The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll: Greatest Canucks GM of all time

smokes

Who do you think is the greatest GM of all time for the Canucks?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pat Quinn no doubt. I wasn't born yet for the most time in the Quinn era, but re-reading the hockey history of the Canucks Pat Quinn can trade, draft and sign players to build a cup contending team (the 1992-1994 teams all have a shot at winning the cup). 

Brian Burke would be my second pick. Burke drafted the Sedins and Kesler and pretty much built the corner stone of our 2011 cup final team.

As of Gillis, he is only good at some aspect of the game, his best at adding the right pieces to the core group to turn a good team into an elite team. However, Gillis is atrocious at drafting (the only 2 good players who are legit NHLers playing in the NHL he drafted in his tenure as a Canuck was Bo Horvat and Ben Hutton). His poor drafting along with unwilling to move away from the 2011 core and try to keep everyone intact for another run is what really cost us to our current state.

Jim Benning is very good at scouting and evaluating young talent. However, he isn't the best at trading or signing contracts. I still like the type of team Benning is trying to build, but I think for long term success, he needs a capologist and an assistant GM that is mainly in charge of negotiating trades with other teams.

46 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We are still crawling through the mess he left behind, believing his in his soft core and signing deals that made change impossible.

Yes, Benning had one handcuff on his hand when he was hired but he turned around and put the handcuff on his other hand with the deals like Eriksson.  Other moves like dealing Garrison to free up cap space only to throw it all away on an INFERIOR IN EVERY WAY player like Pizza makes your argument kind of hallow IMHO.  Further, Benning has handed out NTCs pretty much like Gillis did (HELLO 40 point career high $4+ million foundational center Sutter - who the coach that Benning hired uses him alot as winger).  Guds will get a NTC  (pretty much a Bryan Allen clone) - I'd be shocked if Benning doesn't give him one based on past history.

As for "soft core" you can't use the argument that he inherited that core & then blame him for it being soft.  

Agree to disagree.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

It's funny that so many love Quinn, yet when Bure's name comes up management is trashed for how he was treated. Well Quinn was that GM. My choice is Burke. That Sedin deal was some real wheeling and dealing. He turned this team around pretty quick when he took over. Both financially and on the ice.

I think its because people assign a lot of the blame for that to both Bure and PQ. Tough GM, "star" player, at odds. When does that ever work out well? But I do appreciate how Gillis buried the hatchet with Bure, thats probably one of the best things Gillis did. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think its because people assign a lot of the blame for that to both Bure and PQ. Tough GM, "star" player, at odds. When does that ever work out well? But I do appreciate how Gillis buried the hatchet with Bure, thats probably one of the best things Gillis did. 

Don't forget how Quinn acquired Bure in the first place (ie., it was hardly kosher - scoresheets mysteriously appearing out of nowhere making Bure suddenly draft eligible).  That was a great management move (ie., the New England Patriots method - it ain't cheating if you don't get caught lol).

Sure how it ended kind of diminishes that achievement (on a FAR lesser scale like how Gillis bungled re-signing Ehrhoff - another great acquisition)

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

It's funny that so many love Quinn, yet when Bure's name comes up management is trashed for how he was treated. Well Quinn was that GM. My choice is Burke. That Sedin deal was some real wheeling and dealing. He turned this team around pretty quick when he took over. Both financially and on the ice.

Bure never had a problem with Quinn. It was the ownership group of McCaw interfering that screwed things up. Bure has gone on record multiple times that he and Quinn were always on good terms. As I recall I don't remember at any point Bure ever criticizing Quinn in his time here. As I recall Bure was more pissed with the media who kept bringing up his contract demands and the BS that he was going to sit out game 7 of the finals because of his contract situation. The media kept driving the narrative that Quinn and Bure were at odds with each other but it was never true. 

1.  Quinn

2.  Gillis

3.  Burke

Quinn is way out ahead. Saved the franchise from being sold. Stanley Cup final. Multiple division titles. Gave us Trevor Linden and Pavel Bure. Gillis a distant second. Brought us a Stanley Cup final as well, multiple President trophies. Burke is third. Brought us the Sedins and restored this franchise after the Keenan era. However his lack of playoff success is the deciding factor that puts him behind Gillis. 

Jake Milford did some great things (Thomas Gradin, Stan Smyl, Curt Fraser, Glen Hanlon, Richard Brodeur, Tiger Williams. Per Olov Brasar, Gary Lupul, Jiri Bubla, Ivan Hlinka, Rick Lanz, Kevin McCarthy0. Then again, he let go of Bill Derlago and Rick Vaive. 

How on earth is Jack Gordon (dubbed Elmer Fudd by either Tony Gallagher or Jim Taylor) not on this list????

I can't see anyone making a case for Gillis. The cons heavily outweigh the positives. I liked Gillis a lot, and I understood his decisions but a lot really didn't work out. He was gifted a great core and he was also gifted Ehrhoff and Hamhuis. Ehrhoff was a cap dump and Hamhuis only wanted to sign in Vancouver. His drafting was terrible outside of Horvat and Hutton. Horvat he gave up Schneider for. Oh yea. That goalie situation disaster. Sundin rumoured to have been offered 2 years for 20 mil. etc. etc. etc.

You could probably find a list of players Gillis brought in vs inherited that will make the picture very clear. 

6 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Ehrhoff was a cap dump. 

No it wasn't.  Ehrhoff didn't have a great last season with the Sharks (he was nicknamed "Error-hoff" for example by their fans).  Sharks managed to get a 2nd round pick (by not offering White a contract) - so they got something for an asset that wasn't working out.  At least that's my recollection.

A cap dump is Pizza - who Benning promptly gave a sizeable raise to.

Yeah the goaltending fiasco under Gillis prevents me from ranking him any higher than 3rd.

11 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

I voted Benning but right now Quinn is the obvious choice. I just love the direction Benning is going and I really believe he's the one to bring a cup to Van city!

nice of you to admit that

i like GMJB too but he is no where near all time greatest, yet. i will like him more when he trades Edler for a forward and frees Willy.

who ever bring us the cup will be the greatest. 

Burke and Quinn are HOFers, cant see JB being anywhere near that!

Archived