The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Wild @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Still not sold on Gudbranson, thought he had another underwhelming game. Seen no nasty. He did hit the net though. That was exciting. 

He breaks up a lot of zone possession LB.  That is primarily what he does - and it is undervalued imo.

Just now, Mattrek said:

I'm out of likes, so I owe you one tomorrow. I'm a big fan of Benning and what he's done to this team in such a short period, but I've got to say his best move as GM so far is signing Stecher. Not a single cent went towards acquiring him. Brilliant move.

Chaput was free as well...

16 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Probably. Assuming he keeps scoring at this rate, what do you think he gets? Schieffle money and term?

If he keeps going like he is we'd be extremely fortunate to sign him for anything starting with a 5. It's leaning more towards 6 + every game that passes.

5 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

{Hypothetically} say we beat the Ducks, which is completely doable... What's your plan of attack for Saturday against the Leafs? Do we A finish every check and try and look to hit one of their star young forwards? Or Do you Want Gudbranson to go after Matt Martin and risk hurting himself while we're down 2 D-men in Edler and Tanev? (Next is Biega on the Depth Chart)

If I was Benning I'd call Bertuzzi and see if he's available for the game...

2 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

I'm out of likes, so I owe you one tomorrow. I'm a big fan of Benning and what he's done to this team in such a short period, but I've got to say his best move as GM so far is signing Stecher. Not a single cent went towards acquiring him. Brilliant move.

Nothing against Benning but to be honest Stecher's heart was set on signing here all things being relatively equal. He's wanted to be a Canuck all of his life. 

Really my main concern last year was Benning deciding not to offer him a contract. But I'm glad everything worked out.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Tryamkin has a lot of mustard on his shot.  I think he'll be more of a factor in due course.

Gudbranson's shot isn't soft either - it's just that he's the kind of guy who needs a beast in front to get sticks on /deflections, vacuum up rebounds, provide a screen - and I think he'll get some more points because he has been getting some pretty heavy shots on net, it's just that the goaltender can see them all.

Hutton's shot is considerably improved as well imo - not going to be busting through any mesh, but he's added some weight to his (previously somewhat soft) slapper.

The real secret weapon though is the Sbisa wrister.  Elite.

Its all about deception. Ya, Edler, Gudbranson and Tryamkin can shoot but it's the methodic wind up that kills them. Especially Edler. It's like "hey everyone, Eddy is winding up for a slap shot". "is everyone ready?!" "Ready" "ready,'" "ready" "ready" "Ok, in 5,4,3...."

Just now, LaBamba said:

Its all about deception. Ya, Edler, Gudbranson and Tryamkin can shoot but it's the methodic wind up that kills them. Especially Edler. It's like "hey everyone, Eddy is winding up for a slap shot". "is everyone ready?!" "Ready" "ready,'" "ready" "ready" "Ok, in 5,4,3...."

5,4,3...stick explodes!

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have a feeling everyone will see how mean Gudbranson can get on Saturday. Going to be at the game. Oh my Gord!!!!!

I think Willie is going to have his hands full keeping a lid on proceedings Saturday. I hope I'm wrong, I'd hate to see anything dumb happen out there.

10 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Jake will either be traded for Kane or become a career AHLer... 

Benning in the Province: 

Are the Sabres still kicking the trade tires with the Canucks and is Virtanen — who has seven goals in 65 career NHL games — in play in a long-rumoured swap scenario for Evander Kane?

“Nope — not trading him,” stressed Benning.

Archived