The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Strome unhappy being healthy scratched 2nd game in a row

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

It would be a solid time to acquire Strome, but not for Virtanen.  

Strome is 3 full years older, and had a rough season last year, and is following that up with a similar looking season.  At this point Im more comfortable projecting Strome to be a miss than Virtanen.

Im not against moving Virtanen, but the return should be better.  I would however offer up some other prospects not named Boesser, Juolevi, Demko.

Yea we shouldn't have a problem getting Strome without giving up any of the future. His value isn't that high right now and he's not worth any of the big 4. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Absolutely. I don't regret us drafting him. The risk reward of having a home grown Powerforward was worth it. I'm not really fretting about who we should or shouldn't have drafted. Anyone can Critique a draft after it happens. However, if he has so much upside everyone speaks of than we better make something out of it before it's too late. I'd love a project Offensive D-man or a playmaking Centre. Madison Bowey looks like a weed smoking delinquent, (bleeding prospect) but has one hell of a slapper. I'd be all over something like that.  We need players that CREATE offence. We need to start moving these passengers. Even if he somehow turns it around, Jake would still be a Passenger best case scenario. 

JV was a passenger in those 20 games after his return from WJHC?  I accept your role on CDC, but we saw a proactive JV, who literally dominated while on the ice.  He scored goals, but (More so) created havoc in the ozone with his speed and heavy forechecking.  He's a very young (immature) player, who we should allow to develop.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Actually I think Jake is starting to look more and more like a bust but I always like to give credit where credit is due.

I saw a lot of him in Jr and I have not seen him since. He dominated. It was a thing of beauty. Absolutely electrifying, he was so big and fast that d-men were afraid for their lives when he was on the rush. Haven't seen it since his shoulder surgery. 

53 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

A hockey trade is fine. Bleeding prospect for bleeding prospect swaps make a lot of sense. 

Jake is still young, it's too early to give up on him!!!! Blah, blah, blah. Switch Jake's name for, Schroeder, Kassian, Jensen, Vey, or Shirokov and you have the same old story on CDC. Don't give up on a prospect who is laying on the floor bleeding to death. Keep him alive!! It's hard to catch a falling knife but it's better than being left with nothing. Jake has regressed every year since his draft year. He Simply does not have the attitude or mentality to persevere and turn this around. He is just another power forward who relied on his size to score in Jr and now that he isn't 2x's the size of the dmen he is screwed. He has no hockey IQ to fall back on because he has never needed it before. 

I always enjoy reading your stuff, even when I think you're missing hard.

And you're not really selling Strome here so much as suggesting that dealing Virtanen isn't by definition nuts.  I agree with you on that, but I also think you're underestimating Virtanen's ability to blow by NHL defensemen, his hockey intelligence (he's definitely not vacant without the puck) - and maybe your impression of him is too based on recent play (I'm not sure he's healthy).

But if Strome is perplexed about why he's being scratched, maybe looking at reality will help with the answer.

He's been awful two years running - and he's at that make or break point of his career, flirting with the territory those players you name were in.

Strome:

43.3% corsi is worst among Islanders forwards

54% offensive zone starts, 56.8% last year

46% on draws, 41.1% last year.

Last season he had 8 goals and 28 pts playing 83.3% of his 5 on 5 time with Tavares.  That's just not very good. Virtually any NHL forward can score 28 pts beside Tavares.

This year his 6 points would have him 10th on the Canucks, behind guys like Burrows that most people around here would have written a song and included in a deal if we could have dumped him for nothing.  3 even strength points for Strome.

That is the kind of mediocrity that lands a guy in the press box.  It's not a mystery.  Inb4 the 'stats no mean nothin' - Strome's  bein' oppressed' objectionz.  A great young player would be forcing their coaches to play them.   The Isles have other options.

People love to blame this kind of stuff on coaches - but that 83.3% of 5 on 5 time with Tavares last year suggests that people whining about Strome's opportunities under Capuano are probably not looking at reality, and instead are fitting a narrative about 'poor young players', looking to assign responsibility to someone else.

