The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

Just now, Timråfan said:

Ok, can you tell me something good about how Green Coach and use/change strategies during games? 

Has nothing to do with Eriksson, whose thread we're in but alright...

He uses up tempo and aggressive forechecking, so he likes forwards with speed. He's switched up matchups during games quite often when he sees a line is getting overwhelmed, or he switches up the lines. He doesn't switch up the powerplay when it's underperforming but that's not on him, Newell Brown is the powerplay coach. Green however does change the way the team forechecks depending on the opponent, whether or not they have mobile and skilled defense etc.

What does this have to do with Eriksson's shortcomings?

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The problem here is that LE hasn't lived up to his side of the contract. Not the other way around. 

Vancouver has a perfectly fine reputation with being fair to players and would continue to, even if they send, or threaten to send, Loui to Utica.

Players don't want to sign on teams that allow players to float around for three years, not play up to their contract and still get handed a roster spot either

What most negative fans talk about is that he underperform against his salary. Not underperform in the role Green put him in... 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. It would have been one thing if he had just had another ho hum season, but going public with being disgruntled is never a good thing for job security, especially when he's been the issue.

This is fun... If Loui is honest when he talks to a journalist he is bad and if Benning is honest to journalists he's great. Talk about double standards. 

15 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I rather defend players than inept management... Green has a lot to answer for. 

What does Green need to answer for?

Loui is doing his part of the contract. He listens to Green and follow order.

Sure Loui is doing his part. Get in his gear, show up on time, play his shift, and collect his salary. He's a floater out there, and seems to be suffering from an acute case of Vrbataitis.

He can't do much more than that. And as a few poster has said, there is a few players that are worse than Loui. Send them down to Utica first if Utica is ever a valid place to put them. 

You're right. Based on his performance, Eriksson doesn't seem to be capable of much more than the minimum he's putting forth.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Has nothing to do with Eriksson, whose thread we're in but alright...

He uses up tempo and aggressive forechecking, so he likes forwards with speed. He's switched up matchups during games quite often when he sees a line is getting overwhelmed, or he switches up the lines. He doesn't switch up the powerplay when it's underperforming but that's not on him, Newell Brown is the powerplay coach. Green however does change the way the team forechecks depending on the opponent, whether or not they have mobile and skilled defense etc.

What does this have to do with Eriksson's shortcomings?

So you haven't noticed that Markström, Pouliot etc has been left almost alone when trying to be aggressive? 

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

This is fun... If Loui is honest when he talks to a journalist he is bad and if Benning is honest to journalists he's great. Talk about double standards. 

It doesn't have to do with being honest as much as it has to do with taking responsibility for his actions, which he is seemingly deflecting onto Green. Complaining about his deployment, when if you really look at it without the I hate Green and Benning blinders on, you'd see that Green gave him the opportunity to play up and down the lineup. And even with that, he still underperformed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Guddy was traded to another NHL team resulting in a decent player; that is moving on.  Eriksson going to Utica is not 'moving on' as the Canucks still have to deal with his cap hit and he is ultimately humiliated. 

I like that JB is waiting to hear from Loui about his comments, as it's hard to get a proper understanding of the questionable translation we all read.

I don't think Eriksson plays a minute in Utica FWIW ;)

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It doesn't have to do with being honest as much as it has to do with taking responsibility for his actions, which he is seemingly deflecting onto Green. Complaining about his deployment, when if you really look at it without the I hate Green and Benning blinders on, you'd see that Green gave him the opportunity to play up and down the lineup. And even with that, he still underperformed.

I'm sure Loui was a superstar in Sweden.  Now that his production has fallen off the map, his star status is likely done, and younger Swedish players are more popular with the fans over there.  He's trying to hang on to his star status, so he's deflecting responsibility.  He's done as a player.  Send him to Utica.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

So you haven't noticed that Markström, Pouliot etc has been left almost alone when trying to be aggressive? 

