The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zalewski, Pedan, Megna, Chaput

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not really because one of Larsen or Pedan would have played 40 NHL games this year.  And either will be able to be used in expansion with an extension.  Or we trade for a player, or sign a free agent or claim a player that played enough games.  we had a ton of options that we don't need to rely on biega

I dont know about that. Larsen has played 40 NHL games once and that was 5 years ago. Both Pedan and Larsen could very well be busts and neither player is signed beyond this season. Are we forced to play a bust and give them an extension on top of that? I know we could 'make it happen' if we needed to but this was the right move. 

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Barely but yeah, I'd say he has. Otherwise....

Well then I disagree, but not vehemently.  Tryamkin seems to have regressed from his form last spring whereas Pedan seems to have improved, not just in his lateral mobility but also his puck handling.  Anyway, for me it's not about keeping Tryamkin over Pedan but keeping Larsen and/or Biega over Pedan. 

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I dont know about that. Larsen has played 40 NHL games once and that was 5 years ago. Both Pedan and Larsen could very well be busts and neither player is signed beyond this season. Are we forced to play a bust and give them an extension on top of that? I know we could 'make it happen' if we needed to but this was the right move. 

In addition, Pedan, Larsen, Tryamkin, Biega, and Stecher were all fighting for spots 6, 7, & 8.  Trying to squeeze a player in just to get them 40 games and then having to resign some to expose them to the expansion seems like a lot of work when you can simply get Biega 19 and hes already signed.

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Well then I disagree, but not vehemently.  Tryamkin seems to have regressed from his form last spring whereas Pedan seems to have improved, not just in his lateral mobility but also his puck handling.  Anyway, for me it's not about keeping Tryamkin over Pedan but keeping Larsen and/or Biega over Pedan. 

I'm not disagreeing with what you've said but maybe there is some longer term thinking involved.  Pedan is on a 1 year deal as is Larsen.  Biega is signed through 2017/2018 and only requires 19 games to meet the 70 games over 2 year threshold to be exposed in the expansion draft.  I also think Larsen was kept in case the Stecher magic wears out when the regular season starts,

I'm convinced that Canucks fans are the only people who value Pedan. I really don't see him as anything more than an AHLer who can fill in for the odd game here and there. 

I'm more concerned about losing Zalewalski. He looks like he could be a solid, tough to play against fourth line guy. 

8 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

We need to ice 6 D ever game.  So someone will be getting the games in.  If Sbisa gets injured that means more players will be getting games in.  It's really just a numbers game, someone has to play and as a result will be eligible as a result.  Also waivers always fill up around TD. we could easily just claim a player at that time. 

15 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I'm not disagreeing with what you've said but maybe there is some longer term thinking involved.  Pedan is on a 1 year deal as is Larsen.  Biega is signed through 2017/2018 and only requires 19 games to meet the 70 games over 2 year threshold to be exposed in the expansion draft.  I also think Larsen was kept in case the Stecher magic wears out when the regular season starts,

Those are all good points but there's several ways to address those concerns, as others have argued.  For me, it comes down to who we're most likely to lose on waivers of the following 3:  Pedan, Larsen or Biega.  I think Pedan is the most likely to be of interest to other teams and Biega the least.  But yeah, this does have to be weighed against lots of other things, including the fact that Pedan needs to play regularly, and won't as a #8 D.  So for his sake, this is probably the best thing.  It's just that I'll hate it if he's claimed. 

3 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

How do you come up with "he hasn't shown anything" - back that up please.

Aside from size, you got nothing either.  Like at all.  13 games 18 pims -3.  Doesn't scream stud.  Fights?  Ok..when fighting is down around the league.

Might as well just pick up sestito again with your logic, at least we know he can score goals wit the twins.

He clears and goes to Utica where Green can keep moulding him properly in to a 4-6 D man, or he gets picked up.

Honestly thehe only thing better than Pedan clearing waivers because nobody wants him will be when the mods get sick of your crap and slap the hammer down on you permanently

Pedan has still got a lot to prove, so has Tryamkin for that matter. The only unexpected surprise on defence this preseason has been Stecher. Biega has already shown he can handle himself at the NHL level, so why wouldn't management want to hang on to him—seems like a no brainer.

4 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

It's the expansion rule.  They want Biega to play 19 games at least. It's asset management. If you send Biega down and Sbisa suffers a season ending injury then we risk having to trade for a d man or losing one of Edler Tanev Hutton or Gudbranson for nothing.

It's smart. They know we aren't a cup contender anyway, why mortgage the future. And Pedan isn't that great, really. 

I think that is really an overblown idea.

It is absolutely easy to trade for another fringe player before the expansion draft if we get into that situation.... it would cost us basically nothing.

Pedan got sent down for hockey reasons, they don't need another big physical guy on the roster.  Gudbranson, Sbisa, and Tryamkin fill those roles and are better... Tryamkin isn't even a lock to be on the opening day roster and could do a stint in the AHL to log big minutes.  We have three smaller and faster guys in Larsen, Stecher, and Biega remaining and only two (possibly even one) of them will be on the opening day roster.

