The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Flames

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I don't buy all this garbage about not having the best roster. I will the first to blame JB for his many errors. However, if a coach is expected to  only wear a suit and tie and stand behind the bench of talent laden self starters then can I apply for the job? 

The definition of coaching is to get the MOST of the group you have and get them to perform to a level greater than the sum of the parts, is that happening with the Canucks?

Hell no 

Don't forget that you also have to write their numbers and names on the score sheet...that takes a lot of skill. (joking)

I'm out of pluses so here's a makeshift plus.

I couldn't agree with you more, the team has to show up ready to play, whether they think their tired or not. Going into the break they should never never leave anything on the ice. Their mantra for this game should have been obvious as hell. Play hard now....... rest later!!!!

3 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

The system I'm talking about is a defensive-side system. That's where the Canucks really struggled last year, imho. From what I can see, the system is trap-based. When the other teams have the puck and the Canucks are able to set-up, our forwards crowd the neutral zone and our D-men play high on our side. They force the forwards carrying the puck to come at the offensive end in a non-straightforward fashion by staggering the D-men and the forwards (almost like a line). Both forwards and D-men are trying to poke the puck at the same time. It makes it very hard for the other team to do anything other than dump and chase. Our D-men are trained to be fast at turning around and retrieving the puck. 

On offense, there doesn't seem to be much of a system - it's more free-flowing and seems to be promoting more of a Center trying to set things up.

For as long as the trap's set up properly, Willie is happy and gives guys minutes.

Ya but we make up for it on the PP.... oh, wait....

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Teams with less talent need to play with urgency and outwork the opposition. The right coach can instill that mentality and style of play.

But to what degree could a new coach turn this team around? What do you see as the ceiling for this club? Sure, in the ideal situation where every single thing falls into place, something which never happens for any team mind you, any team has a shot. But what do you see is a realistic ceiling for this team?
5 places better? We're 23rd instead of 28th? 20th? Surely we are not a team competing for the cup.

We have a lot of work to do personnel-wise. Changing coaches just tells me that management is clueless as to what this roster is if they expect us to be doing better by extraordinary orders of magnitude.

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Don't forget that you also have to write their numbers and names on the score sheet...that takes a lot of skill. (joking)

I'm out of pluses so here's a makeshift plus.

I couldn't agree with you more, the team has to show up ready to play, whether they think their tired or not. Going into the break they should never never leave anything on the ice. Their mantra for this game should have been obvious as hell. Play hard now....... rest later!!!!

I still say if Pedan was playing he would of made some of those Flames accountable in the crease whacking and hacking and face washing Markstrom with no response...but hell...Canucks have to make sure Biega gets those mandatory games in.......

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

I still say if Pedan was playing he would of made some of those Flames accountable in the crease whacking and hacking and face washing Markstrom with no response...but hell...Canucks have to make sure Biega gets those mandatory games in.......

I wish they would give Pedan one game so that we can see how he would handle these situations.  

BTW- Biega sounds too close to Bieksa - which only brings me disappointment.  Reminds me of Christmas 1982 where I asked for a Sony Walkman and I opened the present and my cheapo parents bought the knock off Sonni Walkman made in like Peru.  It played music but every time I saw the name i Knew it wasnt the real deal.

Just now, EmilyM said:

But to what degree could a new coach turn this team around? What do you see as the ceiling for this club? Sure, in the ideal situation where every single thing falls into place, something which never happens for any team mind you, any team has a shot. But what do you see is a realistic ceiling for this team?
5 places better? We're 23rd instead of 28th? 20th? Surely we are not a team competing for the cup.

We have a lot of work to do personnel-wise. Changing coaches just tells me that management is clueless as to what this roster is if they expect us to be doing better by extraordinary orders of magnitude.

Wins and losses and place in the standings are not the right reasons to bring in a new coach.

A focus on shifting away from the reliance on vets and giving the kids more of the reigns and allowing them to develop as they can is the reason. If they earn it and vets do not, they should get it.

Creating a sense of true accountability for ALL players. If you don't play the right way there are consequences. Not just for the ones under 22 years old or aren't named Sedin or Edler.

An ability to create a hardworking and never give up spirit and culture that is predicated on genuinely hating to lose and being willing to do whatever it takes to win. That's how teams get better. 

If a new coach brings those things then it is a win. Because our future will only get better once those things happen.

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Patience is key during this time. TL has been preaching it. Everyone knows that this team is crap

Why did they sign LE...and just watch them extend the Sedin's and Miller's contracts.

You don't have to be patient for that because we know what we have with them.

This team sucks and we have veteran leadership.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Wins and losses and place in the standings are not the right reasons to bring in a new coach.

