The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Well, that's official. There is literally no way Eriksson comes back now. While I am happy to hear that and know that the team won't have a floater as the highest paid player on the roster, this has to have taken away any leverage Benning has in a trade.

I didn't think this would actually boil over, but it seems like it likely has. I'm not sure how Vancouver moves on from that contract, but if we could do it without giving up much, that would be a treat.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I didn't think this would actually boil over, but it seems like it likely has. I'm not sure how Vancouver moves on from that contract, but if we could do it without giving up much, that would be a treat.

is Winnipeg a crazy idea? they only have 4 picks this draft and actually need more prospects.... I hate the idea of giving up a pick + prospect but thats probably what it would take. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

I don’t see why Vancouver should have to give up anything to move LE. If a deal isn’t there, just keep him, as the team has no cap issues. If he doesn’t want to show up to work, he can stay in the press box or go to Utica.  

He wants to leave that badly, he can stay home and let the Canucks terminate his contract like Buffalo did to Berglund. He doesn’t want to leave money on the table?  Then he’ll have to honour the contract he signed. 

It makes no sense to give a prospect or pick to trade him, or do things like swap him for Lucic.  Why make the Canucks worse just to trade LE?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

I don’t see why Vancouver should have to give up anything to move LE. If a deal isn’t there, just keep him, as the team has no cap issues. If he doesn’t want to show up to work, he can stay in the press box or go to Utica.  

He wants to leave that badly, he can stay home and let the Canucks terminate his contract like Buffalo did to Berglund. He doesn’t want to leave money on the table?  Then he’ll have to honour the contract he signed. 

It makes no sense to give a prospect or pick to trade him, or do things like swap him for Lucic.  Why make the Canucks worse just to trade LE?

Excellent post.  I see LE getting waived, and then assigned to Utica.  He will refuse to report, and then both sides will agree to terminate his contract.  He thinks he can still play in the NHL, but no other team will want him.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Excellent post.  I see LE getting waived, and then assigned to Utica.  He will refuse to report, and then both sides will agree to terminate his contract.  He thinks he can still play in the NHL, but no other team will want him.  

Once again...Loui will NOT walk away from 13 million dollars. Stupid suggestion...no offence.

15 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Once again...Loui will NOT walk away from 13 million dollars. Stupid suggestion...no offence.

Do the Canucks even have to pay Loui if he refuses to play? Would seem like a violation of contract terms to me.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Do the Canucks even have to pay Loui if he refuses to play? Would seem like a violation of contract terms to me.

he would be in violation and would not have to be paid. 

I can't see Loui going to Utica if he could make decent money playing in Europe. @Kanukfanatic can't seem to wrap his head around it :lol: but I see it as a slim possibility. And he'd be walking from 9 mil not 13. He could very likely make 1 to 1.5 mil in the KHL with no taxes. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

On 6/9/2019 at 10:40 AM, aGENT said:

Precisely. Or go home to Sweden and play in the SHL.

I HIGHLY doubt he'd have interest in riding buses in Utica for 3 years for $3M per when he's made something approaching $60m in his career. He can probably make something approaching $3m per yer off his investments alone.

The rich get richer.  No need to use coupons and free class all the way.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:35 PM, Timråfan said:

If the Club use Utica as a threat it's something other free agents take notice of and either demand ridiculus money or refuse to come here. The club need to take care of the players they take responsibility of if they want loyalty back.

You can't have it all. Be a moron and you get what you deserve... Some people seems to not know what they miss when they are morons. 

What a load of crap.   The Canucks used Utica with a certain player this  year (while, technically, the Marlies) and it will not harm them in UFA one little bit.   Not one bit.    The business of hockey is inclusive of players knowing very well that if they are not a fit with a team, that movement is possible inclusive of demotion.   Seeing other players demoted opens more opportunity for themselves - that is the more common thought process.

Not one potential UFA considering Vancouver's offer (if they are making offers this summer) will point to Gagner's situation as a stumbling block.  Not one.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he would be in violation and would not have to be paid. 

