The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

11 hours ago, BOHORVAT53 said:

Why do so many people think we will get Hartnell. I love him too, but we could have got a younger Brouwer for free if he wanted. NMC is a deal killer. On top of Sedin Sedin Eriksson Hansen Sutter Baertschi, at least one of Rodin Granlund Gaunce Etem or this new guy we get, will rip it up this year and force us to protect them. With Hartnell in, we risk losing all of those guys. The guy we get will likely be more of a helm type. 10-15 goals, fast, two-way, kills penalties, LW/C, makes under 3 mil, not 34 yrs old. He will likely check opposition 1st line with Sutter and Hansen. Baertschi shouldnt be that guy. Him, Horvat and Rodin/Etem/Virtanen should be given more offensive zone starts.

You guys think its possible he has plans to put Granlund over at LW, and acquires a very good 4th line centre that brings what Richardson did? I think ideally he brings in a guy who can play BOTH C or LW like Granlund. Granlund plays better at centre, but his faceoffs are worse then Vey and McCann

The no move clause doesn't have to follow the player. The purchasing team has the option to void it if the player gets traded. Hartnell has already agreed to waive his nmc.

2 hours ago, fwybwed said:

Im happy with this signing but to restrict him to the Sedins is a mistake. Hope it doesn't stick that way 

I think if that is where he was told and wants to play, play him their. I dont think he would sulk and stink it up like Vrbata but we have committed long term with huge money to Eriksson. Play him with the twins, try to maximize the pts out of the 20m line, they could all be 70pt or more players,

Maybe this signing will prolong the twins career and they may enjoy playing with him and could sign a cheaper deal in a couple years and be the 2nd line with Eriksson? Sedins would have to take a decent pay cut hopefully though as they will be getting up their when this deal is done

1 hour ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

First off, who cares about 6 years from now.   If that's you're worry you need meds. 

You are correct who cares 6 years from now. This statement was likely said in the Mike Gillis era where he signed everybody to a nmc or ntc, and shortly after all those deals were handed out and we started to slide down the standings how did that make all of CDC feel?

Every year teams make these mistakes, thats part of the business. But looking at the construction of our team and where we recently finished this past season I think it would be foolish to not care about a long term high cap hit commitment to a player over 30. This isnt the summer of 2011 or 2012 even. We are trending down, the core is ageing, lots of turnover, no real identity with lots of unknowns still to happen in the next year or two.

I think Eriksson will help our team, with the way athletes train and condition themselves 36 at the end of his deal isnt crazy old, but we are seeing the league be a faster younger players sport. There is risk to any contract, this is a big commitment, lets hope he plays like the Dallas Stars version and his good last year in Boston wasnt due to a contract year and cashing in big as a FA.

• Upvote 2

This was definitely not the worst contract/move of the day. That has to go to those hypocrite Boston Bruins for signing David Backes to that contract when they were only willing to give Loui Ericsson 4 years. They go and give an older player who scores less points more term than they wanted to give Loui?! Ha...ha...hahahahaha hahahaha!!!!!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Yotes said:

I think if that is where he was told and wants to play, play him their. I dont think he would sulk and stink it up like Vrbata but we have committed long term with huge money to Eriksson. Play him with the twins, try to maximize the pts out of the 20m line, they could all be 70pt or more players,

Maybe this signing will prolong the twins career and they may enjoy playing with him and could sign a cheaper deal in a couple years and be the 2nd line with Eriksson? Sedins would have to take a decent pay cut hopefully though as they will be getting up their when this deal is done

I feel regardless that if the Sedins sign again it will come cheaper. They know they aren't the 100 pt players they used to be. I would hope their mindset would be to stick around as second liner players when the newer core takes over and take a paycut to help continue to build the team for the future rather than ask for even more money. 

21 hours ago, BOHORVAT53 said:

Why do so many people think we will get Hartnell. I love him too, but we could have got a younger Brouwer for free if he wanted. NMC is a deal killer.

They'd need to 'pay' us to take Hartnell's contract fwiw. Last I checked getting paid for getting something is even better than getting it for free. 

The NMC does not necessarily get carried forward to the new team. 

15 hours ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

First off, who cares about 6 years from now.   If that's you're worry you need meds. 

Second, the contract was structured so that it's appetizing for a cap floor team in the back end of the contract.   It's not THAT big of a deal for a guy of his calibre. 

I think the Canucks got the best fit for their team and for a reasonable cap hit.  6 mill ain't what it used to be....

I like this newbie already!

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

They'd need to 'pay' us to take Hartnell's contract fwiw. Last I checked getting paid for getting something is even better than getting it for free. 

The NMC does not necessarily get carried forward to the new team. 

If JB had interest in Hartnell, would have figured something would have been done by now.  He seems to check the boxes -- winger, big, physical, 20+ goals.  He'd put us just $1mil over the cap, so they could easily retain a bit or take one of our contracts.

If Loui Eriksson is used on the top line and top PP I can easily see him replicating his last season of 30 goals and 60+ points however if they feel like spreading out the talent in the top two lines and keep Hansen with the twins I'd advise lowering expectations. I'm hoping management can find some top 6 help so they can leave Eriksson with the twins.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If JB had interest in Hartnell, would have figured something would have been done by now.  He seems to check the boxes -- winger, big, physical, 20+ goals.  He'd put us just $1mil over the cap, so they could easily retain a bit or take one of our contracts.

Sbisa and their 2nd back for Hartnell and their 1st

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

Sbisa and their 2nd back for Hartnell and their 1st

Can't see Columbia moving their first. I am not sure that PLD Is going to make them all of a sudden a playoff team. Not out of the question, but still a risk they end up giving us a potential top 10 pick. 

See Hansen staying with the sedins 5x5. Ericsson will definitely be with them on the pp and an occasional shift. His value is in anchoring a second line. Canucks really need to get an effective second line going. Teams have had too easy a time just shutting down the top line and having the rest of the team come up empty. 

4 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

6 OMG does this means he wants to be apart of our team for a long time and he wants to be part of the solution going forward?

No, it means he wants to pad his retirement account for his last big gig for the next six years and then live like a prince. :) Seriously though, I'm sure playing with Hank & Dank on a regular basis was a draw and Vancouver is a great city, if you can afford to live there.

11 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

No, it means he wants to pad his retirement account for his last big gig for the next six years and then live like a prince. :) Seriously though, I'm sure playing with Hank & Dank on a regular basis was a draw and Vancouver is a great city, if you can afford to live there.

Just wanted the peeps who are complaining about the term realize that he wants to be here playing for them for a long time and they should just be happy he is willing to play for these ungrateful whiners.

Edited by CanuckleHorse

Hearing the talking heads on 1040 this morning chuckling over the thought of Eriksson spending time in the second line this year had me shaking my head. Their impression was that it's unthinkable and would be a disaster, that you can't pay him $6 mil to play part time with the Sedins. 

When, in reality, it's MOST likely that he and Hansen swap out several times during the season 5v5 and the coach mixes it up based on play. 

Every team swaps around top 6 players over the course of a season at certain points. 

Man, the morning show is terrible. I like Tom Mayenknecht but he should be more cautious when talking about things not in his expertise. 

Edited by theminister
  • Upvote 1