The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

4 hours ago, rekker said:

I'm only cheering for one other team to win the lottery if we don't. That's the Islanders with the Flames pick. 

You are not the only one, I have been on this boat ever since the Flames made that trade and realize they didn't have that first round pick lottery protected. It's like they know they will make the playoffs. And they also traded away a 2nd round pick for Curtis Lazar and that pick turn out to be Alex Formenton. They have no first or second round pick for this years draft as of now.

17 hours ago, rekker said:

I'm only cheering for one other team to win the lottery if we don't. That's the Islanders with the Flames pick. 

Oh heck ya! That would be so great. Can't believe Burke is even in this position again after the disastrous Tyler Seguin pick.

Flames play the sharks 2 more times and the Kings and Ducks each once more.  Those games are must wins.

They also play the Oilers and the Yotes twice more each. Really if the flames want playoffs, it’s in their hands.  You can bet the oilers are going to play their hearts out to destroy the flames hopes and dreams.   

There next 4 games is Sabres, Sens, Islanders and Oilers, (3 bottom 5 teams) by this time next week flames can either be right in the mix or completely out of it. 

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Flames play the sharks 2 more times and the Kings and Ducks each once more.  Those games are must wins.

They also play the Oilers and the Yotes twice more each. Really if the flames want playoffs, it’s in their hands.  You can bet the oilers are going to play their hearts out to destroy the flames hopes and dreams.   

There next 4 games is Sabres, Sens, Islanders and Oilers, (3 bottom 5 teams) by this time next week flames can either be right in the mix or completely out of it. 

Did Burke do to the Flames what he did to the Leafs; trade away the future for help now?  Maybe the Flames are doomed to years of mediocrity, followed by an inevitable fall to the bottom?  That would be just terrible to watch.  :lol:

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did Burke do to the Flames what he did to the Leafs; trade away the future for help now?  Maybe the Flames are doomed to years of mediocrity, followed by an inevitable fall to the bottom?  That would be just terrible to watch.  :lol:

I think they will be ok. They have there star core players locked up for below market value and their core is under 25 years old. Right now they just need smith to be healthy. Gillies is not ready and let’s in a softy every games. He looks way to nervous. And rittich is nothing more that a good back up. 

25 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think they will be ok. They have there star core players locked up for below market value and their core is under 25 years old. Right now they just need smith to be healthy. Gillies is not ready and let’s in a softy every games. He looks way to nervous. And rittich is nothing more that a good back up. 

How old is Smith?  I really hate the Flames, so I'm hoping this disaster of a season is just the beginning of a long stretch of pain for their fans.  Hey!  That was cathartic :lol:

On 3/6/2018 at 10:47 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't like their mix at all actually.   I called for both the Oilers and Flames to take steps backwards this year and it was because I don't believe either group has a good "team" in place.   I think the Flames are less dysfunctional but they have issues that are not solved simply with a hot goalie.    I think JG and SM are great/elite players but after that, not sold on Calgary.    Clearly McDavid is something special but I am not sure LD is worth Crosby money at all and beyond that, they have some very questionable pieces that they seem to be considering as core (Nurse is a stud though).

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't like their mix at all actually.   I called for both the Oilers and Flames to take steps backwards this year and it was because I don't believe either group has a good "team" in place.   I think the Flames are less dysfunctional but they have issues that are not solved simply with a hot goalie.    I think JG and SM are great/elite players but after that, not sold on Calgary.    Clearly McDavid is something special but I am not sure LD is worth Crosby money at all and beyond that, they have some very questionable pieces that they seem to be considering as core (Nurse is a stud though).

Flames needed some depth this year. They have a really solid top 6 but there bottom 6 has been pathetic. Stajan doesn’t belong in the league and the only reason he is still is because he’s 7 games from hitting 1000. Jagr didn’t work out, Bennett needs a change of scenery and jankowski has been thrown into tough spot in his first NHL season. (And done pretty good).

They need more heart and you won’t like this but tkachuk is the flames heart and soul right now. He’s so important to there teams success and he’s only 20 years old. Sort of like Bo is for us.  They need more players like him. If Domi becomes available I would expect flames to go hard at landing him. And the other move they need to do is find a right shot scorer. 

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Flames needed some depth this year. They have a really solid top 6 but there bottom 6 has been pathetic. Stajan doesn’t belong in the league and the only reason he is still is because he’s 7 games from hitting 1000. Jagr didn’t work out, Bennett needs a change of scenery and jankowski has been thrown into tough spot in his first NHL season. (And done pretty good).

They need more heart and you won’t like this but tkachuk is the flames heart and soul right now. He’s so important to there teams success and he’s only 20 years old. Sort of like Bo is for us.  They need more players like him. If Domi becomes available I would expect flames to go hard at landing him. And the other move they need to do is find a right shot scorer. 

I agree with you on a lot of things but seem 180 on others.   I think MT is a cancer and will not be a Flame within two or three years.   I see no remote similarity between MT and BH other than they are both male humans.   Domi is not like MT.   Right now there is no one as DBaggery in the NHL as MT.    If a team is building around MT and wants more like him, I wish them luck but I wouldn't be concerned about them as meaningful competition as I believe they will just end up beating themselves.

9 minutes ago, butters said:

weren't calgary and edmonton part of the "teams that are rebuilding right" club when the media/aggrofans were beating that drum last year?

If the Flames or the Oilers had even close the injury issues Vancouver had this year (every member of top line out at some point - right now 2/3 of it plus more season without top D than with it) then both would be below Vancouver in standings with pretty much certainty.   Fact that Edmonton with games "best" player and being the "team of the future" and anointed by so many after last year's playoff run to be the team to watch in the west is barely staying ahead of Vancouver through some shoot out wins shows how much these great hockey minds really know.     

Edmonton last year benefited from Talbot being way over his head and surprising teams.  

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree with you on a lot of things but seem 180 on others.   I think MT is a cancer and will not be a Flame within two or three years.   I see no remote similarity between MT and BH other than they are both male humans.   Domi is not like MT.   Right now there is no one as DBaggery in the NHL as MT.    If a team is building around MT and wants more like him, I wish them luck but I wouldn't be concerned about them as meaningful competition as I believe they will just end up beating themselves.

Again I’ll tell you your opinions on MT are completely out to lunch. He’s well respected in the dressing room and is already a leader.  Most flames analyst feel he’s next inline for the captaincy when gio leaves. He may have been that way when he was 17 in London but he’s a real team players and plays with his heart on his sleeve every single night. A good comparable would be Kesler. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Again I’ll tell you your opinions on MT are completely out to lunch. He’s well respected in the dressing room and is already a leader.  Most flames analyst feel he’s next inline for the captaincy when gio leaves. He may have been that way when he was 17 in London but he’s a real team players and plays with his heart on his sleeve every single night. A good comparable would be Kesler. 

Helluva player.  Scores any type of goal.  I've said it before: this guy doesn't care who hates him.....dbag though.

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I have a different take than your opinion and have had it since he was in London.   I don't know "most flames analyst" so can only go with what I know to be the case in London and what I hear from who I know now.   

We will have to permanently agree to disagree on this player and time will tell who is right.   I content he is the next Sean Avery and you say the next Bo Horvat.   Let's compare notes in a few  years.

Archived