The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forward group is FAR too soft. #GroundhogDay. Here we go again.

Positive Canuck

Are the Canucks Forward Group as currently constructed FAR too soft ?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I don't really know why the topic is being brought up now actually just because we signed eriksson?

he literally just switched out vrbata and actually adds toughness 

Tough to judge the line toughness when you don't throw out a starting line up

the group as a whole is softer than charmin.

I agree the Canucks forward group lacks physicality and truculence, and it needs to be improved as we move along. But it's tough curing a long list of ills over a short timespan.   Making the D more difficult to play against was a more pressing concern, and Jim is dealing with that part very well. 

Just now, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Well how many tough players do you want per line? Your not giving up much info and how does that relate to other teams toughness? How many tough players per line is adequate?

personally i think we need 2 more powerforward type beasts up front.

2 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

I agree the Canucks forward group lacks physicality and truculence, and it needs to be improved as we move along. But it's tough curing a long list of ills over a short timespan.   Making the D more difficult to play against was a more pressing concern, and Jim is dealing with that part very well. 

Benning did well on the back end, i hope he gets serious on the forward core

29 minutes ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

Okay I can tell what type of fan you are. I've assembled a dream lineup for you.

Lucic - Konopka - Dorsett

Sestito - Boyle - Scott

Glass - Cracknell - Ferland

Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

You forgot Jack, Steve, and Jeff Hanson.

48 minutes ago, Positive Canuck said:

You wont find many posters here that are more supportive of Benning and excited to see Gudbranson + Tryamkin destroying the opposition but that being said,

this forward core is back to being laughably soft and will be getting manhandled once again,

its like Groundhog Day.

Benning is on the record saying he wants to add a tough winger, is one even enough ?

Sedin

Sedin

Hanson

Granlund

Baershi
Rodin
Burrows
Sutter

3/4 of our forward group doesn't lay a body check or provide an ounce of intimidation.

Neutrel

Horvat  (almost zero physicality)
Etem   (meh)

Sandpaper- ish

Dorsett (middle weight at best)
Young Kid Virtanen 

I would say we are at least 2 forwards away from having NHL level of balance in that department.

Do you agree that this forward group is far too soft ?

Of course the forward group is too soft, and as soon as the team gets a couple of physical, bottom-6 types the sooner some can all get back to complaining about how there are too many physical, bottom-6 types on the team. :)

regards,  G.

I wouldn't really say we're laughably soft... theoretically burrows and hansen plays a chippy game, Horvat and Sutter are big centers strong on their skates, and even the Sedins are strong on the boards where these 'hard heavy' players make their coin..

Do I think we need another Dorsett? a Matt Martin? no I think we need to shore up the scoring first then add those types of players around them. That said if theres a player who can do both, ala E.Kane, Lucic, etc then they would be more preferred than pure scorers...

Which is another reason we have Virtanen as well who can be that kind of fast heavy scorer one day.

57 minutes ago, Oliewud said:

I totally agree. They need a big gritty talented 2nd line winger to play with Sven and Bo.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Horvat Hartnell
Etem Sutter Hansen
Burrows Granlund Dorsett

This one.

Listening to Etem on 1040 he was talking about how he went back to his physical roots late in the season and it was paying off. He put up points and had a good finish. He stayed back in Van to train over the summer and plans to come out of the gate being a physical presence next year. He's  one to keep our eye on this season.

Gudbranson is going to be contagious for guys like Etem Virtanen and Dorsett. Everyone gets an inch taller with him on the ice. I think we're in good shape but welcome another heavy hitter that can put the puck in the net. If Kane is in the bargain bin, I'm all in. He may be a headcase, but he stroked out petrovic three times in one game lol. If nothing else he's a good bridge until Virtanen is ready for big minutes.

3 minutes ago, thad said:

Listening to Etem on 1040 he was talking about how he went back to his physical roots late in the season and it was paying off. He put up points and had a good finish. He stayed back in Van to train over the summer and plans to come out of the gate being a physical presence next year. He's  one to keep our eye on this season.

Gudbranson is going to be contagious for guys like Etem Virtanen and Dorsett. Everyone gets an inch taller with him on the ice. I think we're in good shape but welcome another heavy hitter that can put the puck in the net. If Kane is in the bargain bin, I'm all in. He may be a headcase, but he stroked out petrovic three times in one game lol. If nothing else he's a good bridge until Virtanen is ready for big minutes.

well said, agree.

Our division dictates that we need to be bigger and stronger up front for sure.  I think Horvat is a gritty player.  He could use a gritty scoring winger.

I like Hartnell, and the price may be affordable.

Bottom 6...  Virtanen, Hansen, Burrows, Sutter, Dorsett, Gaunce, Etem...  They all have elements of grit.

D is looking grittier.

Im not that worried and do believe Benning will add a gritty winger for the middle 6.

I think it's pretty well rounded the way the lineup should be.

Not every forward you have on a team is going to be 'tough' 

Our blueline is not going to be one that is messed with often, lots of beef back there.

I'm not worried.

Archived