The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and its 9 mil over 3 years after July 1st. Its not inconceivable that he could make that or very close to it somewhere else. 

Actually yeah it is inconceivable. If it wasn't the whole NHL fanbase would not be calling him a joke at that salary.  If you don't understand this keep spinning some stupid narrative that Loui will walk away from 13 million (or 9 million) .....whatever lol.  :frantic:

Edit: Plus you might want to read my whole post where I said 9 million. Comprehension matters.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Actually yeah it is inconceivable. If it wasn't the whole NHL fanbase would not be calling him a joke at that salary.  If you don't understand this keep spinning some stupid narrative that Loui will walk away from 13 million (or 9 million) .....whatever lol.  :frantic:

Edit: Plus you might want to read my whole post where I said 9 million. Comprehension matters.

OK champ. 

45 minutes ago, mll said:

Has there been a case where both parties agree to terminate the contract but the player then stays in the NHL rather than go abroad - is it even allowed.  

Not exactly to your example, but Mike Richards and LA agreed (after LA initially outright terminated his contract) on a settlement between the two parties that will have LA paying Richards until about the time Connor McDavid is thinking about retirement.  Afterwards, he continued to play in the NHL for several years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats a good question but I don't see why not? I guess we could get retroactively punished like with Lu. 

I would be surprised if it's allowed.  

After his bonus payment he will have been paid 27M and played only 3 seasons - that's an average salary of 9M when his cap hit was only 6M.  It's similar to those recapture contracts.    

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

'Often'...uh-huh. Rarely. He's a LD.

Hughes can be more creative offensively on his off side but struggles more defensively. It's not ideal. He can (and does) always have the option to swap sides in the neutral/offensive zone when available anyway. Doesn't make him RD depth.

To each their own indeed. You don't have to like the proposal or player but either way, your valuation is WAY off.

Your valuation is way off on Ceci. I don't know if you've seen him play. I feel like you're going by numbers. He's nothing special at all. I can say the same thing about Juolevi, not sure you've been following him or how he's deployed either. In Finland he was mostly playing RD.

The bottom line is we can easily find bottom pairing Dmen in free agency regardless of their handedness. No point in targeting Ceci whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

I would be surprised if it's allowed.  

After his bonus payment he will have been paid 27M and played only 3 seasons - that's an average salary of 9M when his cap hit was only 6M.  It's similar to those recapture contracts.    

I guess thats possible, so if thats true then a deal retaining 50% of his salary is the way to go for sure. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Your valuation is way off on Ceci. I don't know if you've seen him play. I feel like you're going by numbers. He's nothing special at all.

I tend to agree about Ceci. 

Many, many reports about him being quite overrated.

I know it's only one article but if anyone's looking at Ceci as a viable trade target I would suggest you look more carefully:

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/05/30/ottawa-senators-cody-ceci/

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

I tend to agree about Ceci. 

Many, many reports about him being quite overrated.

I know it's only one article but if anyone's looking at Ceci as a viable trade target I would suggest you look more carefully:

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/05/30/ottawa-senators-cody-ceci/

Exactly.

I was in NS for a few years and I watched more than enough Sens (& Habs & Laughs) games to know what he brings to the table as a player. He's nothing special. And no he can't play top 4 mins, he simply had to sometimes due  to injuries (namely to Karlsson), but you would NOT want him in the top 4. The poster I'm talking to has tried to jam Ceci down multiple posters throats and nobody is having it but somehow he still thinks everyone else is way off with their valuations and he's right.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Your valuation is way off on Ceci. I don't know if you've seen him play. I feel like you're going by numbers. He's nothing special at all. I can say the same thing about Juolevi, not sure you've been following him or how he's deployed either. In Finland he was mostly playing RD.

The bottom line is we can easily find bottom pairing Dmen in free agency regardless of their handedness. No point in targeting Ceci whatsoever.

My valuation of him is just fine. He's been playing over his head as the primary match up guy on arguably the worst team in the league as a #4-5 D. Nobody's going to look 'good' in that situation. And a 25 year old #4-5 D with decent size and skating is worth a HELL of a lot more than a 3rd round pick.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My valuation of him is just fine. He's been playing over his head as the primary match up guy on arguably the worst team in the league as a #4-5 D. Nobody's going to look 'good' in that situation. And a 25 year old #4-5 D with decent size and skating is worth a HELL of a lot more than a 3rd round pick.

Well have fun on your island with that valuation. I'm willing to bet money you haven't seen him play and you're going off of media articles and stats. Seems like you just enjoy hearing your own voice.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Vanuckles said:

Well have fun on your island with that valuation. I'm willing to bet money you haven't seen him play and you're going off of media articles and stats. Seems like you just enjoy hearing your own voice.

I have indeed seen him play, over his head on arguably the worst team in the league.

Shockingly it doesn't end well for him. 

Ditto.