I'm not a fan of Strome (or his brother) - I think I'd stay away from acquiring this guy - I just don't see the puck possession game being there, I don't see his own ability to drive play on a line, I don't see enough grit or defensive commitment or ability to win draws.  He's perilously close to that upside or bust dynamic with the upside not showing up. 

He's still only 23, so he could still emerge, but I'd be more inclined to either look for a center in the draft (we're not desperate for a center right now by any stretch of the imagination) - or look elsewhere if we're looking for a relatively developed young center.

43 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Drouin at least showed flashes of brilliance. I have never seen a single shift where I said to myself "that's the power forward we drafted". His offence is complete gone.

I said bleeding prospect for bleeding prospect. Not prospect and picks for another Defensive D-man. 

And Strome isn't redundant.  Where would he fit when Hansen comes back.  He sure doesn't bypass Bo,  He's a right handed shot center/RW that isn't very strong defensively. We already have Bo, Granlund, Sedin Sutter and granlund down our center depth.  

31 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Except Jake shouldn't be mentioned in the same atmosphere as Drouin lol. This is so far fetched...literally day and night. 

Hate to break it to ya but Jake has regressed and has shown no signs of turning things around . 

Hate to break it to you but Jake is 20 years old 

At 20 years old Ryan spent the first half of the season playing in the AHL

Travis Green are head coach in the AHL seems to think differently.

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  9m9 minutes ago

Green on Virtanen : "I have seen improvement in his game, he's buying in and playing the way he needs to help us win" #Canucks

All the tanklogists around here hoping for a top pick that will turn into 1C, well here is your counter argument in Ryan Strome. 

I still think he could turn into a good player, look at Nino (not attempting his last name) after he was traded. I'd take the risk on him, though I'd get the Isles to add if it were for Virtanen. 

13 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Absolutely. I don't regret us drafting him. The risk reward of having a home grown Powerforward was worth it. I'm not really fretting about who we should or shouldn't have drafted. Anyone can Critique a draft after it happens. However, if he has so much upside everyone speaks of than we better make something out of it before it's too late. I'd love a project Offensive D-man or a playmaking Centre. Madison Bowey looks like a weed smoking delinquent, (bleeding prospect) but has one hell of a slapper. I'd be all over something like that.  We need players that CREATE offence. We need to start moving these passengers. Even if he somehow turns it around, Jake would still be a Passenger best case scenario. 

Is this just based on that video that he posted? I agree with everything you have said in this thread, not sure I agree with this though. He could be just a kid having some fun on an off day, was high enough and stupid enough to post something he shouldn't have on the Internet. I am sure we have all done things we regretted while inebriated.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I always enjoy reading your stuff, even when I think you're missing hard.

And you're not really selling Strome here so much as suggesting that dealing Virtanen isn't by definition nuts.  I agree with you on that, but I also think you're underestimating Virtanen's ability to blow by NHL defensemen, his hockey intelligence (he's definitely not vacant without the puck) - and maybe your impression of him is too based on recent play (I'm not sure he's healthy).

But if Strome is perplexed about why he's being scratched, maybe looking at reality will help with the answer.

He's been awful two years running - and he's at that make or break point of his career, flirting with the territory those players you name were in.

Strome:

43.3% corsi is worst among Islanders forwards

54% offensive zone starts, 56.8% last year

46% on draws, 41.1% last year.

Last season he had 8 goals and 28 pts playing 83.3% of his 5 on 5 time with Tavares.  That's just not very good. Virtually any NHL forward can score 28 pts beside Tavares.

This year his 6 points would have him 10th on the Canucks, behind guys like Burrows that most people around here would have written a song and included in a deal if we could have dumped him for nothing.  3 even strength points for Strome.

That is the kind of mediocrity that lands a guy in the press box.  It's not a mystery.  Inb4 the 'stats no mean nothin' - Strome's  bein' oppressed' objectionz.  A great young player would be forcing their coaches to play them.   The Isles have other options.

People love to blame this kind of stuff on coaches - but that 83.3% of 5 on 5 time with Tavares last year suggests that people whining about Strome's opportunities under Capuano are probably not looking at reality, and instead are fitting a narrative about 'poor young players', looking to assign responsibility to someone else.

