The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton is Overrated

MFWYNOT

Unpopular opinion but people really need to calm down about Hutton. I'll start by saying this: I love how smooth and composed he is with the puck. However, I've seen people claim he's a top 4 defenceman, which is false. I've also seen people say he has top pairing potential, which is just laughable. He's mediocre to bad in his own zone. I can remember plenty of times last year when his bad positioning/awareness led to a goal against. Say what you want about the +/- stat, but it definitely says something when you get 25 points and still manage to finish -21. He's also not much of a physical presence, whereas guys like Sbisa and Gudbranson can at least give you that. Offensively, he's a good puckmover as I said earlier, but his shot is the worst out of our D imo (even worse than Tanev's). 

At the moment I feel like Hutton is a slightly better version of Bartkowski, and a nice third pairing guy. Hopefully he improves a lot, because he does have some attractive skills.

he looked like bobby orr in preseason  and last yr was playing 21 mins a game  didnt look that out of place. Hes ten times the player bartoski ever will be. They got guddy to let hutt concentrate on offense guddy will cover defense for him. watch hutton get 30-45 points this yr guy can skate and put on some muscle so he looks more explosive so far

I have to question what you are seeing if you think Sbisa is better than Hutton. +/- is an awful stat. To illustrate to you how misleading it can be, Sbisa was a +5 last year, but his PDO was 102.8. Hutton's PDO was 99.1. Sbisa wasn't that much better than his +/- indicates he was just way luckier.

56 minutes ago, MFWYNOT said:

Unpopular opinion but people really need to calm down about Hutton. I'll start by saying this: I love how smooth and composed he is with the puck. However, I've seen people claim he's a top 4 defenceman, which is false. I've also seen people say he has top pairing potential, which is just laughable. He's mediocre to bad in his own zone. I can remember plenty of times last year when his bad positioning/awareness led to a goal against. Say what you want about the +/- stat, but it definitely says something when you get 25 points and still manage to finish -21. He's also not much of a physical presence, whereas guys like Sbisa and Gudbranson can at least give you that. Offensively, he's a good puckmover as I said earlier, but his shot is the worst out of our D imo (even worse than Tanev's). 

At the moment I feel like Hutton is a slightly better version of Bartkowski, and a nice third pairing guy. Hopefully he improves a lot, because he does have some attractive skills.

You are right about one thing here; unpopular opinion. Posts like this nullify the future opinions that you might share here. Good luck.

We are really really lucky we got a player like Ben Hutton out of a 5th round pick. I think we forget that too often. Very bright future for him and he sure played like a top 4 in his rookie season last year. He has got top pairing potential. 

"I'm all the way up" 

Players on the fan like list do tend to get overrated here. Hutton is good, but I'm not sold just yet he's as good as some believe. I tend to keep an open mind with players but not set expectations to high. A pleasant surprise is much better than bitter disappointment.

Guddy wants him to skate harder "move your ass" or some statement. I think were going to see Hutton open up the ice more with carries which should be exciting. Guddy covering his back and a new way to gain the zone skating the puck in - will create more options for our forwards.

Not overrated.

2 hours ago, MFWYNOT said:

You would love him on your Calgary Flames...c'mon man just admit it.

3 hours ago, MFWYNOT said:

If your whole theory is based on 25pts / -21... then Horvat and his 40 pts / -30 means his defensive game is worst than Mason Raymond

Sure, he has a lot to learn to be a top pairing, but he proved he can play top 4.  He's not the best top 4 in the league, but you can expect a rookie to be.  This year we should see where his ceiling is.

17 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

If your whole theory is based on 25pts / -21... then Horvat and his 40 pts / -30 means his defensive game is worst than Mason Raymond

Sure, he has a lot to learn to be a top pairing, but he proved he can play top 4.  He's not the best top 4 in the league, but you can expect a rookie to be.  This year we should see where his ceiling is.

It could easily be three to five years before we actually see his ceiling.

Archived