The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG...Top 100. Simmons picks someone other than Gretzky as their #1!

alt kilgore

:shock: 

Getting a few pundits like Gallagher in a tizzy.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/26/orr-was-greater-than-the-great-one-steve-simmons-top-100-nhl-players-of-all-time

Orr was greater than The Great One: Steve Simmons' Top 100 NHL players of all time

1. Bobby Orr, D

1966-1979 | Boston, Chicago

657 games played; 270 goals; 645 assists; 915 points

Could do everything and then something you’ve never seen before while changing the way the game was played. A combination of speed, power, toughness and offensive brilliance we will never witness again.

2. Wayne Gretzky, C

1979-1999 | Edmonton, Los Angeles, St. Louis, New York

1,487-894-1,963-2,857

Appropriately known as The Great One, no one will ever match his impossible, incredible scoring numbers.

SCROLL DOWN TO END OF ARTICLE TO VOTE IN OUR POLL!

3. Mario Lemieux, C

1984-2006 | Pittsburgh

915-690-1,033-1,723

The most extreme combination of size and talent in hockey history.

4. Gordie Howe, RW

1946-1971; 1979-80 | Detroit, Hartford

1,767-801-1,049-1,850

Mr. Hockey. The name and the numbers say it all.

5. Jean Beliveau, C

1950-1971 | Montreal

1,125-507-712-1,219

The hockey player’s hockey player, skilled, smooth, full of grace and universally beloved.

6. Maurice Richard, RW

1942-1960 | Montreal

978-544-421-965

The Rocket — the first 50-goal scorer was an iconic Montreal figure and a 14-time all-star.

7. Bobby Hull, LW

1957-1972; 1979-1980 | Chicago, Winnipeg, Hartford

1,063-610-560-1,170

The most electrifying player in history; everything he did, including the booming slap shot, seemed somehow larger than life.

8. Doug Harvey, D

1948-1964; 1967-1969 | Montreal, New York, Detroit, St. Louis

1,113-88-452-540

In an 11-year period in his prime, Harvey was a first team all-star 10 times and a seven-time Norris Trophy winner.

9. Guy Lafleur, RW

1971-1985; 1988-1991 | Montreal, New York, Quebec

1,126-560-793-1,353

The most beautiful player we’ve ever seen in so many different ways.

10. Sidney Crosby, C

2005-present | Pittsburgh

736-362-614-976

Fifth in history in points per game in an era where scoring is oh so challenging.

Well now, .......

I think Orr was the best of the best.......but, it should be measured like this.........best of his era against best of the rest in their era

Reason........the rules get changed, so many times, pads grow and shrink, no center line, just a multitute of reasons...................

When I think of Orr in his era, I think Pavel Bure and Wayne Gretzky combined....seriously, for his era, and his rules, etc, he was a high lite package every minute he was on the ice..................... but it would be close between, Orr, Gretzky, and Lemieux, can't imagine them all playing on Team Canada at the same time.....it would have been Crazy!

Never seen Rocket Richard, but the stories I have heard, makes him sound kind of Orrish, I seen Jean Beliveau........crazy sick dekes........very smart, only guy I have ever seen do a slow mo deke against dman and make them look silly, time and time again.......the difference in him and Orr's dekes was that Orr did it at high speed, which cost him his knees, in the end....Howe's best years were in the 60's, wasn't that much on hockey on TV in those days....I seen a picture of Howe without his shirt once, muscles on muscles, upon muscles.......and no Gym membership....there was a reason he came out of the corner with the puck every time.......

Pretty solid top 10 from the guys I have seen........

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

This list was created to get under people's skin. Getting people upset is the best way to them to share it.

Don't fall for it. 

Ha..you're probably right. Just looking for something to do before the game start.

But I have to admit I like seeing the Harper loving whiny Oiler off the top perch for once.

I do think its very debatable about who the best player of all time is. Obviously Gretzkys numbers are ludicrous, but theres more to hockey than raw point scoring.

How well do you think a team of Gretzkys would fair against a team of Orrs or Lemieuxs?

We're speaking of decades of difference in the game everyone

Orr as a DEFENCEMAN scored almost 1.7 points per game.  As a DEFENCEMAN and is the only player alive to own the hardware he has at that position.  I have him as my #1 as well just because we never got to see him play in to the 80's.  If he had the medical expertise back then we have now...the guy would have been a 2000 point defenceman.  Think on that.  But that is the 70s and early to mid 80s

Gretzky is the best of the best without question in a numbers game.

