The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

6 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

How close are they to be being eliminated after this game?

Close, but not that close,  3 of there next four games are against teams they are competing against for the pacific spot, the other game is against the coyotes.  If they lose any of those games it could be pretty much over.

I know this is the Flames thread, but can anyone explain to me what the hell happened with the Oilers this season? How did they get from the WC finals last year to now? Were they riddled with injuries? 

1 minute ago, Chandymen said:

I know this is the Flames thread, but can anyone explain to me what the hell happened with the Oilers this season? How did they get from the WC finals last year to now? Were they riddled with injuries? 

It's the Oilers. The entire organization needs to be gutted from the very top to the lowly popcorn vendors if they truly want to be genuine contenders again. I'm not saying last year was a 'fluke', but basically what happened was the same tried and true tactics that have kept the Oilers in the basement every year were countered by McDavid and Draisaitl being better than the usual highly touted forward they plug into the top lines, and pretty much everyone had a career year last year as well. Its not that the Oilers figured it out and this year was a misfire, its that they fell back to Earth.

5 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

It's the Oilers. The entire organization needs to be gutted from the very top to the lowly popcorn vendors if they truly want to be genuine contenders again. I'm not saying last year was a 'fluke', but basically what happened was the same tried and true tactics that have kept the Oilers in the basement every year were countered by McDavid and Draisaitl being better than the usual highly touted forward they plug into the top lines, and pretty much everyone had a career year last year as well. Its not that the Oilers figured it out and this year was a misfire, its that they fell back to Earth.

Hmmm, I still think they have a pretty good team...and McJesus alone should make you fight for a playoff spot :lol:. They definitely are weak on D and that pretty much has been their main problem for a long time. I'm pretty surprised that they didn't fire their coach.

6 hours ago, Schneider.Man604 said:

They didn't make it to the WC finals last year.

Exactly..according to Oiler fans they won the Stanley Cup last year.

Rough year for Western Canadian teams, looks like Flames fans are mostly blaming the coaching staff. 

I am looking forward to that "predictions" thread being unlocked and the poster who was very concerned (to the point where I got numerous PMs about it) that I predicted Calgary and Edmonton, most notably the latter, to take steps back this year (though I did think Vancouver could get to 75ish points - I was optimistic and didn't figure on all the injuries).   

15 hours ago, Chandymen said:

A culture of suck has been festering for a decade.  Sadly the organization as a whole does not understand the concept of defense or atleast the value of more than 2 good ones lol.  Injuries have been brutal no denying it but man they just cant go straight down the road. 

For me it is the most beautiful thing in hockey ATM :bigblush:

16 hours ago, Chandymen said:

Talbot played waaaay over his head last season - led the league in posts (e.g. lucky) and that luck was bound to change and it did.   The D is a mish/mash of style of players and their forwards rarely backcheck.   They don't seem to play for one another.   You see a lot of sulking including from their young captain.   They blame everything from referees to bad luck for their season but never seem to simply say, "we did not play as a team" and until they do that they remain a mess.   They have a good coach who is being made look bad.   They have horrible management it would seem.

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Flames are done. 

Mathematically, no

Realistically, yeah

Just not a Gaudreu fan. He is skilled and fun to watch. I get it. But I see him dissappear when needed most. I honestly wouldn't trade Bo for him straight across. 

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Talbot played waaaay over his head last season - led the league in posts (e.g. lucky) and that luck was bound to change and it did.   The D is a mish/mash of style of players and their forwards rarely backcheck.   They don't seem to play for one another.   You see a lot of sulking including from their young captain.   They blame everything from referees to bad luck for their season but never seem to simply say, "we did not play as a team" and until they do that they remain a mess.   They have a good coach who is being made look bad.   They have horrible management it would seem.

I have watched them a lot this year. I love watching them lose so I tune in a lot. They are absolutely horrible at getting the puck back. Also, McD tries to one man it to often and it just leads to a nice rush the other way. They are brutal. I remember the start of the year and all last summer. Blue and orange everywere I went. Now. Not so much.

7 hours ago, rekker said:

Just not a Gaudreu fan. He is skilled and fun to watch. I get it. But I see him dissappear when needed most. I honestly wouldn't trade Bo for him straight across. 

Johnny Hockey -3 tonight in must win game.

Funny how flames fans were mocking the Sedins toughness all those years.. now their offence is built around two guys that make the sedins look like Gary Roberts by comparison.

Their real problem is a lack of secondary scoring scoring and an average D that they paid heavily for.  

Looks like no playoffs and no draft picks until the third round.. boo boo hoo...

Archived