I can't see Loui going to Utica if he could make decent money playing in Europe. @Kanukfanatic can't seem to wrap his head around it :lol: but I see it as a slim possibility. And he'd be walking from 9 mil not 13. He could very likely make 1 to 1.5 mil in the KHL with no taxes. 

I don't see a team in Europe paying him whatever money he's owed with the Canucks.  He doesn't have the cache of being an allstar for Sweden (ok player but not even on the same stature of a Markus Naslund who was always in Forsberg's shadow).  If the SEL could afford paying average players that kind of money; real elite players like EP would stay over in Sweden.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

43 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't see a team in Europe paying him whatever money he's owed with the Canucks.  He doesn't have the cache of being an allstar for Sweden (ok player but not even on the same stature of a Markus Naslund who was always in Forsberg's shadow).  If the SEL could afford paying average players that kind of money; real elite players like EP would stay over in Sweden.  

I was thinking KHL 

Just now, Alflives said:

Do non Russian players make big money in the KHL?  Loui isn’t really a ticket seller.  

A few do. I dunno, just spitballing. If he wanted to keep making money in hockey that would be the best place. 

Its not going to be easy to move him. If Lucic is the best we can do then yeah I can see him being parked in Utica. There was an interesting idea floated about loaning him to an SHL team, maybe thats a possibility too. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What a load of crap.   The Canucks used Utica with a certain player this  year (while, technically, the Marlies) and it will not harm them in UFA one little bit.   Not one bit.    The business of hockey is inclusive of players knowing very well that if they are not a fit with a team, that movement is possible inclusive of demotion.   Seeing other players demoted opens more opportunity for themselves - that is the more common thought process.

Not one potential UFA considering Vancouver's offer (if they are making offers this summer) will point to Gagner's situation as a stumbling block.  Not one.

We're not talking about Utica as the suitable place for a player. 

So in this case either you misunderstand or put out a load of crap because it's me you're talking to. 

Loui might not be a top 6 player but he isn't a Utica player either. 

Wich means that if he gets to Utica it's either a punishment or bullying with a purpose to force him from the club. 

When an action like this is unfair it's something that will give a negative spin. 

31 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So in this case either you misunderstand or put out a load of crap because it's me you're talking to. 

Wich means that if he gets to Utica it's either a punishment or bullying with a purpose to force him from the club. 

When an action like this is unfair it's something that will give a negative spin. 

it might be harsh, but its not unfair. He gets paid no matter what. His NMC is over as well, so he had protection from this for 2 years. He's not owed anything but his salary.

It may just be that he doesn't fit on this team. We have too many capable bottom 6 players that can play with more grit and he doesn't fit on the top 6 (although I do still think he could make it work with Pearson and Bo but I'm in the minority on that thinking :lol:).

Edited by Jimmy McGill

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Loui was brought in and signed to be a top six player. He has not come close to living up to the expectations placed on him especially considering what he is being paid. His dismal performance has got him to where he is now. He is not the first veteran player to be sent down to the minors and will not be the last as many teams have resorted to that if a player drastically under performs while under contract. It is neither unfair nor likely to have any negative spin attached to it. My guess is that JB will try to move him to another team first if he can make it a workable proposition. If that fails he is more than likely Utica bound.... as he should be based on his sub par performance. 

You can spin your narrative any way you choose but this whole debacle falls directly on Loui's shoulders.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
grammar
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

A few do. I dunno, just spitballing. If he wanted to keep making money in hockey that would be the best place. 

Its not going to be easy to move him. If Lucic is the best we can do then yeah I can see him being parked in Utica. There was an interesting idea floated about loaning him to an SHL team, maybe thats a possibility too. 

Much as I harp on Loui, I wouldn't want to deal him for Lucic.  At least Loui can play a role in the bottom six.  Might as sign GSP to a PTO if we need fists on the bench.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1