The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zalewski, Pedan, Megna, Chaput

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

WD also said he wouldn't play Baer with Horvat. Things change.

He didn't actually say that as I pointed out early.  he was talking about Vbrata and Baertschi not helping out Bo defensive game in a couple games.  The two players (vbrata and Sven) combined.  Not Baertschi the combination Horvat.  That's why I said it's not going to be a shocker when we see them on a line together. Which they are.

So if Larsen get sent down and bolts back to the KHL, then what?  That's a lot of unnecessary risk?

The reality is, WD just didn't like Pedan, just like he didn't like Shinkaruk, and that's why they weren't given shots on this team. 

18 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Pedan will get scooped up. Insiders on TSN were talking about this possibility last week. Teams aren't going to pass on a 6'5" 23 y/o with his mobility and shot. 

If we were going to sneak him through, it should have been 3 days ago when the waiver wire was 23 players, and teams were cutting 10-15 a day. 

Not a fan of this in any capacity. I guess it sends the right message to Stecher, but you still have to make one more cut to D. 

As someone mentioned earlier, the NYI waived Scott Mayfield, who is pretty much an identical player to Pedan.  Same age, same size, same skillset.  Pedan didn't do anything in the preseason to justify staying and management stuck with the "if you earn a spot, room will be made" philosophy.   

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

Hahaha how many of you guys flamed me when I started that Pedan will be waived thread? And what do you know, Biega made the team. Shocker... lol

The sole reason Biega made the team is to get 19 games and then be exposed for the expansion draft.  It's simple preparation for next off-season and is not that difficult to comprehend.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He didn't actually say that as I pointed out early.  he was talking about Vbrata and Baertschi not helping out Bo defensive game in a couple games.  The two players (vbrata and Sven) combined.  Not Baertschi the combination Horvat.  That's why I said it's not going to be a shocker when we see them on a line together. Which they are.

So if Larsen get sent down and bolts back to the KHL, then what?  That's a lot of unnecessary risk?

The reality is, WD just didn't like Pedan, just like he didn't like Shinkaruk, and that's why they weren't given shots on this team. 

The reality is he's behind Edler, Hutton, Sbisa and Tryamkin for left D depth. It has nothing to do with favoritism. 

If, if, if.... IF Pedan clears and Biega gets sent down and we role with Tryamkin and Larsen as our spares. How's that for ifs.

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It would be an indication that he really isn't what they were hoping for.  But what will probably happen is that he will get a half-season to work in and be assessed, because management is smarter than to base everything on a handful of chaotic pre-season games, despite the kindergarten howling for fairness.

5 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

I called this a long time ago, because I think it is pretty clear cut.  However, I was certain that they'd buy out Burrows.  That would free up the roster spot you're talking about.  That decision is likely to look bad, but I understand why they made it.  They called him the heart and soul of the group.  But it'll be a surprise to me if he plays many good shifts this year.  

I thought they'd buy burr out too.  He's going to be an expensive 4.5 cap hit depth player.

At this point (since we still have burr) I'd rather us role with 14 forwards.  Ruutu and Skille both have played hard.  Gaunce deserves a spot and I think Virtanen belong in the NHL, just sucks for him not getting a chance to prove that in preseason.  Etem can get waived.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Rodin Sutter Hansen

Baer Bo Virtanen

Granlund Gaunce dorsett

Burrows Ruutu/Skille

3 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

As someone mentioned earlier, the NYI waived Scott Mayfield, who is pretty much an identical player to Pedan.  Same age, same size, same skillset.  Pedan didn't do anything in the preseason to justify staying and management stuck with the "if you earn a spot, room will be made" philosophy.   

I don't buy it.  Is there really another big young mediocre player out there?

1 minute ago, fanofvan said:

The sole reason Biega made the team is to get 19 games and then be exposed for the expansion draft.  It's simple preparation for next off-season and is not that difficult to comprehend.

