The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

Worth a shot, especially if Jensen doesn't pan out.

Rodin's problem was always his strength. If he's worked on that, he definitely has the skill to be an NHLer.

Though that may have been part of the problem, the real issue with Rodin was that he couldn't stay healthy. From what I remember, separated shoulder and concussion slowed down his progress...now that he's had a few years of good health and grown a little more, he's shown to be productive in the SHL. I'd take a flyer on Rodin.

• Upvote 1

Though that may have been part of the problem, the real issue with Rodin was that he couldn't stay healthy. From what I remember, separated shoulder and concussion slowed down his progress...now that he's had a few years of good health and grown a little more, he's shown to be productive in the SHL. I'd take a flyer on Rodin.

Strength is part of that though. If you're not strong enough to battle along the boards or finish your checks, you're gonna get tossed around and are more likely to get injured.

Same thing with his concussion. Reaching for pucks cause he's afraid to take a hit.

Strength is part of that though. If you're not strong enough to battle along the boards or finish your checks, you're gonna get tossed around and are more likely to get injured.

Same thing with his concussion. Reaching for pucks cause he's afraid to take a hit.

Don't kid yourself about Rodin. One of his attributes even as a 20 year old was that he was willing to compete. Kid wasn't afraid of getting hit. So yah, strength was an issue. His willingness to compete while being light and not strong enough were the cause for his injuries. Not because he was "afraid" to take a hit. Quite the opposite and a big difference.

• Upvote 1

Don't kid yourself about Rodin. One of his attributes even as a 20 year old was that he was willing to compete. Kid wasn't afraid of getting hit. So yah, strength was an issue. His willingness to compete while being light and not strong enough were the cause for his injuries. Not because he was "afraid" to take a hit. Quite the opposite and a big difference.

I watched him play all through his time in Chicago. I agree he had the will to compete, but he would often shy away from physical play, especially after his concussion.

That's not his game though, and he realized that. Strength was definitely hurting his ability to excel in the AHL. There's alot less time and space in the AHL than the SHL and it's alot more physical. If he wants to adjust his game to that level, he needs to add weight and get stronger otherwise his game will never translate, and he will continue to get manhandled by bigger defenders.

Edited by DeNiro

His time in Chicago was terrible for him.

Became tentative around the puck, and diverged from his true style of play.

In Utica, I think he'd do a lot better.

Hopefully he wants to come back, but I understand why he'd stay there wit the contract he has.

Edited by NaveJoseph

I'd like to see him play a year in Utica first (or at least some time in Utica)

If he were to come back, he won't come back to play in the AHL there is no reason for him to do that. He has already played in the AHL and why would he want to leave a perfectly suitable situation in Sweden in his hometown to play in Utica? It doesn't make sense for him or the Canucks, he's already paid his dues in the AHL. If he is coming back, he shows up for training camp and if he doesnt get an NHL job he is going back to Sweden, that's what I would do if I were him.

I don't expect him to come back to the Canucks but I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a deal with an NHL team later on in his career.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

id try to get him back over here maybe after his season is done, join the comets for a playoff run and then if he plays well give him a one way nhl deal.

I totally agree his ahl time in Chicago was no good at all, We got swedes still on the team maybe they can influence him to come back for a chance at a nhl roster spot?

There seem to be a real lack of development of prospects the Canucks had that went to the Chicago Wolves. Yet previously with the Moose and afterwards with the Comets, players came up through the system.

At the draft, he was slated as a late 1st or 2nd rounder, so obviously he has something that warranted that level. While time is running out for him to ever making it to the NHL, it's still not impossible.

I'd like to see him play a year in Utica first (or at least some time in Utica)

As others have mentioned, he'd have no real incentive to come over to play in the AHL. Right now he's successful in the SEL, in his hometown and making pretty good money.

I'd see two possible ways he could come over:

-the team think enough of him to give him a 1-way at Higgins/Hansen/Dorsett/Prust type money or better, or

-he comes over on a PTO and he and if the team offers him enough after seeing how he fits in, he signs, while if it doesn't look like he'd be sure to be in the NHL, he could return to Sweden.

We already have Shinkaruk and Baertchi among others, we don't need Rodin.

Wow, did Shinkaruk make the team, and I missed it? Did Baertschi have a full season where he looked like a top six forward and I missed that too? Until they make this team Bearcheese and Shrunkpup are prospects, and so is Rodin. So far neither or Shinkaruk or Baertschi have not proven much of anything.

Bring back Bill Sweatt!!

Rather give Linden Vey a shot instead of 25 plus hear old retread "prospects" from the old regime.

Seriously if you haven't shown enough by 25 you are a bust and probably never making it unless you change your style and become a third line 2-way guy or 4th line depth guy grinder.

Jensen is a bust too unless he learns how to play defensively like his countryman Hansen.