The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zalewski, Pedan, Megna, Chaput

7 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

It's the expansion rule.  They want Biega to play 19 games at least. It's asset management. If you send Biega down and Sbisa suffers a season ending injury then we risk having to trade for a d man or losing one of Edler Tanev Hutton or Gudbranson for nothing.

It's smart. They know we aren't a cup contender anyway, why mortgage the future. And Pedan isn't that great, really. 

Makes sense... thanks :) 

13 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

I don't get the Biega love affair.... 

Pedan needs to PLAY. He's not going to get minutes behind Sbisa and Tryamkin. Biega does make more sense as a #8 in that scenario (and also keeps lefties and righties even).

11 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Sending Pedan down over Biega blows my mind - but so long as he is sent down before Tryamkin, Larsen or Stecher then I don't really care. 

I actually wonder if they might keep Stetcher in at #6 and Tryamkin and Larsen as 7 and 8...?

8 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Pedan can get playing time if he clears. It's better for him at this stage.

I think that's largely what this move is about as well.

wouldn't it have been better to keep him in rotation ,and expose who ever wasn't panning out to the expansion draft at that point?(larsen)   seems like their jumping the gun on this.  gambling that he doesn't get picked off like corrado last year.

Just now, thejazz97 said:

I think the whole bottom 6 will be rotating all year unless someone steps up in a massive way.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The one 'knock' on Stetcher is basically, 'can he keep this up'? If he's got Larsen looming directly over his shoulder, he's got very immediate incentive prodding him on. It also works well if he gets hurt or needs a game or two off (overworked, struggling etc), you simply slot Larsen in as the PP/PMD and let Stetcher sit with no risk of losing Larsen back to the KHL or on waivers to another team. 

And in those cases, Larsen will have incentive to play his arse off to keep the spot.

Biega can always be recalled and if Stetcher struggles, he can be waived at any point of the season.

Makes a LOT of sense (to me anyway).

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Pedan needs to PLAY. He's not going to get minutes behind Sbisa and Tryamkin. Biega does make more sense as a #8 in that scenario (and also keeps lefties and righties even).

I get Pedan needs to play, my thought was they might lose Pedan to waivers and I would rather that happen to Biega. I didnt know about the 70 games in 2 years rule for expansion, so it makes sense to me now, more so the 70 game rule than Pedan playing top minutes. 

4 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

I get Pedan needs to play, my thought was they might lose Pedan to waivers and I would rather that happen to Biega. I didnt know about the 70 games in 2 years rule for expansion, so it makes sense to me now, more so the 70 game rule than Pedan playing top minutes. 

I honestly think the expansion draft was at best a secondary concern of managements. With Guddy and Try, we already have two guys filling that role in the lineup (and to a lesser extent Sbisa as well).

It's already going to be tough getting Tryamkin minutes behind our starting 6, never mind Pedan as well, also hurting his development.

Personally that redundancy and risk to his development were the two biggest reasons IMO.

1 minute ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Like what?

He's bigger, tougher and younger than all  three of those guys and he's getting hard to play against in his own end and he will clear the front of the net more than any other player except maybe Gudy.

Archived