The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I have a different take than your opinion and have had it since he was in London.   I don't know "most flames analyst" so can only go with what I know to be the case in London and what I hear from who I know now.   

I am the same. But I only can go from what I see today, listen on the radio and read from the analysis, for example 

https://flameforthought.com/2018/03/03/matthew-tkachuk-next-calgary-flames-captain/

and on top of that from the flames players I talked to in person. Everyone me had only good things to say. 

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

We will have to permanently agree to disagree on this player and time will tell who is right.   I content he is the next Sean Avery and you say the next Bo Horvat.   Let's compare notes in a few  years.

Will do but he’s already way suprassd Avery. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I am the same. But I only can go from what I see today, listen on the radio and read from the analysis, for example 

https://flameforthought.com/2018/03/03/matthew-tkachuk-next-calgary-flames-captain/

and on top of that from the flames players I talked to in person. Everyone me had only good things to say. 

Will do but he’s already way suprassd Avery. 

No, he has not quite surpassed Avery with number of suspensions and number of teams but he will get there.

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't like their mix at all actually.   I called for both the Oilers and Flames to take steps backwards this year and it was because I don't believe either group has a good "team" in place.   I think the Flames are less dysfunctional but they have issues that are not solved simply with a hot goalie.    I think JG and SM are great/elite players but after that, not sold on Calgary.    Clearly McDavid is something special but I am not sure LD is worth Crosby money at all and beyond that, they have some very questionable pieces that they seem to be considering as core (Nurse is a stud though).

Oilers dysfunctions goes well beyond one ice issues, I just found out today that there's a bit of shadyness going on off the ice within the dressing room.  

11 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oilers dysfunctions goes well beyond one ice issues, I just found out today that there's a bit of shadyness going on off the ice within the dressing room.  

That is so unfortunate to hear as I have know of such things with other teams and it can literally take a decade to get over that sort of stuff.    There must be something there beyond just crappy coaching (?) and lack of playing for one another as have watched a number of their games and where it stands out that they really (some of them) really don't like each other is on the penalty kill.   They simply don't want to do the other guy's job nor do they seemingly often pump each other up.   McDavid tends to glower at his teammates and LD seems to be a very dour type - add that to Lucic who thinks he is an elite player (and isn't close), AL who believes he was worth Hall and Talbot who seems to have lost the confidence of his team and this is far from a team in good shape - add in what you are aware of and, wow.

Not related to Kassian, I hope?  

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is so unfortunate to hear as I have know of such things with other teams and it can literally take a decade to get over that sort of stuff.    There must be something there beyond just crappy coaching (?) and lack of playing for one another as have watched a number of their games and where it stands out that they really (some of them) really don't like each other is on the penalty kill.   They simply don't want to do the other guy's job nor do they seemingly often pump each other up.   

Watch nurse and Leons lack of enthusiasm for each other. It wasn’t trouba’s hit that gave Leon a black eye. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Watch nurse and Leons lack of enthusiasm for each other. It wasn’t trouba’s hit that gave Leon a black eye. 

Wow - maybe contract envy?   Anyway, I know this thread is about the Flames and I don't want to derail it.   I did pick both teams (Flames and Oilers) to take a step back this year in the "predictions thread" and it seems that my thoughts on the Oilers, which were largely based upon my lack of faith in their G and D, has been aided by something more troubling.   In terms of fixing, Flames fix is far easier (move out some of the redundancy on the back end, get a solid backup for Smith and add a strong center ala a Brandon Sutter) than the mess up the Deerfoot.

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If LD is an issue shouldn’t the Oil be able to get an elite Dman for him: Ekmanlarson or Karlsson?  

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow - maybe contract envy?

More like girlfriend envy haha 

Anyway, I know this thread is about the Flames and I don't want to derail it.   I did pick both teams (Flames and Oilers) to take a step back this year in the "predictions thread" and it seems that my thoughts on the Oilers, which were largely based upon my lack of faith in their G and D, has been aided by something more troubling.   In terms of fixing, Flames fix is far easier (move out some of the redundancy on the back end, get a solid backup for Smith and add a strong center ala a Brandon Sutter) than the mess up the Deerfoot.

I think jankwoski is going to be there future sutter but he’s still only in his first NHL season. Rittch is a nice surprise and has been everything you want in a back up but he’s not able to take that to the next level and hold the fort down when Smith is out long term. They did have lack but he was terrible.  The thing about the flames is their core is all really young and locked up long term so there’s no real rush

Who's your source on this? Just curious as that kind of information usually comes from someone with close connections to the team.

15 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Who's your source on this? Just curious as that kind of information usually comes from someone with close connections to the team.

FWIW my Coiler-loving friend who lives in Edmonton said the rumors of this were pretty rampant about a month or two ago. I'm not sure where it originated.

On 3/9/2018 at 1:58 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

If the Flames or the Oilers had even close the injury issues Vancouver had this year (every member of top line out at some point - right now 2/3 of it plus more season without top D than with it) then both would be below Vancouver in standings with pretty much certainty.   Fact that Edmonton with games "best" player and being the "team of the future" and anointed by so many after last year's playoff run to be the team to watch in the west is barely staying ahead of Vancouver through some shoot out wins shows how much these great hockey minds really know.     

Edmonton last year benefited from Talbot being way over his head and surprising teams.  

Not only Talbot.  Everyone had a career year in Edmonton last year... I had a really hard time believing they could even repeat.... let alone get better.  

Off the top of my head RNH, Draisaitl, Mcdavid, Maroon all had career years along with Talbot.

On 3/10/2018 at 2:45 PM, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

Not only Talbot.  Everyone had a career year in Edmonton last year... I had a really hard time believing they could even repeat.... let alone get better.  

Off the top of my head RNH, Draisaitl, Mcdavid, Maroon all had career years along with Talbot.

I fully agree. I breathed a sign of relief when Lucic signed in Edmonton and not Vancouver. I must admit the possibility of Lucic playing for Vancouver was a bit of a curiosity on my part but the reality of it is worse than Erikkson's tenure in Vancouver. At least Erikkson can  skate and play pretty good defense. An over payment for that value but that value is better than Lucic. That is one example of Edmonton's managerial  ineptitude.

There's still no real youth movement coming up for the Oilers. They have nothing coming to help their young stars. Crap goal tending.

Clueless ownership along with a very poor management group. Edmonton is right back to where they were before last seasons. Edmonton is a mess.

Calgary has done pretty well in their youth movement. Mediocre goal tending. I think they've leveled but have a far higher ceiling than Edmonton right now even with out a McDavid type player. 

Vancouver is right about where they should be dong what ever it is one wants to call it. Vancouver has a nice wave of youth coming up along with an elite goal tending prospect. I still question some of JB's moves but at least there's some pretty good players coming up. 

1 minute ago, The Great Canucks said:

Whats even better is that those morons traded away their first this year because they thought they were actually contenders. Everyone did nothing but suck Calgary off and talked about their overrated defense. Now, I get to smile as I watch lames fans suffer!

Still hoping they land the #2 or #3 pick. Wouldn't be the first time for Burke either.

Archived