The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Mogilny post 1995-96

whcanuck

Hey guys

So way back in 1995, I found out from my Mom that the Canucks had traded Michael Peca to Buffalo for Alex Mogilny. I could not have been more thrilled! This was one of the league's most exciting scorers coming to the Canucks to play with another one of the league's most exciting scorers (and former linemate) Pavel Bure. This was huge news! Sadly as we all know Bure lost almost the entire '95-'96 season to a knee injury but Mogilny had a monster 55 goal year, probably could've even had more if not for a big cold streak near the end of the year. But I want to know what happened to Alexander the Great after that year? The last 3+ years he played with us he only had one other 30+ goal year. He did have solid numbers in '99-'00 but we traded him to NJ in a deal that brought us Brendan Morrison, and Mogilny a Stanley Cup. Why was he not nearly as prolific a scorer in his last 3+ years with the team as he was in his first year?

4 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

Hey guys

So way back in 1995, I found out from my Mom that the Canucks had traded Michael Peca to Buffalo for Alex Mogilny. I could not have been more thrilled! This was one of the league's most exciting scorers coming to the Canucks to play with another one of the league's most exciting scorers (and former linemate) Pavel Bure. This was huge news! Sadly as we all know Bure lost almost the entire '95-'96 season to a knee injury but Mogilny had a monster 55 goal year, probably could've even had more if not for a big cold streak near the end of the year. But I want to know what happened to Alexander the Great after that year? The last 3+ years he played with us he only had one other 30+ goal year. He did have solid numbers in '99-'00 but we traded him to NJ in a deal that brought us Brendan Morrison, and Mogilny a Stanley Cup. Why was he not nearly as prolific a scorer in his last 3+ years with the team as he was in his first year?

Sorry can't answer your question,.

But you jogged my memory about something from the 1994 finals against The Rangers that still pisses me today.

Before game seven in New York City, it was noted that Cliff Ronning was going to play with a badly injured wrist from game 6.

He was witnessed as not being able to shoot the puck in the warm up before the game,. the decision to play was apparently his.

In that game Ronning had the opportunities to bury the puck cleanly into the Rangers net 2 or 3 times, but was unable to shoot.

Our "Black Ace" who had been traveling and practicing with the Canucks the entire playoff run, was Micheal Peca.

The rest is history..  and a lesson in what unselfishness might accomplish struck a chord.

I remember during his last season here he stopped shooting the puck completely cause of a scoring drought. He had no confidence. He hit rock bottom when on a 2 on 0. He passed, got the puck back, had an empty net, and passed it back and we couldn't score. Immediately before he was traded he finally found his scoring touch but by then it was too late and he was traded to jersey for Denis Peterson and Brendan Morrison. I'm glad mogilny won a cup though. 89 is my favorite number 

It was actually Peca along with Mike Wilson who was our 1st rounder in 93 and a 1st rounder in 95.  MIke Peca the following years turned out to be a more effective player, with exception of the 96 season, after that, he just became a regular goal scoring guy who didn't score goals, Meanwhile Peca turned out to be one of the best 2 way players in the game for the next 11 years, making his way onto team Canada in 2002, and almost winning the cup in 2006.

17 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

It was actually Peca along with Mike Wilson who was our 1st rounder in 93 and a 1st rounder in 95.  MIke Peca the following years turned out to be a more effective player, with exception of the 96 season, after that, he just became a regular goal scoring guy who didn't score goals, Meanwhile Peca turned out to be one of the best 2 way players in the game for the next 11 years, making his way onto team Canada in 2002, and almost winning the cup in 2006.

Selke winner (Peca)...Don't think the picks amounted too much (at least to the Sabres).  Weird he only ended up playing 5 seasons for the Sabres (guess they couldn't afford him as he was dealt for I think minor parts).

Course Mogilny wasn't exactly chopped liver either.  Too bad the team then was "Messier'd"...

Not quite as bad a deal as the Barry Pederson trade...

Peca was instrumental player with the Sabres, but with Darcy Regier being the craptastic GM that he was, didn't negotiate a new contract with him after the Stanley Cup appearance season so Peca sat out all of the '00-'01 season.

The first rounder that the Canucks traded to the Sabres turned into Jay McKee who turned into one of the hardest working, hard nosed d-men in the league.  He played for the Sabres for 10 seasons.

Both Peca and McKee came back to Buffalo to work and live.  Peca is GM and Director of Hockey Operations of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres and Jay McKee is the head coach of the Kitchener Rangers in the OHL.

Unfortunately for Peca he was scammed out of almost all of his millions from his playing days towards the end of his career.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/wife-ex-nhl-peca-tells-jurors-horror-losing-saving-article-1.2216551

17 hours ago, petmar74 said:

He started wearing white skates. 

Was a great player for us.

Loved Peca though, that hit on that kid that played for the Jets! Good stuff.

Yeah, the hit on that Selanne kid was pretty epic. One of the best open ice hits ever. Now-a-days that's a suspension. I miss the good ol' days when you had to keep your head up or you were gonna get creamed. 

On 11/11/2016 at 8:19 PM, petmar74 said:

He started wearing white skates. 

Was a great player for us.

Loved Peca though, that hit on that kid that played for the Jets! Good stuff.

"that kid" was Teemu Selanne .... and he's 3 years older than Pecca. was back then too, lol

The Russian Rocket and the Moscow Missile.

A couple of questionable non-moves by management saw Larionov and Ronning move on.

For Larionov it had something to do with re-signing with the Nucks and the Russian hockey federation getting a big pay day.

For Ronning, it appeared that McPhee just forgot about him and didn't offer him a contact in time,, he centered both.

In both cases losing out on a play making center that had chemistry affected them, more so Mogilny. Also the coach of the day benched him quite abit, I remember Tikkanen stating in the media that the coach (Renney) kept benching one of the best players in the world and it made no sense.

Mogilny did go on to win a Stanley Cup though.

Its the trade curse that kills us most years cause usually who ever we trade away a couple years later they win the cup.Or we trade for guys who's best years are behind them.One of the biggest mistakes we ever made was not renewing Burkes contract.

Archived