The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

"As a freshman, you don't expect much. Coach Berenson has given me a lot of opportunities and I've been trying my best." - Lockwood

"He's such a legend. He knows how to play and coach the right way. To play for him is a huge honour." - Lockwood on Red Berenson

"He wants you to learn from mistakes. He won't hold it over your head, he'll just remind you and hopefully you learn." - Lockwood on Berenson

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"As a freshman, you don't expect much. Coach Berenson has given me a lot of opportunities and I've been trying my best." - Lockwood

"He's such a legend. He knows how to play and coach the right way. To play for him is a huge honour." - Lockwood on Red Berenson

"He wants you to learn from mistakes. He won't hold it over your head, he'll just remind you and hopefully you learn." - Lockwood on Berenson

Watched him in a game about a month ago. Very strong on his skates and physical. 200' game. Add some weight and he will be a player.

First game for William Lockwood and MU against Penn state in the Big 10 tourney today starting at 4.30pm.

The University of Michigan ice hockey team (13-18-3) will meet a familiar foe on Thursday (March 16, 8 p.m.), Penn State (21-11-2), in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament at Joe Louis Arena.

THE SERIES
Michigan faces the Nittany Lions for the 19th time, all in B1G regular-season or tournament play, and the matchup marks the second year in a row the two programs have met in the Big Ten Tournament following a regular-season weekend series finale at Yost.

The Wolverines hold a 10-8-0 edge in the all-time series, which dates back to the 2013-14 season.

Michigan is coming off a weekend sweep in Ann Arbor of Penn State, winning Friday, 3-2, while capturing a 4-0 shutout on Saturday. Penn State swept both games of the series when Michigan traveled to State College earlier this season.

Michigan has won seven of the last nine contests against the Nittany Lions, outscoring them 42-24 in those games.

The two programs met in the inaugural Big Ten Tournament opening round during the 2013-14 season, when Penn State bested U-M, 2-1, in double overtime. Zach Nagelvoort recorded a program-record 63 saves in the overtime loss.

Last season, U-M swept the regular-season series, scoring 26 goals over the four-game span. The Wolverines also bested the Nittany Lions in the B1G Semifinals, 7-4.

The two teams met last season at Madison Square Garden in New York, New York, as part of the Big Ten Super Saturday doubleheader with men's basketball. U-M won that contest, 6-3.

Penn State is led by All-Big Ten first team defenseman Vince Pedrie, who led all Big Ten blue-liners in goals with seven while adding 19 assists for 26 points.

Their offensive attack, which ranks second in the country (4.02 goals per game), is led in large part to freshman Denis Smirnov, who leads the country in freshman scoring with 43 points (17 g, 26 a) and a +22 rating.

STARS ALLIGNING FOR NAGS
After a Senior Night shutout over Penn State, which consisted of a season-high 46 saves, goaltender Zach Nagelvoort was named the B1G Hockey First Star of the Week -- his second first-star accolade in the last three weeks.

PIAZZA DELIVERY
Junior defenseman Sam Piazza was named a All-Big Ten honorable mention and Sportsmanship Award honoree after leading the Michigan blueline with 14 points (6g, 8a) in the regular season.

SLAKER LEADS THE WAY
Jake Slaker maintains his team-leading 21 points (7g, 14a) while also leading the team with 14 assists and 14 power-play points heading into the tournament.

WELCOME BACK, COOP
After returning to the team for the second half of the season, Cooper Marody has recorded 14 points (5g, 9a) in 17 games while also leading the team with a .544 (166/305) faceoff percentage.

FIRST TIMERS
Eleven Wolverines have scored their first collegiate goals this season, which include eight freshmen (Will Lockwood, Griffin Luce, Luke Martin, Steven Merl, Nick Pastujov, James Sanchez, Jake Slaker and Adam Winborg), the most rookie scorers since the 2009-10/2007-08 seasons. The freshman class accounts for 84 of the team's 223 total points heading into the tournament.

KEEPER TRIO
Freshmen Jack LaFontaine and Hayden Lavigne have combined with senior Zach Nagelvoort between the pipes for the Maize and Blue, with Lavigne and Nagelvoort appearing in 13 games, while Lafontaine has seen action in 11 games.

TONY TIME
After scoring three goals this past weekend, junior forward Tony Calderone has a team-leading 15 goals heading into the tournament while also riding a team-high four-game goal streak.

CAREER YEAR FOR ALLEN
Senior Evan Allen has recorded nine points in his last 13 games while tallying career-highs in points (12), goals (6), assists (6) and games played (27) this season.

LOCKED IN
After a three assist game against Penn State on Saturday, freshman Will Lockwood has recorded double-digit assists (12) in his rookie campaign to go along with eight goals.

SHORTIES
U-M has registered six shorthanded goals thus far, tied for fourth most in NCAA DI coming into the weekend. They have already reached the total from last season (6). Will Lockwood's two shorthanded goals is tied for third in NCAA DI.

JUST BLOCKIN' IT
Michigan leads all of NCAA DI in blocked shots per game with 17. 74 average and a total of 603 heading into the weekend.

On 2017-03-15 at 11:58 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lockwood looks like he's quietly slipping under a lot of people's radar.