A focus on shifting away from the reliance on vets and giving the kids more of the reigns and allowing them to develop as they can is the reason. If they earn it and vets do not, they should get it.

Creating a sense of true accountability for ALL players. If you don't play the right way there are consequences. Not just for the ones under 22 years old or aren't named Sedin or Edler.

An ability to create a hardworking and never give up spirit and culture that is predicated on genuinely hating to lose and being willing to do whatever it takes to win. That's how teams get better. 

If a new coach brings those things then it is a win. Because our future will only get better once those things happen.

Which kids do you see are being stunted at the moment?
Bo developed in Willie's system. I see Willie being criticized for not giving Bo 1st/2nd line duties when just a couple years ago, he was not even supposed to have that high of a ceiling. Like it or not, he developed on Willie's system to the point he is now in the conversation for being our future 1 or 2.
What about Tryamkin? A guy who went from being too out of shape to play in the league to being one of our more promising prospects in the span of a couple months. Surely wIllie deserves some credit for giving him the tough love and made him earn it.

7 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I think we have a playoff making roster.

If we don't change the coach we are accepting losing and more fans will walk away. 

I think keeping Willie and doing more of the same is the definition of insanity and sends more of clueless message to the fans 

he lost me with his ridiculous lineup decisions last year (vey, Higgins, weber ... the list goes on) and this year the team still is disjointed. He is without a pulse behind the bench. 

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

Whats the status on Hansen, he is our toughest player lol.   Such a weak team overall. Not physical, no top tier scorers. No dencemen with quarterback ability or the threat of a hot shot from the point. 

We better get a top 3 pick this year..

12 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

That is a powerful accusation right there: The Canucks'management is not icing the best team they can because of some contract concerns. You do not believe that pedan is so bad that they prefer Biega! Pretty strong claim. Those of us who have not played in the NHL truxt that guys that have like Linden and JB know what it takes. Maybe when you played in the NHL things were different??

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Which kids do you see are being stunted at the moment?
Bo developed in Willie's system. I see Willie being criticized for not giving Bo 1st/2nd line duties when just a couple years ago, he was not even supposed to have that high of a ceiling. Like it or not, he developed on Willie's system to the point he is now in the conversation for being our future 1 or 2.
What about Tryamkin? A guy who went from being too out of shape to play in the league to being one of our more promising prospects in the span of a couple months. Surely wIllie deserves some credit for giving him the tough love and made him earn it.

Considering his usage and pigeon hole approach by Desjardins, a strong argument that Horvat seems to be excelling despite Willie, not because of him.

Tryamkin played in the KHL and did well there. He is not a fresh out of junior green rookie who has never played against top players in a top league. He took some time to adjust but was very NHL ready.

I think both of your examples actually have a lot more to give and a coach who can tap into that without trying to apply the brakes to their development as much will probably be the coach to get it.

Horvat right now should be our #1 centre and on the top PP unit. Of all the players in this team, he does the absolute most with the least amount given to him by the coach. Imagine if our most aggressive offensive player was actually used in an offensive role. Instead Desjardins keeps trying to prop up the Sedins all the time. New linemates, same deployment, same sporadic results of getting their points but it rarely actually helping the team win or even be competitive.

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

That is a powerful accusation right there: The Canucks'management is not icing the best team they can because of some contract concerns. You do not believe that pedan is so bad that they prefer Biega! Pretty strong claim. Those of us who have not played in the NHL truxt that guys that have like Linden and JB know what it takes. Maybe when you played in the NHL things were different??

you are a trusting soul...sorry ..I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid...

6 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I think we have a playoff making roster.

If we don't change the coach we are accepting losing and more fans will walk away. 

I think keeping Willie and doing more of the same is the definition of insanity and sends more of clueless message to the fans 

he lost me with his ridiculous lineup decisions last year (vey, Higgins, weber ... the list goes on) and this year the team still is disjointed. He is without a pulse behind the bench. 

"I think we have a playoff making roster." Right there you lose all credibility. Not one hockey analyst had the Canucks in the playoffs before the season started. You know more than people who work in hockey full time? There is no offense, inexperienced defence and average goaltending. And no depth. That is so far from a playoff roster.  I know, I know, Horvat. Yes, the best young player in the league. A monster. And Hutton!! And of course, one of the top defencemen in the league period,, little Stecher. Still not enough.

29 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

As your name would state

Ya. And I came up with that in 08. I couldn't give a Christmas #&!# about nostalgia like linden does. I want a god &!#! Cup. 2011 was light years ago. Hiring linden because he was a good player was a mistake. 10 years from know we will regret it ( which incidentally is around the time me may be close again)

Archived