The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden on TSN1040

Outsiders

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

For the zero return we got for Kassian.

It would have made more sense to suspend him from the team and not pay him due  until he got treatment.

Plan B would have been to send him down to Utica.

I know for a fact that many NHL players have some pretty serious alcohol abuse issues. Lets not make a monster out of Kass.

Clearly he had a problem. I would have preferred to see the Canucks stick with Kass and get his problem treated.

Trading Kass for scraps was a terrible trade.  In fact we paid ( a pick ) to  give away Kass for a 2.5 mil Prust.

Brutal is the only way to describe this Trade  / Give away.....

I agree the trade was not great, but I see why Benning was interested in Prust.  If he got what he was expecting, then it would have been an ok trade, where we lose a lost cause in Kassian, but gain a character, gritty player in Prust. 

Turns out only Montreal got what they were expecting.  We did not. 

As for the interview (a little late to the game), Linden is indeed playing the executive, but I'm fine with that. We cannot expect our entire management to be as open and candid as Benning is. I think Trevor's demeanour brings balance. 

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You say so.   

Face is Habs fans knew that Prust body was falling apart on him....

LOL

Reaction from fans in both cities has been split about the trade, but Bergevin made a good move. At age 31, Prust’s best days are behind him and his body has taken a beating, while at 24 Kassian still has time to prove himself and a contract year should certainly provide motivation.

The face knows everything...

"Reaction from fans in both cities has been split about the trade..."

You said Habs fans were laughing at us.

So we can piece together (from Desi's alt accounts) that Desi is from Surrey where he has some sort of small man syndrome or complex related to not being respected enough. He sees himself as an expert on canucks and all other teams fan bases. What else am I missing?

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Turns out only Montreal got what they were expecting.  We did not. 

If they were expecting a player that would never play a game for them then, yeah.  Or flip for Scrivezina....or Scrivezinov lol.

Much ado about nothing.

Anyone care to get this thread back on topic - the Linden interview.

This micro-sidetrack has more than run it's course.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

If they were expecting a player that would never play a game for them then, yeah.  Or flip for Scrivezina....or Scrivezinov lol.

Much ado about nothing.

Anyone care to get this thread back on topic - the Linden interview.

This micro-sidetrack has more than run it's course.

Vancouver gave up a  5th round pick and  Kassian for ZERO. 

Terrible deal

Could have cost us a  Jamie Benn  ( he was a 5th round pick ) 

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Vancouver gave up a  5th round pick and  Kassian for ZERO. 

Terrible deal

Could have cost us a  Jamie Benn  ( he was a 5th round pick ) 

Hindsight is 20/20.  Benning couldn't have known Prust would have sucked so bad.  

And besides that, you are living in the past of Kassian's potential.  He didn't play for Montreal because, like the Canucks, nobody wanted him there. You talk about giving up Kassian for nothing, but that seems to have been his worth while he was sorting himself out.

So in the end, Montreal got a 5th, and we got nothing.  It happens. A 5th isn't much, and probably not worth being so sore about this much later. 

Oh, and it is a ridiculously rare occurrence that a player drafted in the 5th ends up a Benn. Chances of us using that to draft a player that would even see a regular role in the NHL is highly unlikely.  I'm willing to see Benning make future trades like this where it is based on reasonable logic, but if unsuccessful only loses us a 5th. 

26 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree the trade was not great, but I see why Benning was interested in Prust.  If he got what he was expecting, then it would have been an ok trade, where we lose a lost cause in Kassian, but gain a character, gritty player in Prust. 

Agreed. I had higher hopes for Kassian. Didn't like the trade at the time, especially giving up the picks. I wasn't aware the off-ice issues were as bad as they apparently were, however I did understand the logic behind the trade. It obviously did not work out. Had Prust not mailed it in (in my opinion) people wouldn't be so against the move. Much easier judging trades after the fact.

Jamie Benn was a 5th round pick

Brett Hull was 6th round

Doug Gilmour was a 7th 

Alfredson was a 6th

Are  you serious about chucking in the 5th for ZERO  ?

the canucks passed on all those guys...... who says they dont do it again.

5 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Why the hell wouldn't we let OJ go the AHL since is a rare exception to the CHL rules because he is an import. At the very least give him a few games there before back to London. 

Wow...., can someone explain this one more time so it's crystal clear to everyone. I'm done. 

2 Million  Habs fans knew PRUst was washed up and damaged goods.

Habs fans laughed hard at us   taking Prust off their hands...

Talk about revisionist history. You seem to have a serious disconnect with reality. Prust was a really good locker room guy and he was obviously missed in a big way in Montreal last season.

You also seem to forget that Prust played well for us last year for about a month before he went into the corner hard and rolled up his ankle. He was never the same after that and it directly relates to his statement about McCann and sticking up for himself. Can you imagine trying to fight on one leg?

For a guy that isn't the best skater in the first place, when he gives up half a step he is bound for the AHL, where he ended up. 

2 hours ago, Jam126 said:

And what are the chances of landing that type of player?

No chance if U don't have the pick...

Hansen, Bure, Hutton, Bieksa, etc.  all late rd picks. Many many great players have come from late rds. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. etc. etc...

Jb is high on Tate Olsen who he got in the 7th I believe.

Never know...:shock:

My problem with the Kassian + 5th for Prust deal is that when Benning decides that a player is not a fit then he checks the market and gets complete crap.  How is he approaching this with other GM's?  He definitely can't up sell a spoiled product.  He is no snake oil salesman.  And I love Benning and I understand what he is doing with the team.  Benning gets +++++.  But when he is done with a player he is done and gets nothing.  Got nothing for Hamhuis, nothing for Vrbata, nothing for Higgins, nothing for Prust, gave Kassian away.  Maybe they are not worth anything???   I'm not an insider... I don't know what Benning is saying to other GMs?  All I know is that other GMs have been able to acquire other assets for pieces that they didn't think fit with their teams.  I understand that you need a trading partner, but Calgary got assets for Russell and Hudler.  Plenty of other questionable pickups at the trade deadline.  As a fan that wants the best for his team this just seems like a weakness of JB.  And I love what JB brings.  Linden and Benning can fool themselves all they want but the ability to sell a player you don't want to another team for an asset is a skill that I have yet to see this management team accomplish.  If you disagree take a look at the players that moved at the deadline and see if you still disagree.

16 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I understand that you need a trading partner, but Calgary got assets for Russell and Hudler.

What offers did Benning get for Hamhuis and Vrbata, other than a last-minute stink-bid for Hamhuis?

17 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Plenty of other questionable pickups at the trade deadline.

2nd for Sven Baertschi

Jeffrey for Conacher

Shinkaruk for Granlund

5th for Larsen

Those are all the TDL (and pre-TDL) trades -- which are the "plenty of questionable" ones?

22 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Linden and Benning can fool themselves all they want but the ability to sell a player you don't want to another team for an asset is a skill that I have yet to see this management team accomplish.

Nill wanted Russell all along, not Hamhuis.  Suppose you could have gone all moneyball Brad Pitt and changed his mind?  You could have got more for waivers Kassian, and something decent for waivers Higgins and waivers Prust?  This isn't the movies, careful who you characterize as deluded fools.

Archived