The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Green back in Utica as Head Coach for another year

TheRussianRocket.

1 hour ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I'm surprised at 1. How transparent his statements are and 2. How excited CDCers seem at what essentially is his goodbye statement. I expected him to be looking elsewhere, but his statements come across to me as almost a slap in the face. And while it's great he's sticking around for a year, I'm not sold that Willie's on his way out and Green's on his way in. Time will tell. 

I don't think Willie is on his way out either. Unfortunately, good AHL coaches get hired by other teams. I've been preparing to lose Green since he first started getting recognition 2 years ago. 

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

You have to wonder why Anaheim chose not to sign him. Do they see some thing we don't ?

Yea, a coach with zero NHL experience.

I get that he wants to be able to jump straight into a head coach position, but that may not be in the cards for him. Most head coaches have served time as an assistant first for a reason.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I get that he wants to be able to jump straight into a head coach position, but that may not be in the cards for him. Most head coaches have served time as an assistant first for a reason.

It's been a bit of  trend recently to bring in "a new breed of coaches" I think there's a number of examples. But I tend to think your position has value, but,  Glen Gulutzan was promoted in Dallas direct from the AHL, heck Johnson was promoted by Pitts direct from Junior and I think there are others. Dare I mention Willy :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

:towel::towel::towel: 

...thank god! Was that ever a well deserved break for the Canucks. Long overdue with how many times this team gets burned. 

Get to keep Green for another season. Great for the Comets and prospect development.

Not to mention, gives Vancouver a succession plan if this ends up being Willie's last season. The way he coaches and his inability to do certain things in game, such as adjusting lines etc etc etc, will lead to his fall imo since he hasn't learned from years past. Nothing against Willie, just that Green is more important me thinks with the youth movement and he has more potential to do bigger and better things if given the chance.

The whole of your last para is supposition and opinion. I'll make a guess, you know nothing about line matching, Most people who don't coach in the professional leagues don't and even some who do have a loose understanding it seems according to coaches themselves - because there are so many factors involved.  

You need to stop trolling this media nonsense out as if it was gospel.

As for Green (who I do rate) does he have a Calder Cup? Oh no but Willie does. Judging a coach by his age is puerile, coaches win because they have the right players, get the breaks at the right time and are born winners, age has nothing to do with it.  Willie by the way has worked with youth successfully for most of his career and not even just as a hockey coach but you knew that, right?

2 hours ago, Canuck_Fan_52 said:

Very nice!  He has been a good fit developing our young guns. 

Which young guns are these?

Willie has done a better job with players who hardly knew Green. 

Green himself said Gaunce came back down a far better player than he went up at the end of the season. Pedan has been anything but steady imo.

People need to stop painting their bias as if it were fact when it comes to Green being Willie's successor. As I said before it is strange Anaheim went for a 'failure" rather than Green who appears to be known by some on here as "the second coming"

12 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Green himself said Gaunce came back down a far better player than he went up at the end of the season. Pedan has been anything but steady imo.

People need to stop painting their bias as if it were fact when it comes to Green being Willie's successor. As I said before it is strange Anaheim went for a 'failure" rather than Green who appears to be known by some on here as "the second coming"

Thanks for your feedback and question.

Markstrom, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Hutton, (to your credit it is still early in the season, so we have yet to see them show their full potential)

Which players?

Everyone has their opinion.  Let's see how the next season pans out between them.

Good for Utica - not as good for Green. He will likely have to become an assistant. 

Why are most already lining up to drive WD to the airport? Let's see how he does this year with a half decent team. 

We we were all super excited when we hired Willie - he was receiving the same amount of praise that we are all giving Green. Isn't Willie more decorated than Green anyway? That isn't to say he is a better coach because I do t know the answer to that. However, we all seem to be quick to criticize WD for his growing pains and adjusting to the NHL; what makes you think Green will be any different?

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

It's been a bit of  trend recently to bring in "a new breed of coaches" I think there's a number of examples. But I tend to think your position has value, but,  Glen Gulutzan was promoted in Dallas direct from the AHL, heck Johnson was promoted by Pitts direct from Junior and I think there are others. Dare I mention Willy :rolleyes:

Gulutzan is a bit of a rarity and didn't last very long in Dallas. I would call that a failed experiment.

Johnston had quite a bit of assistant experience with Vancouver and LA before being hired by Pittsburgh from the Winterhawks. Wilie also had experience in the NHL with Dallas as an assistant.

It does happen, but it's rare that it happens and is a success. Coaches are like players, they need to gain experience at lower levels, and in lesser roles before they're ready to be leaders.

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I appreciate that fans are supportive of Green, but if things don't work out for Willie, is it worth considering someone with NHL experience this time around?

Barring any major improvements to Utica, if Travis Green can lead next year's team to as much as a 7 game first round I hope he's considered for an assistant position behind the Canucks' bench or taking over for Willie if he's not brought back after next season.

His amount of success with coaching Baertschi alone makes me hopeful. Plus, Marky Mark had a huge season goaltending in his system. Plus he's had success with Jordan Subban and Brendan Gaunce (who might make the team). And Pedan seemed to do well in Utica. Probably a few others in the upcoming year...

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Gulutzan is a bit of a rarity and didn't last very long in Dallas. I would call that a failed experiment.

Johnston had quite a bit of assistant experience with Vancouver and LA before being hired by Pittsburgh from the Winterhawks. Wilie also had experience in the NHL with Dallas as an assistant.

It does happen, but it's rare that it happens and is a success. Coaches are like players, they need to gain experience at lower levels, and in lesser roles before they're ready to be leaders.

Yeah the argument is do they the best experience by being a head coach at AHL or an side kick in the NHL. Greene had chnaces to be an assistant NHL coach but spurned the opportunity as he felt being a head coach and shouldering the requisite responsibility meant more

Archived