The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

38 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

I think the best NHL comparable might already be on our team in Roussel.

Lockwood has a lot of skill though. Roussel was born a grinder but Lockwood is an offensive driver at the college level, and I would bet at least some of it translates to the NHL.

17 minutes ago, Grape said:

Lockwood has a lot of skill though. Roussel was born a grinder but Lockwood is an offensive driver at the college level, and I would bet at least some of it translates to the NHL.

brendan gallagher with less production?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, tas said:

brendan gallagher with less production?

Hmm yes that seems closer. However I genuinely can't think of an entirely accurate comparison right now, though I'm sure there is someone.

Lockwood is interesting because he doesn't have a glaring weakness, like he has all the tools. He's fast, he's skilled, he has a nice wrist shot, he's willingly physical, and competes. You can't even make a comparison because anyone you choose, it seems like you could say "well Lockwood is also ____, he can also do ____."

It's just when he steps onto the ice sometimes those attributes don't all come together at the same time and he doesn't produce points like other top players with his skillset do for some reason. I mean he's close to point per game, but his skillset indicates that it should be even higher. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Grape said:

Hmm yes that seems closer. However I genuinely can't think of an entirely accurate comparison right now, though I'm sure there is someone.

Lockwood is interesting because he doesn't have a glaring weakness, like he has all the tools. He's fast, he's skilled, he has a nice wrist shot, he's willingly physical, and competes. You can't even make a comparison because anyone you choose, it seems like you could say "well Lockwood is also ____, he can also do ____."

It's just when he steps onto the ice sometimes those attributes don't all come together at the same time and he doesn't produce points like other top players with his skillset do for some reason. I mean he's close to point per game, but his skillset indicates that it should be even higher. 

Vintage Hansen for me. Even though his production may lead one to believe that he'll be more offensive than Hansen, i habe my doubts. Don't want to discredit him, as i think hell be a successful bottom 6 player though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, he’s a fun player to watch, with his energy level and drive, and willingness to engage physically. Great speed and a motor that doesn’t quit. Really aggressive checker and high battle level. Loves to hit and engages physically with all comers, regardless of size. He also has a lot of skill when the puck’s on his stick.

He’s the kind of player that could thrive as a bottom-sixer in the pros. Can play a gritty game and provide some shifts that lift the team and set the tone. And has the skill to chip in some scoring, especially against the flow of play, like quick strikes, odd man rushes, and breakaways the other way after a turnover, and he has the hands to finish those chances.

Lockwood is the kind of player that provides memorable moments in games. Scores some big goals. And provides shifts that can turn around the momentum in games. Pearson calls him a game changer, and I think that’s as good a descriptor as any. He’s very noticeable. He affects the game. The type of guy a coach looks to when he needs a big shift and an emotional lift for the rest of the players on the bench.

I could easily see Lockwood becoming a fan favourite for us one day. 

I have only seen him play 2 games and the thing that sticks with me is his neutral zone play. He dominated and consistently either took the puck away from opponents or carried the puck thru the zone making plays. Madden is getting a lot of Canuck press but Lockwood has great potential as well. The core of the 'new' Canucks will be EP40, Bo and the Americans!

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Vintage Hansen for me. Even though his production may lead one to believe that he'll be more offensive than Hansen, i habe my doubts. Don't want to discredit him, as i think hell be a successful bottom 6 player though.

Totally agree. Both Hansen and Roussel are valuable pieces to a successful team. Both guys offer speed, peskiness, and the flexibility to move them up and down the lineup - I expect Lockwood to be the same. My guess is he caps out around 40 points a season (like Hansen and Roussel). There's absolutely nothing wrong with that level of production. Not everyone can be a ppg player haha!

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Oh no doubt that if he reaches a Hansen level that would be incredible. It’s just that IF we were making comparisons it feels like there’s always something else that stick out in his game over the person you’d be comparing him to, for instance with Hansen, it would be Lockwoods hands being a strength and Hansen’s hands not being a strength.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Totally agree. Both Hansen and Roussel are valuable pieces to a successful team. Both guys offer speed, peskiness, and the flexibility to move them up and down the lineup - I expect Lockwood to be the same. My guess is he caps out around 40 points a season (like Hansen and Roussel). There's absolutely nothing wrong with that level of production. Not everyone can be a ppg player haha!

I’m just speaking in terms of college though when I say he’s close to point per game. Obviously if he becomes an NHL regular similar to any of the aforementioned players that’s already an accomplishment. When I’m comparing players though I’m not really thinking level of success, rather I’m thinking style of play, which is why Pettersson and Gretzky get comparisons though Petey obviously is nowhere close

4 hours ago, Grape said:

Oh no doubt that if he reaches a Hansen level that would be incredible. It’s just that IF we were making comparisons it feels like there’s always something else that stick out in his game over the person you’d be comparing him to, for instance with Hansen, it would be Lockwoods hands being a strength and Hansen’s hands not being a strength.

Oh dont worry i remember stone handsen

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, what do we think? Does Lockwood turn pro in 2 weeks and get signed in Utica?

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yup, as expected.  Would think though that at least another year in college would be best for Madden.  He could really dominate next year, and it gives him more time to mature physically.

Will be interesting to see if they burn a year for Lockwood, as they did for Molino.  Probably not a protection issue if he plays out the season here, but you never know.  He could just come in here and take to the league well.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, as expected.  Would think though that at least another year in college would be best for Madden.  He could really dominate next year, and it gives him more time to mature physically.

Will be interesting to see if they burn a year for Lockwood, as they did for Molino.  Probably not a protection issue if he plays out the season here, but you never know.  He could just come in here and take to the league well.

Indeed ! Madden ( stat wise ) seems to have slowed down at Northeastern. If the NCAA season is wearing him down, the AHL/ NHL season might be too much, too soon. No idea how real his 150lb weight stat is, but he does need to add 10/ 20 lbs !

Would be nice to see Lockwood at the pro level !

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

I don't think Lockwood is ready for the NHL, I believe they could sign him in Utica to a PTO and sign him in Vancouver, effective for July 1.

On Madden, personally, I think he'd benefit from another year in College to get stronger. He's had a really good season, but I think he could still use more strength before he has to play in a pro league.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Indeed ! Madden ( stat wise ) seems to have slowed down at Northeastern. If the NCAA season is wearing him down, the AHL/ NHL season might be too much, too soon. No idea how real his 150lb weight stat is, but he does need to add 10/ 20 lbs !

Would be nice to see Lockwood at the pro level !

48 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think Lockwood is ready for the NHL, I believe they could sign him in Utica to a PTO and sign him in Vancouver, effective for July 1.

On Madden, personally, I think he'd benefit from another year in College to get stronger. He's had a really good season, but I think he could still use more strength before he has to play in a pro league.

That's a small body gentlemen?

:bigblush:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's a small body gentlemen?

:bigblush:

Yup, and Lockwood isn't overly big and has a habit of trying to run over players who are much bigger than him age get himself injured. I think might be a good time for him to go pro, but let's give him a year or two in Utica and see how he handles players down there, before we ask him to go into a corner with Getzlaf or someone similar.