The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philippines announces alliance with China and Russia (Separates from alliance with America)

Rush17

The Philippines have publicly thrown their support behind China and Russia.  As they say "It is now China, Philippines, and Russia vs the world!".  Oficially separating itself from its alliance with The United States and allying with China and Russia.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/duterte-meets-xi-philippines-cozies-beijing-044808788.html (CLICK to watch video of speech)

Beijing (AFP) - Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte declared his "separation" from longstanding ally the United States in Beijing on Thursday, as he rebalances his country's diplomacy towards China.

Duterte is in China for a four-day trip seen as confirming his tilt away from Washington and towards Beijing's sphere of influence -- and its deep pockets.

"I announce my separation from the United States," he said to applause at a meeting in the Chinese capital.

"America does not control our lives. Enough bull$&!#," he added in a rambling speech that flipped between languages.

"How can you be the most powerful industrial country when you owe China and you are not paying it?"

His comments came after he met his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping at the Great Hall of the People on Tiananmen Square, with the two men pledging to enhance trust and friendship, while playing down a maritime dispute.

Xi called the two countries "neighbours across the sea" with "no reason for hostility or confrontation", the official Xinhua news agency said.

Under Duterte's predecessor Benigno Aquino the two countries were at loggerheads over the South China Sea -- where Beijing has built a series of artificial islands -- but since taking office in June the new head of state has changed course.

In a statement, the Chinese foreign ministry cited Xi as telling Duterte their emotional foundation of friendly good neighbourliness was unchanged, and difficult topics of discussion "could be shelved temporarily".

Duterte called the meeting "historic", it added.

His visit to Beijing capped a series of recent declarations blasting the US and President Barack Obama.

Addressing the Filipino community in Beijing Wednesday, the firebrand leader said the Philippines had gained little from its long alliance with the US, its former colonial ruler.

He also repeated his denunciation of Obama as a "son of a whore".

China, he said earlier, was "good". "It has never invaded a piece of my country all these generations."

- 'Candid and friendly' -

Duterte has also suspended joint US-Philippine patrols in the strategically vital South China Sea, and has threatened an end to joint military exercises.

The South China Sea is of intense interest to Washington and it has repeatedly spoken out on the various territorial disputes between China and its neighbours over the waters.

Tensions have risen between the US and China over Washington's so-called "pivot" to the Asia-Pacific, a move that Beijing says is intended to contain it.

In 2012, China seized control of Scarborough Shoal, a fishing ground in the Philippines' exclusive economic zone.

In a case brought by Aquino, the Philippines won a resounding victory at an international tribunal earlier this year over Beijing's extensive territorial maritime claims in the area, infuriating the Asian giant.

But Duterte, who took office in June shortly before the tribunal ruling, has made a point of not flaunting the outcome.

Asked whether the leaders had discussed the South China Sea, the foreign ministry's spokesperson Hua Chunying said they had a "candid and friendly exchange of views on how to resolve relevant disputes".

Their meeting represented a "return to the right track of dialogue and consultation" she said, adding China was willing to make "relevant arrangements" to cooperate on fishery issues.

- 'Full recovery' -

The meeting between Xi and Duterte marked a "full recovery" of the "traditional friendship" between the two countries, Chinese vice minister Liu Zhenmin said, according to a transcript released by the Philippine president's office.

They oversaw the signing of 13 bilateral cooperation documents on business, infrastructure, and agriculture, among other fields, he added.

Beijing also has offered the Philippines a $9 billion soft loan for development projects, a statement from the Philippine presidential press office said.

About $15 million of the promised loans will be earmarked for drug rehabilitation programmes amid Duterte's anti-drug campaign, which has killed thousands of people and raised concern abroad of human rights violations.

China will also lift bans on 27 Philippine tropical fruit export companies. Previous sanctions on fruit were intended to punish Manila for its South China Sea stance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-seek-explanation-dutertes-separation-180514197.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will seek an explanation from the Philippines for President Rodrigo Duterte's announcement of a "separation" from Washington, the State Department said on Thursday, calling the remarks baffling and at odds with the two countries' close relationship.

Duterte said during a visit to China on Thursday that "America has lost" in military and economic ties with the Philippines and "I announce my separation from the United States."

"We are going to be seeking an explanation of exactly what the president meant when he talked about separation from the U.S.," said State Department spokesman John Kirby. "It's not clear to us exactly what that means in all its ramifications."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/10/philippines-duterte-china-announces-split-161020131226993.html

aljazeera seems to have the most info on the story.  Apparently china is giving them a 3 billion $ loan to help with infrastructure.  Says "his country has gained little with his alliance with Washington.

Philippines was already hemorrhaging foreign investment dollars since Duterte started running his mouth and allowing the citizenry to murder anyone they thought was a drug dealer.

He had to cozy up to someone. I guess now he won't be riding a jet ski to that disputed island in the South China Sea and planting the Philippine flag to spite China after all like he promised in his election campaign.

