The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden: We're building a new core group and will stick to plan (TSN1040) (Nov 21)

Odd.

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Yep.

Keep selling the lies and look to the empty seats for who's buying. Fewer and fewer.

Gm aquallini must be feeling the heat the puppets need to do a song and dance. 

Que the puppets. Benning last week says nothing and now linden reiterates the nothing 

combover, disagreeing with everything they do, criticizing all their moves, believing in nothing - fair enough, fair game - but calling Linden a "puppet" is pretty obnoxious.

It's nice to see that Linden has a plan for the team. I can kind of vision what the team will be like in a couple years when we have Juolevi, Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette and other young guns in the lineup. Once they get settled into the lineup when they get here,  the team will start to sell out games again. A rebuild doesn't happen overnight. Willing to wait it out alongside Linden to see how it goes

He said that he knows people want this to be a fast process?

I think it's more that people aren't on board with the process of signing vets and trying to squeak in the playoffs.

If you sell fans on playoffs they're gonna get impatient when it doesn't happen and we lose out on a higher pick. If you sell them on a rebuild and drafting top 3, I think most fans would get on board.

Fans are just frustrated that management appears to be trying to have the best of both worlds.

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But...wtf IS the plan?

We're going to get younger, trade youth and picks for older players

We're going to develop, trades prospects for NHL journeymen and vets

We're going to stockpile picks and prospects, lets assets walk and trades picks prospects

We're going to compete for the playoffs....

Thanks for the update Linden.  But we kind of need to know what the actual plan is instead of this bi-polar flavour of the day depending on our win loss column.

Keep coming to meetings and you might figure it out. Look at the big picturr and try to ignore the PR. 

Just now, oldnews said:

combover, disagreeing with everything they do, criticizing all their moves, believing in nothing - fair enough, fair game - but calling Linden a "puppet" is pretty obnoxious.

If the shoe fits. 

You think he believes what he's saying, that likes gillis saying he wanted torts.its laughable. 

i think linden really wants to make this team a winner but his hand are tied so yeah that's a puppet.

He was a pr move to divert attention from the horrendous ownership when he was hired.

I feel bad for him a dream job turning into a nightmare because he, like benning is  forced to sell bs to the fans and then place unrealistic expectation on this group of coaches and players. 

I appreciate that you disagree with and defend him and like everyone on here (still) it shows you care about this team just as I do but I feel like I've seen this movie and it's doesn't have a happy ending. 

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He said that he knows people want this to be a fast process?

I think it's more that people aren't on board with the process of signing vets and trying to squeak in the playoffs.

If you sell fans on playoffs they're gonna get impatient when it doesn't happen and we lose out on a higher pick. If you sell them on a rebuild and drafting top 3, I think most fans would get on board.

Fans are just frustrated that management appears to be trying to have the best of both worlds.

While I think that the more, long-term, educated fan is on board with a rebuild, the fair weather fan (usually corporate weasels) of which there are many, demand that a winning product be displayed to them, versus watching the exciting prospect of a new player core being formed. 

Obviously the best route to take at this point is a rebuild. However that rebuild is going to have to include Loui Eriksson, which I could think of worse things to happen.

3 minutes ago, combover said:

If the shoe fits. 

You think he believes what he's saying, that likes gillis saying he wanted torts.its laughable. 

i think linden really wants to make this team a winner but his hand are tied so yeah that's a puppet.

He was a pr move to divert attention from the horrendous ownership when he was hired.

I feel bad for him a dream job turning into a nightmare because he, like benning is  forced to sell bs to the fans and then place unrealistic expectation on this group of coaches and players. 

I appreciate that you disagree with and defend him and like everyone on here (still) it shows you care about this team just as I do but I feel like I've seen this movie and it's doesn't have a happy ending. 

Like Night of the Living Dead unhappy ending, or Scarface unhappy ending? How about Se7en? That was pretty screwed up. Become wrath....mind blown!

Just now, combover said:

The current core was built around a 2 and 3rd overall draf picks not picks  10 and 20th. Linden was the center of the core at his time here, that what was his draft position again. 

Pretty obvious what needs to happen. 

Hire Brian Burke and see if he can finagle some draft hijinks?

Just now, combover said:

If the shoe fits. 

I agree with you where the Tortorella hiring was concerned - I think Gillis was a ghost-GM by then, and judging by the attempts to reassure us all that it wouldn't happen again and that Linden would have full autonomy, I think there was fire behind that smoke, not simply mirrors.

