The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Recall F Alexandre Grenier

Odd.

Just now, oldnews said:

It's been obvious all along that you're a Go Leafs troll!

Well they do have some exciting players, in fact I have now started to PVR their games, but I have yet to yield to Torantahhhh! 

I am sure in another few years time we will see a decent team, but keep blaming eastern media for our circumstances. 

In the meantime, keep propping up plugs like Grenier etc etc without any fancy stats because you have none to defend players like these which we keep putting in our lineup. Maybe join the Jack Skille fan club? What a waste of a contract. Do I really need to go Desi on you? Plugs vs Skill? 

Just now, J.R. said:

Well that's where Eriksson, Horvat and (for now) Burr (along with the other lines and D) would need to step up and score some goals and prove that wrong. 

That is already starting to happen but part of that is putting those players in more situations that will demand other teams to respect it.

As long as the Sedins are given such preferential offensive deployment over Horvat and others, they will draw that defensive blanket.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That is already starting to happen but part of that is putting those players in more situations that will demand other teams to respect it.

As long as the Sedins are given such preferential offensive deployment over Horvat and others, they will draw that defensive blanket.

The Sedins will always get more o zone starts and Bo will always get more D  zone starts. Best get used to it. 

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The Sedins will always get more o zone starts and Bo will always get more D  zone starts. Best get used to it. 

As it should be. But their usage is not really providing the kind of offense to justify it, especially on the PP. I am of the opinion that if a player shows they can out produce your top line based on much tougher deployment, you start giving that guy more offensive opportunity to see what he can do with it.

If anothef line was given their same opportunity and produced exactly how they have you can bet they would not still be getting that level of deployment and opportunity under Desjardins. They deserve a longer rope based on their status but not that long.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

As it should be. But their usage is not really providing the kind of offense to justify it, especially on the PP. I am of the opinion that if a player shows they can out produce your top line based on much tougher deployment, you start giving that guy more offensive opportunity to see what he can do with it.

If anothef line was given their same opportunity and produced exactly how they have you can bet they would not still be getting that level of deployment and opportunity under Desjardins. They deserve a longer rope based on their status but not that long.

Bo should by all means get more minutes as he earns them. His usage however shouldn't and likely won't be much different. Another 1-2 +/- minute or so of PP time and same 5v5. Still largely leaning on D zone starts.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Bo should by all means get more minutes as he earns them. His usage however shouldn't and likely won't be much different. Another 1-2 +/- minute or so of PP time and same 5v5. Still largely leaning on D zone starts.

He has already earned them though imo.

How much more do Willie, the Sedins, or some fans need to see him do to "finally earn" more of that time?

17 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

without any fancy stats because you have none to defend players like these which we keep putting in our lineup.

LOL.  Such a fail

Since you ask desi...

https://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201617&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=25&teamid=29&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Megna

52.3% corsi with 8% ozone starts!

Chaput

51.8% corsi with 21% ozone starts!

Oh, the pain of the plugs.  Sure wish they had some decent underlying numbers to defend them with.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He has already earned them though imo.

And he's been getting more minutes for the most part recently. He was getting more in the 15-17 range and is now generally getting 17-20. I expect that trend will continue.

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not overly excited about guys like Megna, Grenier, Skille, Labate, etc. I would rather see Virtanen with a chance at a bigger offensive role than filling it with guys like that. But I can understand Desjardins doesn't want him in that spot right now so it is better to get him playing in the AHL.

The team is trying to win.

6th pick status aside megna and Chaput have outplayed or at least out worked Jake so far by a considerable margin.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

LOL.

Since you ask....

Such a fail.

https://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201617&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=25&teamid=29&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Megna

52.3% corsi with 8% ozone starts!

Chaput

51.8% corsi with 21% ozone starts!

Oh, the pain of the plugs.  Sure wish they had some decent underlying numbers to defend them with.

What are you trying to prove? I love guys like Chaput and Megna and Labate. At least these guys play a hard game, heck even Zelewski deserves a call up ahead of this guy Grener. 

Did you just dodge the question I asked of Alex "donut" Grenier? Or maybe I should just call him Casper? Or Maybe I should just call you Casper since you love dodging? 

Just now, SaintPatrick33 said:

What are you trying to prove? I love guys like Chaput and Megna and Labate. At least these guys play a hard game, heck even Zelewski deserves a call up ahead of this guy Grener. 

Did you just dodge the question I asked of Alex "donut" Grenier? Or maybe I should just call him Casper? Or Maybe I should just call you Casper since you love dodging? 

Ok, it's been a slice, but eventually the fun has to end - I'm pretty sure you have some homework to do.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Trying to win and trying to develop young players who are likely to be the future of the team aren't mutually exclusive though. 

No....but unless I'm reading something into your post I don't think it's accurate to say "Willie doesn't want Jake in that spot"

im sure Willie would love to have Jake in that spot but Jake hasn't earned it.  This collective obviously is not going to reward players with spots who dont deserve them.

its arguable that Jake played over Gaunce last year based on pick number but the franchise does not revolve around the development of virtanen.  This franchise #1 priority is winning in my view.

Just now, oldnews said:

Ok, it's been a slice, but eventually the fun has to end - I'm pretty sure you have some homework to do.

Come on man, do you have nothing to disprove my "eye test"?? My homework was completed a long time ago, now I am just passing the days by while enjoying homer trolls attempt to prove their point. 

:bigblush:

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Perfect opportunity to split the Sedins if you ask me.

Eriksson-Henrik-Sutter

Daniel-Horvat-Burrows

Two aggressive players with good defensive awareness and one playmaker.

This would create all kinds of  matchup problems for Ruff's defense imo.

But we're talking about Willie Desjardins here. Creativity isn't his strong suit. He just wants the team to "battle hard".

The guy isn't going to last with the ideas for lines he has.

It's too bad he doesn't play to his size. He's got decent hands and feet for a big guy, just doesn't use his size at all and hasn't been able to be anything resembling an offensive threat in the few games he's played in the bigs.

Good AHL #'s though... does he have to re-clear waivers to be sent back down? He got waived in October right, or am I high?

Archived