I find it amusing how everyone seems to blame JB for his poor signing of Eriksson. However, if you just go to the first few pages of this thread you will see that there is virtually no one that says anything negative about the signing of Loui. All the posts are overwhelmingly positive and seem to agree that he was good value.

Its pretty tough to lay the blame on JB. I think we were ALL thought we were getting something much more in LE.

Oh well, time to move on I say!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I remember that July 1st and the LE signing was seen very differently from today. Most fans were going insane that we had to sign one of the big names. We had to have Lucic but then ED got him and people were mad, then JB signed Eriksson and crisis averted. He'd just had a great year in Boston and it seemed a good signing if we were big game hunting which was supposed to get us a little bit more playoff action before the Sedins were done. It seemed a good idea but fit right into that 'big year on the contract year' situation where afterwards it wasn't worth it.

There was a lot of pressure on JB to sign one of the big FAs and he did. If he hadn't people would have lost their minds. So its a damned if you do and damned if you don't sort of deal.

That all being said there is no way we should entertain a Lucic for Eriksson trade unless it has Lucic waving and not having his NTc/NMC honoured by the Canucks. Why the heck would we protect this plug over a younger player in the expansion draft? ED's 8 OA pick comes pack and we send nothing else. Why would we do ED a favour and help them out? They signed Lucic who everyone knew was going to get old and slow, so they can suffer or pay to get out of it. If that deal isn't to ED's liking then cool we will keep LE. He can go to Utica and ride the bus for the next few seasons and maybe we can trade him later. We don't have to trade him this minute, Van isn't in a cap trouble situation so we can wait it out. Again, why do ED any kind of a favour...because Lucic wants to come here and wants out of ED? Who cares. Same goes for Zaitzev in TO we don't need that kind of contract at all, and TO won't put anything good in. No one is going to help Van with LE so we don't need to go help someone else unless it benefits us. We just aren't in a bad enough cap situation that we can't sit on LE a bit longer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Barring a trade what would the buyout be for the 9 million left after July 1?

I believe the annual ''signing'' bonuses, which are a high% of his total package, have to be paid both in real dollars. And cap hit after buy out.

There was a negligible savings for buying him out.  And extended it to 6 years in liu of 3.

• Cheers 1

On 6/1/2019 at 2:17 AM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Loui needs a fresh start and the Canucks need a new look.  Lord give us a trade

Caught this on Canucks Way,. From the JB interveiw..

Benning appeared on Sportsnet 650 and shared a handful of updates on his players, per Rick Dhaliwal. Among them:

• He talked to the agent of Nikita Tryamkin and wouldn’t rule out a return for the 6-foot-7 Russian blueliner.
  • The Canucks want Luke Schenn to return. Benning has been keeping in contact with his agent
  • Benning will talk to Loui Eriksson after complaining about his role under head coach Travis Green. Benning said they may discuss the matter this week.
  • Finally, Benning said that contract negotiations with Boeser “have gone in the right direction,” and he denied reports that the two sides were “far apart.”

All good news...  sounds like JB has laced em up again.

• Cheers 3

On 6/1/2019 at 11:57 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Barring a trade what would the buyout be for the 9 million left after July 1?

Not worth it, almost no cap savings whatsoever and we carry almost the full cap hit for 2 years, 3.55mil the 3rd year and an additional 555k for the following 3 seasons. Not worth it imo. 

• Thanks 1

Hypothetical question (Notice, I'm not creating a whole new thread for this)

Eriksson is due a 4 million bonus on July 1st.

After that, say around July 15th, could he just decide to retire from the NHL and return to Sweden to finish his career?

We'd save 6 million off cap, he'd be walking away from 9 million, but would leave with a 4 million parting gift.

Would we be subject to any recapture penalties? We wouldn't be buying him out, would be mutual decision to terminate the remainder of his contract so that he could retire and play in another league.

I really don't believe that this is going to happen, just trying to figure out what our exposure would be if that could transpire....

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hypothetical question (Notice, I'm not creating a whole new thread for this)

Eriksson is due a 4 million bonus on July 1st.

After that, say around July 15th, could he just decide to retire from the NHL and return to Sweden to finish his career?

We'd save 6 million off cap, he'd be walking away from 9 million, but would leave with a 4 million parting gift.

Would we be subject to any recapture penalties? We wouldn't be buying him out, would be mutual decision to terminate the remainder of his contract so that he could retire and play in another league.

I really don't believe that this is going to happen, just trying to figure out what our exposure would be if that could transpire....

It's been discussed if you browse back through the thread. As of right now, I don't believe there's any rules specifically against it.

But yes, it is unlikely and I'm sure Benning will attempt to find a trade to a cap basement team once his bonus is paid and his contract is 'upside down'. Failing that however, I'd not be shocked to see us waive him and call his bluff on riding buses in Utica for his remaining $9m over three years. I wouldn't be shocked to see him mutually terminate under that scenario, should it get that far.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1