The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zalewski, Pedan, Megna, Chaput

I like Pedan - but he's got some stiff competition ahead of him to earn a role here.

Edler, Hutton, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Sbisa....   

I think it made sense to try to get him through waivers early.

Tryamkin and Sbisa is a pretty solid tandem of LHD to handle the left side of the third pairing.a

Pedan improved his mobility - lateral movement - but could use more seasoning in the A imo and doesn't measure up against Sbisa or Tryamkin at this point.

Keeping biega with the Expansion Draft in mind is a terrible decision.... and further proof of the terrible asset management of the Canucks.

BUT, I will say, that if the decision was made so that he can get minutes in Utica and develop instead of sitting in the pressbox is good for him, just wish the team had given him a fair shake in the preseason.

4 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

I don't get the Pedan love affair. He's big. Unfortunatly he isn't NHL material right now. There are a ton of big defencemen out there, others on waivers right now even. If he wants to play for any team he has to improve considerably in a lot of areas. 

+1

I think he has potential to make the team, just not this year.

I would love to see him play big minutes in Utica this year.

5 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

He's bigger, tougher and younger than all  three of those guys and he's getting hard to play against in his own end and he will clear the front of the net more than any other player except maybe Gudy.

Bigger and younger, sure, those are factually true. Though between you and me, being 6'4 and 200lbs doesn't really fall into the physically imposing category for me.

Tougher...subjective. I'm sure there are fortune cookies tougher than Larsen, but Sbisa is a very tough individual, and unlike Pedan, he actually has the NHL resume to prove it with his hit and PIM totals. And this is coming from someone leading the anti Luca Sbisa fan club.

As for, the last part of your reply, I certainly haven't seen him do that yet at an NHL level. Seems like you are just using his height as a generalization of what defenders of his physical caliber are suppose to do. He hasn't shown anything yet to prove that his ceiling is more than a 6th/7th Dman. And that is just against AHL/prospect squads too. I'd like to see how he would do moving around the Ryan Getzlafs, Joe Thorntons, Martin Hanzals, Sean Monahans, Anze Kopitars, Ryan Keslers of the league. Because thats who he would be dealing with all season long.

I don't see it. If he clears, awesome. If not, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

4 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

lol nothing to back up when he hasnt shown anything...management doesnt even want him sticking around for the 7th and 8th spot.

Im sorry if u went and bought ur pedan jersey.

You say nothing of any substance, why do you even post on here? don't waste my time.

1 minute ago, LarsEller said:

I don't get the Pedan love affair. He's big. Unfortunatly he isn't NHL material right now. There are a ton of big defencemen out there, others on waivers right now even. If he wants to play for any team he has to improve considerably in a lot of areas. 

Exactly, everyone thinks that every 6'5''+ players will be the next Chara.  Well, if that was true there would be 50 other Charas by now.

Teams won't just pick him up to be a healthy scratch and hope that with only practice he's going to suddenly become an NHL regular.  And they certainly won't play him in their top 6 right away based on his training camp performances.

He will clear.

13 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Lol at the people praying that pedan clears waivers...he hasnt shown anything and can easily be replaced. 

People are still crying about Corrado one year later and Pedan is a better prospect. I expect a crap-storm of fretting and hand wringing on here :lol:

I like Pedan, but who do you want sitting in the press box for 20 straight games, him or Biega? Because if he was the 8th guy he sure wouldn't be playing very much. The way I see it, Pedan has the potential to be a good NHL player while Biega's already maxed his potential as a reliable depth defenseman. Let Pedan get big minutes in Utica and Biega can be a dependable fill-in with the big club when necessary.

Of course, it still remains to be seen if Biega is even kept himself. If they decide on keeping Stecher up then somebody else is leaving.

Archived