There is even a scenario where the organization changes strategies a little and only keeps 7 D up in the short term and carry two extra forwards.  Tryamkin and Stecher sent down to be a top pairing in Utica.  Then signing either one or even both PTO guys who have impressed.  I think there is really more worry and tension about the forward situation right now as there is no worry for sending a couple extra D down because everyone (including the players) know that it won't take long for them to come back up with injuries or someone else like Larsen or Sbisa falling flat.

It is not impossible to see an opening night roster of

Sedin-Sedin-Erikson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Granlund-Sutter-Hansen

Burrows-Ruutu-Dorsett

Skille-Gaunce

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Larsen

Biega

That gives you two very good PK units in Sutter/Hansen and Ruutu/Burrows, leaving the top two lines to get all the offensive starts.

Larsen gets half a dozen games to see how he manages a PP, but is on a short leash.

The PTO guys are no risk and add organizational depth, you sign them for league minimum (cheaper than the young kids ironically enough)... and if they fall off, you waive them and they get picked up, report to the minors. get loaned to a European league, or retire.  Meanwhile the kids have gotten prime development minutes in Utica rather than limited bottom line minutes in the NHL.

We can easily punt the football down the field and not have to make the real decisions until well into the season.

5 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

It's the expansion rule.  They want Biega to play 19 games at least. It's asset management. If you send Biega down and Sbisa suffers a season ending injury then we risk having to trade for a d man or losing one of Edler Tanev Hutton or Gudbranson for nothing.

It's smart. They know we aren't a cup contender anyway, why mortgage the future. And Pedan isn't that great, really. 

Thank you

2 hours ago, fanofvan said:

As someone mentioned earlier, the NYI waived Scott Mayfield, who is pretty much an identical player to Pedan.  Same age, same size, same skillset.  Pedan didn't do anything in the preseason to justify staying and management stuck with the "if you earn a spot, room will be made" philosophy.   

Lol. Except Mayfield is nowhere near the fighter or intimidating presence that Pedan is. 

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think that is really an overblown idea.

It is absolutely easy to trade for another fringe player before the expansion draft if we get into that situation.... it would cost us basically nothing.

Pedan got sent down for hockey reasons, they don't need another big physical guy on the roster.  Gudbranson, Sbisa, and Tryamkin fill those roles and are better... Tryamkin isn't even a lock to be on the opening day roster and could do a stint in the AHL to log big minutes.  We have three smaller and faster guys in Larsen, Stecher, and Biega remaining and only two (possibly even one) of them will be on the opening day roster.

There is even a scenario where the organization changes strategies a little and only keeps 7 D up in the short term and carry two extra forwards.  Tryamkin and Stecher sent down to be a top pairing in Utica.  Then signing either one or even both PTO guys who have impressed.  I think there is really more worry and tension about the forward situation right now as there is no worry for sending a couple extra D down because everyone (including the players) know that it won't take long for them to come back up with injuries or someone else like Larsen or Sbisa falling flat.

It is not impossible to see an opening night roster of

Sedin-Sedin-Erikson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Granlund-Sutter-Hansen

Burrows-Ruutu-Dorsett

Skille-Gaunce

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Larsen

Biega

That gives you two very good PK units in Sutter/Hansen and Ruutu/Burrows, leaving the top two lines to get all the offensive starts.

Larsen gets half a dozen games to see how he manages a PP, but is on a short leash.

The PTO guys are no risk and add organizational depth, you sign them for league minimum (cheaper than the young kids ironically enough)... and if they fall off, you waive them and they get picked up, report to the minors. get loaned to a European league, or retire.  Meanwhile the kids have gotten prime development minutes in Utica rather than limited bottom line minutes in the NHL.

We can easily punt the football down the field and not have to make the real decisions until well into the season.

That's what i've been saying, the forwards have been making things much more interesting, they should be looking at going with 14-7 but I don't think they send tryamkin down (even though he may benefit from it),  He probably bolts back to russia if he's not on the team and that's not a good scenerio for the canucks to put themselves in.  Also Stecher has shown he belongs on this team over a player like Beiga but has too many unknown to drop larsen of out a spot (yet).  I'd send send both Stecher and Beiga down,  Have Tryamkin rotate in, and play that roster until christmas.  If an injury happens call someone up. but by then we should have a much better idea on what players are capable of and a lot more questions will be answer. 

Does Tryamkin replace sbisa? 

Does Larsen prove to be a good NHLer?

Can Stecher maintain he play in the AHL? 

Why take gambles on those things now when we can remove the risk and have a better understanding in a couple of months.   

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Larsen

Tryamkin

Also ff Pedan clears then we have Stecher, Subban, Beiga and Pedan to help Demko get adjusted in the AHL.  Right now he's got Subban and we're crossing are fingers with Pedan. 

2 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

I'm convinced that Canucks fans are the only people who value Pedan. I really don't see him as anything more than an AHLer who can fill in for the odd game here and there. 

I'm more concerned about losing Zalewalski. He looks like he could be a solid, tough to play against fourth line guy. 

6'5 d men that stand up for team mates can skate well and is young.cause guys like that are easy to find. Benning thought enough of him to give up a third. 

Your worried about a guy that if he pans out will be a 4th liner because those plAyers are hard to find. Like we couldn't have filled the bottom line with  pto players as good as the ones on the roster. 

Archived