The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes sign F Radim Vrbata [1 year x $1M]

thejazz97

Why they would buy out Vermette & Hanzal then go on to sign Vrbata is beyond me. Unless they are trying to keep steady to get another top 5 to add to their stockpile. The others are still young enough that they can stand losing for another 1-3 years.

If you're going to sign an aging winger, Hudler is a way better option.

I said this in another thread but either hiring a GM solely based on analytics will look genius in the end or it will become the laughing stock of the league. I find it hard to believe there will be any middle ground in this even if Arizona ends up an "okay" team.

While math is great and all, it should only be used as an assist to the greater picture and not as the "main picture".

1 hour ago, insomniac604 said:

Why they would buy out Vermette & Hanzal then go on to sign Vrbata is beyond me. Unless they are trying to keep steady to get another top 5 to add to their stockpile. The others are still young enough that they can stand losing for another 1-3 years.

If you're going to sign an aging winger, Hudler is a way better option.

They never bought out Hanzal, just Vermette.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

For the amount of hate he got this past season, I really hope he regains success there.

I never hated the guy, but watching him last year was infuriating. If he'd actually put any effort into his games, he'd have hit 20 goals easy. Instead, he just floated out there. It made him really hard to cheer for. 

55 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

They never bought out Hanzal, just Vermette.

You're right. I think I confused a little info. Vermette a surprise buy-out, with Hanzal severely on the market. He has 1yr left before UFA. Consensus is they trade him before or during the season, instead of signing the youngish steady 3C. Speculation but where there's a plume there's a forest fire

49 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I never hated the guy, but watching him last year was infuriating. If he'd actually put any effort into his games, he'd have hit 20 goals easy. Instead, he just floated out there. It made him really hard to cheer for. 

Yes, that is true. I think we can all agree that last year was frustrating for the fans and the players. I, myself, too, was frustrated and angry at times to see the poor performance from some of the players. I think it's just one of the things that you don't want to look back at again and move forward. I'm interested to see how he does in Arizona; I think he'll do fairly decent, maybe not the same kind of performance as his first season with the Canucks, but I do think he can still score 20+ goals at age 35.

19 minutes ago, insomniac604 said:

You're right. I think I confused a little info. Vermette a surprise buy-out, with Hanzal severely on the market. He has 1yr left before UFA. Consensus is they trade him before or during the season, instead of signing the youngish steady 3C. Speculation but where there's a plume there's a forest fire

Hamza kn the Canucks would be great with his size and his propensity to injure Canucks players.

Isn't Hanzal the exact type if player with some height and weight Benning is looking for?

Granlund and a conditional third if he resigns with Van as a UFA sounds like a decent starting point for negotiations no?

Archived