in a couple years.  two big high energy 200 ft centers.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I think the fact that a large number of us want Glass at 5 makes it even less likely we'll get him (although i hope i'm wrong). Last year we were all prepared to take Dubois, and he went at 3. I pessimistically think it will happen again. Because of this, it might be best to target a #1 D-man like Makar or Liljegren, or someone a bit riskier like Pettersson or Mittelstadt. Or in one of my favourite unlikely scenarios, we trade down and take Yamamoto, who is this year's Keller lite.

8 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

I think the fact that a large number of us want Glass at 5 makes it even less likely we'll get him (although i hope i'm wrong). Last year we were all prepared to take Dubois, and he went at 3. I pessimistically think it will happen again. Because of this, it might be best to target a #1 D-man like Makar or Liljegren, or someone a bit riskier like Pettersson or Mittelstadt. Or in one of my favourite unlikely scenarios, we trade down and take Yamamoto, who is this year's Keller lite.

I wanted no part of Dubois.......I thought it would be Tkachuk or Juolevi, leaning towards Tkachuk.

7 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

That is very Pessimistic - but I understand where it is coming from.

But regardless prepare yourself for Glass/Pettersson/Makar and be ready to be happy and hopeful for whichever we get.

Most likley it will be Glass or Pettersson

9 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

trading down would be one of the most counter productive things JB could do in this draft, imo.  Sure, there are good plares throughout the first, but this organization needs top line/top pairing players, not Clayton Kellers

• Upvote 2

I think JB has proven he drafts well.  The Canucks has never in their history had so many potental NHLers in their system.  We will be seeing the players JB has chosen start to be elegible to play in the AHL.  I have confidence that our 5th pick will be Glass.  He seems to be an ideal center to complement Bo.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I wanted no part of Dubois.......I thought it would be Tkachuk or Juolevi, leaning towards Tkachuk.

I was on the Dubois train - he still could be a solid pick. Still very early for him and he finished his year very strong.

• Upvote 1