I've been saying that for months now. If we lose Biega and Sbisa can't stay healthly again then we risk losing one of our top defensemen. But it was like I was crazy when I suggested that. Even if my thread was a bit of a troll job ;)

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I thought they'd buy burr out too.  He's going to be an expensive 4.5 cap hit depth player.

At this point (since we still have burr) I'd rather us role with 14 forwards.  Ruutu and Skille both have played hard.  Gaunce deserves a spot and I think Virtanen belong in the NHL, just sucks for him not getting a chance to prove that in preseason.  Etem can get waived.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Rodin Sutter Hansen

Baer Bo Virtanen

Granlund Gaunce dorsett

Burrows Ruutu/Skille

If Ruutu, Skille, or Burrows would go to Utica with a good attitude, that'd be my first choice.  A little AHL might be just right for Etem right now too.

It's no shock that they rate Tryamkin over Pedan on the LD depth chart.  So do I.  But has Tryamkin actually outplayed him in camp?  For that matter, have Biega or Larsen (the other candidates for 8th D)?  Pretty clearly no in all cases.  This is why people talk about WD just not liking the guy, whether or not that is actually the case.  It doesn't pass the eye test.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I've been saying that for months now. If we lose Biega and Sbisa can't stay healthly again then we risk losing one of our top defensemen. But it was like I was crazy when I suggested that. Even if my thread was a bit of a troll job ;)

Not really because one of Larsen or Pedan would have played 40 NHL games this year.  And either will be able to be used in expansion with an extension.  Or we trade for a player, or sign a free agent or claim a player that played enough games.  we had a ton of options that we don't need to rely on biega

1 minute ago, fanofvan said:

Feel free to point the flaws out then.  

The entire premise is that Sbisa will miss most of the season, and that those who fill in for him will either be exempt, or will be someone we're loathe to lose, thus forcing us to lose one of our protected three.  The same premise assumes that both Pedan and Biega will either be claimed on waivers, or be too injured to play.  And, you further assume that the team won't realize this and make a trade, sign a guy, or play Billins.  Do you sense the unlikelihood here?  

If Sbisa went down, they would just call up a replacement - like Biega.

7 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It's no shock that they rate Tryamkin over Pedan on the LD depth chart.  So do I.  But has Tryamkin actually outplayed him in camp?  For that matter, have Biega or Larsen (the other candidates for 8th D)?  Pretty clearly no in all cases.  This is why people talk about WD just not liking the guy, whether or not that is actually the case.  It doesn't pass the eye test.

Barely but yeah, I'd say he has (and with a higher ceiling). Otherwise....

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The reality is he's behind Edler, Hutton, Sbisa and Tryamkin for left D depth. It has nothing to do with favoritism.

5 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

If Ruutu, Skille, or Burrows would go to Utica with a good attitude, that'd be my first choice.  A little AHL might be just right for Etem right now too.

I can't see Burr going, Mgmt took forever to do it with higgins,  and they respect Burr way more. 14-7 would be the way to go.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Rodin Sutter Hansen

Baer Bo Virtanen

Granlund Gaunce dorsett

Burrows Ruutu

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Larsen

Tryamkin

If by some chance Pedan clears, Utica would have a pretty solid d grouping (pedan, Beiga, Stecher) to give help to demko while he adjusts to the pro game.. If injuries happen then we can call up the player that best fits the role of the lost player, if we need a pmd, call up stecher, if we need size, call up pedan, if we need all around, call up biega.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

The entire premise is that Sbisa will miss most of the season, and that those who fill in for him will either be exempt, or will be someone we're loathe to lose, thus forcing us to lose one of our protected three.  The same premise assumes that both Pedan and Biega will either be claimed on waivers, or be too injured to play.  And, you further assume that the team won't realize this and make a trade, sign a guy, or play Billins.  Do you sense the unlikelihood here?  

If Sbisa went down, they would just call up a replacement - like Biega.

Why is the entire premise that Sbisa will miss most of the season?  Am I missing something?

Archived