But I also think it's reasonable in the current context to take the course of action they have - not necessarily believing in a tankdown/teardown, having players like the Sedins in the fold, that are legitimate franchise lifers if they choose, and looking to restructure the franchise without levelling it and choosing not to compete for a few years - those imo are justifiable balances - and in the end, the team's moves have been hockey moves.

I'm not going to comment on ownership - they've only really surfaced during the Linden hiring - but I have a lot of respect for Linden and Benning and don't consider comments that they are "puppets" to be fair or substantiated on any level.

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

the mentality of CDC projected on the management group.

Pffft we'd have already used up all our contract spots on waiver pick ups, traded everyone for Kane and Drouin and be excited about possibly drafting 3rd after finishing worst in the league

28 minutes ago, combover said:

Yep.

Keep selling the lies and look to the empty seats for who's buying. Fewer and fewer.

Gm aquallini must be feeling the heat the puppets need to do a song and dance. 

Que the puppets. Benning last week says nothing and now linden reiterates the nothing 

GM's and Management lie.

All the time.

But for once I just want a clear non BS look dead in to the camera answer about the plan.  Don't want to hear one thing then watch the team do another 2 weeks later that sets us further away from the ultimate goal in our continued march towards multi generational mediocrity.

Make a plan.  Stick to it

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But...wtf IS the plan?

We're going to get younger, trade youth and picks for older players

We're going to develop, trades prospects for NHL journeymen and vets

We're going to stockpile picks and prospects, lets assets walk and trades picks prospects

We're going to compete for the playoffs....

Thanks for the update Linden.  But we kind of need to know what the actual plan is instead of this bi-polar flavour of the day depending on our win loss column.

The plan is to "identify and build a new core group".  That's exactly what Linden said.  That's not a retool.  So they're not setting up the Sedins for another run at the cup.

The trick is how to do it.  

Linden listed 3D (Stecher, Tryamkin, Hutton) and some players up front (Horvat presumably and????) who could very well form part of the core.  There are others drafted but in junior, college or Utica.

Then they have to transition between the old core and the new core.  They have to rely on the leadership group (and he named the Sedins, Burrows, Gudbranson, Horvat, Miller) to help keep the team on task and playing their system etc.  I think that they need a certain number of veterans to help transition.  Even scorched earth rebuilding teams like the Leafs have a certain number of veterans that they have added back for this purpose.  So, adding Eriksson was a necessary thing.

Also, filling in the age gap that resulted from having no drafted players on the team for 7 draft years (2005-11) is to ease the transition.  Tanev, Guddy, Rodin, Baertschi, Granlund, Sbisa etc.

And of course, the new replacement core is not complete.  They are drafting it.  Players in the system now may or may not become part of the future core.  This depends on how they develop.

This is going to take time when you look at it as Linden describes.  

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I agree with you where the Tortorella hiring was concerned - I think Gillis was a ghost-GM by then, and judging by the attempts to reassure us all that it wouldn't happen again and that Linden would have full autonomy, I think there was fire behind that smoke, not simply mirrors.

But I also think it's reasonable in the current context to take the course of action they have - not necessarily believing in a tankdown/teardown, having players like the Sedins in the fold, that are legitimate franchise lifers if they choose, and looking to restructure the franchise without levelling it and choosing not to compete for a few years - those imo are justifiable balances - and in the end, the team's moves have been hockey moves.

I'm not going to comment on ownership - they've only really surfaced during the Linden hiring - but I have a lot of respect for Linden and Benning and don't consider comments that they are "puppets" to be fair or substantiated on any level.

Fair enough. I respect that.

I want nothing more than linden and benning to prove me and may others wrong (and I'm not trying to troll anyone ) but 

I don't see it the same on some levels. But I guess that's why it's a discussion board and not an agreeing board besides that would be boring. 

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hire Brian Burke and see if he can finagle some draft hijinks?

Funny that this is the same ownership that didn't renew him. A outspoken do it my way personality weird that that didn't workout rookie gms ever since. 

Tinfoil hat hat not required 

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Like Night of the Living Dead unhappy ending, or Scarface unhappy ending? How about Se7en? That was pretty screwed up. Become wrath....mind blown!

Ill go with seven a lot of tail chasing going on still. They haven't found the box yet.....yikes.

Archived