He's the perfect example of what can happen when you elect a loose cannon.

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Until there's an actual treaty or pen-to-paper on an alliance, this is all meaningless.  

Even w/o pen and paper, intent to separate from the Western world isn't really meaningless.. enough countries do that and soon globalization will be moving in the opposite direction. 

41 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Philippines was already hemorrhaging foreign investment dollars since Duterte started running his mouth and allowing the citizenry to murder anyone they thought was a drug dealer.

He had to cozy up to someone. I guess now he won't be riding a jet ski to that disputed island in the South China Sea and planting the Philippine flag to spite China after all like he promised in his election campaign.

He's the perfect example of what can happen when you elect a loose cannon.

that's how the media want you to think. but in all honesty ask any Filipino and they'll tell you that Duterte is the best the happened to them. never did Duterte called Obama son of a whore. "Putang ina" does not translate to" son of a whore" and he stated it is to show his displeasure on the reporter who asked him about what Obama had said. 

I think its just the fact the US is losing ground with their crumbling economy.  The debt is just rising and rising.  eventually that money has too be paid that.  China owns a lot of the US debt.  China is the new economic power in the world and the tension between Russia and the US probably made them feel like they had to make a move.  If you live close to China and / or Russia being partnered with America doesn't have a ton of benefits of the US is fading into the night and is waving its flag at Russia saying were gonna do what we want in Syria.  IE: Start conflict with Russia.  Not to even mention the fact they blame Russia for the email hacks with zero proof.  The talking point of Hilary of 12 agencies have determined its Russia is all a fab.  Just a talking point.  

I'd rather be with China in that situation too If I was them. its about survival and prosperity for the Philippine people! A 3 billion dollar loan will definitely help them build up their infrastructure. I don't trust China or Russia especially China but they are regionally located closer.  It just makes sense as the US threatens Russia on a regular basis.  This administration is just asking for trouble with their recent acts and accusations in the last 2-3 weeks with Russia.

45 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Has fun with that, Philippines. 

Lol there's more murders and killings before he became the president. 49 killings and murders everyday to 25 killings and murders today which mostly consists of drug addicts/pushers  getting killed by their boss to keep them silent of the source of drugs. and a 49%drop in crime rates in Manila, because most of the crimes committed before we're fueled and caused by drugs

2 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

Lol there's more murders and killings before he became the president. 49 killings and murders everyday to 25 killings and murders today which mostly consists of drug addicts/pushers  getting killed by their boss to keep them silent of the source of drugs. and a 49%drop in crime rates in Manila, because most of the crimes committed before we're fueled and caused by drugs

Ummm....what does that have to do with my post? 

Just now, BlackBeard said:

that's how the media want you to think. but in all honesty ask any Filipino and they'll tell you that Duterte is the best the happened to them. never did Duterte called Obama son of a whore. "Putang ina" does not translate to" son of a whore" and he stated it is to show his displeasure on the reporter who asked him about what Obama had said. 

Filipinos are an overly religious and boring lot in my experience. I could see them supporting that nut job...they're used to following wacko ideas since the Spanish beat Catholicism into them.  The actual fun loving ones who ignore that bull$&!# are limited but religion aside they're all mostly good people. I could do with less karaoke and stinky fish being cooked (an actual dish of rank smelling fish..not just cooking fish...) in my building but hey what can you do. I just plug in the electric and play Slayer and Pantera riffs loud :)

There is a huge population here that came over on temp work visas, got residency and send home money to their families with plans to take the money and retire back home. Tough call as to whether they're a benefit here or a drain.  They certainly are helping the resort run but due to contracts to bring them over have cost people I know jobs and are keeping wages down in certain sectors. 

I grew up with Filipino family friends who had been here generations..very different people from the temp workers picking up residency. 

On topic:  foreign leaders have been taken out for less by the US.  

plus Duterte does not give a damn about other countries, he only seeks what's best for his country. There were 49 murders and killings before he became the president compare to 25 now but the US, the EU, the UNITED didn't give xit. 

Why many people want to take him down is that unlike the previous presidents since Marcos. He's not corrupt, he's not somebody who would let himself be controlled by oligarchs or be bribed by money which is a big problem in the Philippines. In fact  this oligarchs and corrupt people in the politics are tied to the drug trade in the Philippines and they're afraid of going out of business and getting exposed because of Dutertes -War against drugs- which this is really all about

25 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

"Any Filipino"? "In all honesty"? My goodness, man, work on some accuracy here; you're sounding like a politician.  Less than half of my Filipino friends think he's good and more than half think he's terrible. Even the former President Ramos thinks there are lots of rooms for improvement. You should be more honest with your words.

People in the Philippines, for the most part seem to be supporting him. "Room for improvement" but necessary evil from what I've been reading.

As an outsider, I actually think there is an argument that China is a better economic ally for the Philippines than the US. Plus China won't lecture them about human rights. 

Personally I don't the think the US will be too torn up about it. 

Archived