Messier is or was #2 based in part on gretzky, but through the 80s and mid 90s

Lemieux might even have been better than gretzky but only had some of the 80s and 90's to cement that

If all of these guys had played through the 80s and 90's together and stayed healthy and all had 15 year careers who knows what those numbers look like.

Hell...if Gretzky hadn't have taken that shot to the back in 94 that basically seemed to change his entire life on the ice he might have broken 3000

For me it is 

Orr

Gretzky

Lemieux

And only based on numbers and projected numbers

I'm pretty sure Simmons has some sort of mental disability..........

53. Steve Yzerman <------- I mean this alone should be enough to get you fired

88. Teemu Selanne

95. Ron Francis

97. Pavel Bure

3 minutes ago, Devon Jade said:

It's just a freakin' list.

Here's my list:

1.Eggs

2. Milk

3. Bread

4. Tea

5. Coffee

6. Cheese

7. Lettuce

8. Chicken

9. Oranges

10. Chocolate

10. Bob Beers

Given how many hockey players have been known to imbibe the odd bottle of brewed ale, Beers may have the ideal hockey “food name.” The former Bruins, Lightning, Oilers and Islanders defenseman was dealt twice in his 11-year pro career – meaning, yes, two different NHL GMs made a trade for Beers. Many people inside and outside the hockey world have made the same transaction.

9. Steven Rice

A former star for Canada at the 1991 IIHF World Junior Championship, Rice steamed NHL executives when he never blossomed in hockey’s best league after being drafted 20th overall in 1989. Rice’s minutes were limited in 329 career NHL games and he amassed 64 goals and 125 points before retiring at age 27.

8. Andre Champagne

After a junior career at Toronto’s storied St. Michael’s school, Champagne played only two games at the NHL level, both for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He’d go on to spend most of his decade-long playing career in the American League for Rochester. No telling if he became any more or less bubbly when he did.

7. Adam Oates

One of the most creative playmakers to grace the game, Oates amassed massive offensive numbers in 19 NHL seasons and has more points (1,420) than any U.S. collegiate player in history. Honey, nuts to those who say Oates shouldn’t have been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

6. Jim Korn

An American defenseman who played 11 years for five NHL teams, Korn was a bruiser (racking up 1,801 penalty minutes in 596 career regular season games). In many ways, it’s amazing he never acquired the nickname ‘Crack,’ but perhaps his teammates didn’t care.

5. Jari Kurri

A legend of both the NHL and his native Finland, Kurri was a key cog in the Edmonton Oilers dynasty who scored at least 50 goals in a season on four different occasions. He also had some spice in his game, as evidenced by the fact he had more than 100 penalty minutes six times.

4. Paul Coffey

The legendary defenseman earned most of his Hall of Fame numbers with Edmonton and Pittsburgh before bouncing around the league at the end of his 21-year NHL career. In his final season, he had a cup of, er, hot java with Boston, playing 18 games in 2000-01 before retiring as the No. 2 defenseman all-time in goals (396), assists (1,135) and points (1,531).

3. Frederick ‘Bun’ Cook

His given name was Frederick, but everyone knew the left winger as ‘Bun’ when he skated for the Rangers and Bruins from 1926-37. Part of the ‘Bread Line’ with his brother Bill Cook and Frank Boucher, ‘Bun’ won two Stanley Cups with the Blueshirts, went on to coach more American League teams to championships (seven) than anyone else in that league’s history and was inducted into the HHOF in 1995.

2. Milan Chalupa

Hockey is the last place you’d expect to find a surname such as Chalupa, but for 14 games in 1984-85, it appeared on the back of a Detroit Red Wings jersey on a defenseman who would never play another game in North America after that. The best part? Chalupa is a Czech!

1.Per Djoos

The standard by which all other hockey/food names are measured, both Djoos’ surname (pronounced “juice”) and given name (pronounced “pear”) are foodstuffs. The Swedish defenseman played only 82 NHL games over three seasons in the early ‘90s, but his name leaves a legacy bigger and more fruitful than anything he did on the ice.

Top 40 Players of all time in my opinion

1. Gretzky
  2. Orr
  3. Howe
  4. Lemieux
  5. M. Richard
  6. Messier(Ugh)
  7. Jagr
  8. Brodeur
  9. Harvey
  10. Lindsay
  11. Bourque