The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Bo Horvat's next contract/extension

Bobby_Lu1ngo

wanted to hear thoughts on how management should handle this contract. I look at it as a very important piece in building the team going forward. 

Do we sign this summer to extention hoping to save some money from a potential break out year offensively? Do we wait to see how he produces for another year?

If we sign him now should we go all out 6 to 8 years hoping it becomes a bargain later on or go with a bridge deal?

examples: 

bridge deal 3 years 9 to 11m cap hit range 3 to 3.75 (great deal if he goes 60+ pts in the span)

7 yr 30 to 35 mill cap hit ranges 4 to 5

Bridge deal. No reason to lock ourselves into two centreman for the next half a decade. Bo has shown a ton of promise but it's in everyone's best interest and financial wellbeing to take it in steps at this point. 

I want to wait and see what kind of a season he has this year before committing. If he has a similar year to last year then a bridge deal is probably the best idea. If he exceeds expectations then go for a long term extension.

41 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

3 years at 3M

Or

8 years at 4.5M

I think 8 years at 4.5m would be a steal; 4.5m is the average even for a half decent 2c. That being said... I could see Bo taking a bridge deal if he surpasses his point total from last year.

If he ends up being a 60 pt centreman, he'll be looking at a Kesler like salary and term.  

CDC has to stop dreaming of such low salary expectations.  If you knew you had the potential for an extra 20 million dollars at another job, you'd take it. 

8 years at 4.5 /5... the guys never satisfied, Works on his weaknesses continuously. He was criticized on his speed and FO%.Dont hear much on that now. IMO these are the guys you BUILD a cup team of not around. Great deal for the Nucks

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

We're definitely waiting another year. Horvat has not proven himself yet. Not on the level of Forsberg, Ekblad, Jones, Barkov. 

Remember these guys get the gushy easy first line minutes and PP time, plus offensive zone starts.  If we moved Horvat to the the wing and played him with the Sedins he would get 60pts too.   

All things being equal he would have outperformed Barkov last year and not far off Forsberg.   Can't remember how many Florida players over years played for terrible teams but somebody had to get the best minutes, got 50-60pts and then moved on to say Detroit for example and then moved to the second line and couldn't sniff 40pts....  

Horvat will likely get a contract in the 5mill range for term if he gets 50pts this year, which he probably will do.

1 hour ago, Rocky Balboa said:

If he ends up being a 60 pt centreman, he'll be looking at a Kesler like salary and term.  

CDC has to stop dreaming of such low salary expectations.  If you knew you had the potential for an extra 20 million dollars at another job, you'd take it. 

Yep.  Probably more money.

I think you guys are dreaming about him signing an 8 year deal at 4.5 million. The kid is a workhorse and has shown huge improvement every season. I think he'll want to sign a bridge contract to see where he can get himself value wise before signing long-term. I'm expecting 3.5-4 million bridge contract for 2-3 years followed by a long-term 6-8 year contract around 5-6 million if his production value continues to rise towards 60-70 points a season.

2 hours ago, Dannydog said:

8 years at 4.5 /5... the guys never satisfied, Works on his weaknesses continuously. He was criticized on his speed and FO%.Dont hear much on that now. IMO these are the guys you BUILD a cup team of not around. Great deal for the Nucks

He has NEVER been criticized about his FO%. At least since we drafted him. However I do agree with your point that he tries to improve his weaknesses.

Archived