I'm not a fan of Strome (or his brother) - I think I'd stay away from acquiring this guy - I just don't see the puck possession game being there, I don't see his own ability to drive play on a line, I don't see enough grit or defensive commitment or ability to win draws.  He's perilously close to that upside or bust dynamic with the upside not showing up. 

He's still only 23, so he could still emerge, but I'd be more inclined to either look for a center in the draft (we're not desperate for a center right now by any stretch of the imagination) - or look elsewhere if we're looking for a relatively developed young center.

Im not a big Strome guy to be honest. I just think that there might be a point where you gotta try and catch a falling knife. Regression is an ugly thing but regression and a bad attitude are at a whole other level. 

52 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Boychuck, Seidenberg have both seen better days, and Pulock has yet to make an impact at the NHL level. Making the team stronger (they're bleeding goals) makes a case for convincing Tavares to re-up, which if he doesn't and ends up going to UFA year after this, they have to blow up the entire roster and begin rebuilding.

They have enough prospect depth that they can afford to lose Barzal, and Strome doesn't appear to be in their plans moving forward. Combined with moving to Brooklyn, they have a lot of pressure to improve this season and make the playoffs.

Would rather get Michael Dal Colle than Barzal. Cheaper, he's a LW which is a positional need of ours, and a former 5th overall pick.

Just now, Toews said:

Is this just based on that video that he posted? I agree with everything you have said in this thread, not sure I agree with this though. He could be just a kid having some fun on an off day, was high enough and stupid enough to post something he shouldn't have on the Internet. I am sure we have all done things we regretted while inebriated.

Is this something we can capitalize on? That's really all I was saying. It wasn't meant to be taken literally. 

39 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Spot on. 

It's the reality of things at the moment whether people like it or not. I just hope more come to realization of this.

...thus why I'd considering trading him now for someone like Strome before his value plummets if this trend continues with him.

And when Strome can't crack out line up and we are force to put him on waivers. We do we end up with then? 

About the same as we got for Vey and Etem?

Just now, Odd. said:

Would rather get Michael Dal Colle than Barzal. Cheaper, he's a LW which is a positional need of ours, and a former 5th overall pick.

Was just spitballing ideas, but yeah Strome + Dal Colle. I'd add onto Tanev with a conditional 1st. Is a 1st if Strome returns to form and puts up 50+ points per season until expiration of current RFA contract, and is successfully re-signed. 2nd if he doesn't return to form.

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Hate to break it to you but Jake is 20 years old 

At 20 years old Ryan spent the first half of the season playing in the AHL

Travis Green are head coach in the AHL seems to think differently.

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  9m9 minutes ago

Green on Virtanen : "I have seen improvement in his game, he's buying in and playing the way he needs to help us win" #Canucks

And produced at a rate Virtanen hasn't come close to touching.

2 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Was just spitballing ideas, but yeah Strome + Dal Colle. I'd add onto Tanev with a conditional 1st.

No thanks.  We get killed in that deal.

No Tanev and no 1st to rescue the Isles from their two biggest bust risks.

Tanev should bring a proven top 6 forward as a principle - not as struggling maybe.

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And when Strome can't crack out line up and we are force to put him on waivers. We do we end up with then? 

Just Fast Forwarding the eventual fate of Jake I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

And produced at a rate Virtanen hasn't come close to touching.

Jake will take time to produce, but he wasn't drafted to be a offensive star.  Something where if strome isn't producing, he's just another linden Vey.  We've been down that road.  Keep are picks, keep our prospects and continue on with the rebuild.  No need to find another stop gap and try to risk speeding up with rebuild. 

Jake has two more years for us to work with his development where he doesn't have to clear waivers.  I would rather take the risk him improving his play (and value) than taking on another teams failed prospect.

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think it could be a decent gamble. Strome still has a chance to turn into a decent top 6 center. He has proven that he can score at the pro level. This is a guy who at the same stage of his career as Jake put up 49 points in 37 games in the AHL.

Jake hasn't shown that level of offense in the pros. I don't see much upside in him anymore. He is looking more and more like a 3rd line player. I would take Strome knowing that he has an outside chance of being an impact player, its something that I no longer see in Virtanen.

Archived