His production on the USHL US under 18 team was probably deflated by the sheer quality and depth of his team-mates.

And then this year, 20 points in 30 games as a rookie 18yr old college player is pretty good - particularly when you consider that Michigan's team leader was a 20 yr old who had 21 pts in 35 games, on a team that wasn't particularly good or high scoring (a team that lost Zack Werenski, Kyle Connor, Tyler Motte, JT Compher),  Lockwood's production looks even better.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Lockwood looks like he's quietly slipping under a lot of people's radar.

His production on the USHL US under 18 team was probably deflated by the sheer quality and depth of his team-mates.

And then this year, 20 points in 30 games as a rookie 18yr old college player is pretty good - particularly when you consider that Michigan's team leader was a 20 yr old who had 21 pts in 35 games, on a team that wasn't particularly good or high scoring (a team that lost Zack Werenski, Kyle Connor, Tyler Motte, JT Compher),  Lockwood's production looks even better.

Only seen him in 2 TV games but he was impressive. His game reminded me of Cole Cassel's. Lockwood likes the physical play from what I could see.

1 hour ago, E. Lindros said:

Sounds like an nhl comparison would be jannik Hansen? Hard worker, decent wheels, can use the body.

Thanks for the insight, he does sound like an interesting prospect with upside.

Hansen wishes he had LockWoods hands at 18. Probably would have been a 30 goal guy lol.

I think Lockwood can get to 20 goals next year. You should key in on his shot volumes. That is a decent indicator for NCAA in my opinion.

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 3:26 PM, WTG said:

Let me copy paste what I said about Lockwood from HF to here, since I think some of you would also be interested in Lockwood ;)

I guess, since it's the end of the season, and I've watched him all season long. I'll say what I think about this player. Don't think there's any illusions that I really like the way he plays, I personally think he's a terrific prospect. One might glance at his point totals and write Lockwood off as a mediocre NCAA pick. Having watched him I can't disagree with that statement enough.

Lockwood's playstyle is very easily transferable to the NHL. His elite motor and good hands are easily tools that will transfer into the NHL. Not to mention his hard, accurate shot. If I were to describe Lockwood's playstyle I'd call him a North-South power forward. His ability to forecheck and receive pucks with his speed are also aspects of his game that I think will transfer into the NHL.

Now to talk about the elephant in the room, his production. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in the fact he only got 20 points in 30 games. There are plenty of prospects who start off having lower productions in their freshman years. Not to mention you have to talk about the context to his low numbers. There's no mistake that this year, University of Michigan hockey team, sucked. Lockwood with his 20 points in 30 games was able to finish 2nd in points despite missing games (the leader in points had 21 in 35). This was a team that went 6 wins, 12 losses, 2 ties, finishing 2nd last in the division. It wasn't a great team, so you can't really expect Lockwood to be a PPG player in such a team, especially, since nobody on his team was close to being a PPG player.

Having said all that, the main difference between players like Lockwood and other players that are top scorers on their respective bad teams. Is that Lockwood playstyle is very NHL friendly, as I already addressed. Some players just have that NHL style that makes it incredibly easy to transfer over and have success. Talking about players like Connor Sheary/Bryan Rust. These are type of players that aren't top scorers in their respective NCAA team. Rather they play the way that makes it easy for the production they have to transfer over. Unlike Sheary and Rust though is I actually think Lockwood's production will go up, much like Gaudette's production went up in his 2nd season, mostly due to Michigan's great recruiting program. Michigan's going to get a lot of re-enforcement next year.

In conclusion, I think Lockwood is a terrific prospect. He's a prospect I'm very high on, someone that could potentially be a 2nd liner in the NHL if he develops well enough. He's got a great shot, fantastic speed, awesome hands, aggressively forechecks, isn't afraid to lay the body for an open ice hit. Somethings he needs to work on is his offensive positioning, sometimes he can seem a bit floaty and not in the right space, also he needs to grow his willingness to use his great shot.

------------------------------

Originally Posted by Pip View Post
WTG, what are your production expectations for Lockwood next year?

It all depends on how good his team is, with sophmore seasons it's hard to predict. Sometimes their PPG go up, like Gaudette, sometimes their PPG goes down like Boeser. I think it all depends heavily on how good the team is, and if the player gets a bigger role on the team and is he able to adapt to that bigger role.

Lockwood, started this year already playing big minutes for Michigan, he was treated like a top player, and unlike Boeser, his team is only looking to get better. In their last weekend of their regular season they went and swept a 2 game series against Penn State one of the top teams in the country (they lost the playoff game the next week). The team as a whole has developed and gotten better. Which is a really good sign for next season, as they are getting some really damn good recruits.

Cutting to the question, I think Lockwood's PPG will improve. I expect him to be around a point per game or better. I also expect him to be above 3 shots per game (finished this year with 2.17 shots per game). I feel that would be a good improvement.

So let's say he plays 35 games, I expect around 15 goals, 20 assists ~110 shots 1 PPG

This year he had 30 games, 8 goals, 12 assists, 65 shots 0.67 PPG

Awesome summation 

To which 2 posters probably immediately shart on it with opinion.

You're brave for risking the cesspool that is HF.

So thanks

On 15/03/2017 at 3:58 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lucky for him WD will be gone

• Upvote 1