Pouliot? What?? Markstrom is seeing a lot of shots because we're just not a very good team. We're rebuilding. We won't be dominating too many opponents or spending too much time in the offensive zone because we are rebuilding. We don't have the skilled players to do that quite yet, but everyone here (not just Vancouver, but around the NHL) is saying that the Canucks did better than what was expected of them at this stage in the rebuild, thanks to Green.

Green isn't the issue with Eriksson. Again, Eriksson severely under-performed under another coach before Green. He only gets so many chances... 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I doesn't hate either Green and Benning. I just think they don't qualifie to be either coach or GM for an NHL-team. This should be the best league in the world... Or?

Loui is better in his position than they are in their positions.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

I doesn't hate either Green and Benning. I just think they don't qualifie to be either coach or GM for an NHL-team. This should be the best league in the world... Or?

Loui is better in his position than they are in their positions.

I think JB is doing a good job rebuilding a young core.  Loui, even when he was signed, was announced by JB as a verteran that would help the young guys become proper professionals.  I think we have guys like Bo now (and Petey, even though he's young) who are natural born leaders, and they set the tone for the team.  I don't see a place for Loui here anymore.  And I don't think any team will want him in trade, so he's down to Utica.  Loui was once a very good NHL player, but time gets us all. 

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think JB is doing a good job rebuilding a young core.  Loui, even when he was signed, was announced by JB as a verteran that would help the young guys become proper professionals.  I think we have guys like Bo now (and Petey, even though he's young) who are natural born leaders, and they set the tone for the team.  I don't see a place for Loui here anymore.  And I don't think any team will want him in trade, so he's down to Utica.  Loui was once a very good NHL player, but time gets us all. 

Well, JB maybe is good at scouting but general manager is a bit different than scouting...  And Utica isn't an option for neither of them. 

• Wat 1

18 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Why not learn a rebuilding team defence before aggressive play? 

An aggressive forecheck is a form of defense. They want to teach the kids the system we are going to be playing when we have more speed and skill. Also, when the Canucks were trying to shut it down they were playing pretty much trap hockey, I'd say that's as defensive of a strategy as you can get. There was often breakdowns because again, we were spending a lot of time in our zone so the mistakes add up. Again, rebuilding team... that's expected to happen.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I might be in the minority here, but I honestly think LE still has the ability to pot 20 goals a season.

Yes, he didn't fair well under Willie D, but man, those years were probably some of the lowest scoring years in recent memory for this franchise.  The top scorer in each of those years for the Canucks barely cracked 50 points on the season. 

And now under Green, he's used as a defensive forward. 

Wouldn't be surprised one bit if he leaves and scores 20 with his new team.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

An aggressive forecheck is a form of defense. They want to teach the kids the system we are going to be playing when we have more speed and skill. Also, when the Canucks were trying to shut it down they were playing pretty much trap hockey, I'd say that's as defensive of a strategy as you can get. There was often breakdowns because again, we were spending a lot of time in our zone so the mistakes add up. Again, rebuilding team... that's expected to happen.

Ok, so I won't see the other team lure Green into their traps the coming season then... Fine by me. I will watch with interest. :)

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Wouldn't be surprised one bit if he leaves and scores 20 with his new team.

I could care less if he scored 50,this cancer should be nowhere near the younger players after his me,me,me cryfest to Swedish media!

The guy has been hot garbage ever since we signed him,the only stand out memory is when he scored on his own net...can't wait till he's gone!

loui-meme.png

Edited by goog16
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, goog16 said:

I could care less if he scored 50,this cancer should be nowhere near the younger players after his me,me,me cryfest to Swedish media!

The guy has been hot garbage ever since we signed him,the only stand out memory is when he scored on his own net...can't wait till he's gone!

loui-meme.png

That is what timrafan looks like after hitting the bong and posting all night!! haha...

...just kidding buddy. :P  It does look like your avatar though.

• Haha 2