The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

I don't doubt his ability I believe he will be a impact player. However I do doubt his ability to stay healthy he seems to get injured at a Saloesque rate. Hopefully that's over now and he can make it. I expect him to stay with the club but split time between the ice and the press box which I think is probably for the best has he even completed a full season as a pro?

Daniel Sedin between 54 and 71 point NHL seasons scored 33 points in 49 games in the SEL. Mind you, Modo had Forsberg, Naslund, the Sedins, Weinhandl, Steen, Enstrom, and Aucoin. 

A couple comparables are Zuccarello (64 points in 55 games) and Soderberg (60 points in 54 games). A low end first line winger and a high-end 2nd line center. While I don't want to put unrealistic expectations on Rodin, we shouldn't be shocked if he is a solid 2nd line player for us. 

• Upvote 4

On 8/16/2016 at 8:00 PM, hammertime said:

I don't doubt his ability I believe he will be a impact player. However I do doubt his ability to stay healthy he seems to get injured at a Saloesque rate. Hopefully that's over now and he can make it. I expect him to stay with the club but split time between the ice and the press box which I think is probably for the best has he even completed a full season as a pro?

I hope they don't rush him this season.Let him heal up. We already know what he's going to bring (scoring). I wouldn't want him starting out on a weak leg and underperforming in camp.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I hope they don't rush him this season.Let him heal up. We already know what he's going to bring (scoring). I wouldn't want him starting out on a weak leg and underperforming in camp.

Maybe carry him as a spare forward? Give Grenier a chance on the 4th line before exposing him to waivers. 

Could we put him on the IR I wonder? I think we could open up a roster spot for Grenier/Gaunce type young'un.  "Rodin - He has had very minimal training in the offseason due to his injury, he will be at camp, but despite reports, he will not be 100%."

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Could we put him on the IR I wonder? I think we could open up a roster spot for Grenier/Gaunce type young'un.

I guess it depends on doctor evaluation? That would be ideal in a sense. Give two guys a chance for a spot after the season starts. 

I am a fan of Grenier from watching the Comets, and I just want to see him get a decent shot in the NHL. Enticing combination of size and skill. 

• Upvote 1

Yes and with injuries I'd rather see Rodin closer to 100% healed than trying to force it too soon.

And add a young forward in the meantime.For a truer evaluation in the bigs with real NHL competition.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

12 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes and with injuries I'd rather see Rodin closer to 100% healed than trying to force it too soon.

I have a feeling they'll give him some games in Utica on a conditioning stint to start the season. I don't foresee Rödin or his agent objecting to this (a straight demotion would be another matter however). But it would be wise to ease him into regular game play after his injury and rehab (and the setbacks in summer training that resulted from this).

EDIT: per questions earlier in the thread, it shouldn't be difficult to get approval for a conditioning stint. I don't see any reason why a doctor (both those employed by the team and/or player and those who handle approval/oversight for the NHL) wouldn't support such an action.

This also might help with any roster pressures for opening night. They can paper transfer non waiver eligibles to make it under the limits, move Rödin down for a bit (without waivers if it's for conditioning), and thereby avoid needing to waive anyone at risk of being claimed. Most likely, with a little juggling, they can keep everyone in the system. And I'd be willing to wager somebody gets injured before they're forced to put any NHL grade player through regular waivers (even if a Hudler type is added to the roster).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I see Rodin has a European assignment clause I suspect much like Tryamkn. Frankly I'm not sure what that means ...can he agree to play in the AHL rather than back in EU or MUST he play back in EU  ????

He can choose to go to Europe instead of playing in the AHL.  It's his choice.

Yeah, there's really no reason why the Canucks would have any issue placing Rödin on a conditioning stint, other than the player and the agent objecting due to his clause, but I think they'd agree to a few games in Utica if Rödin isn't 100%.

More than anything, Rödin wants this crack at the NHL to be successful, and taking some time to get physically ready is probably his best option. That way he can hit the ice at close to full ability and in game shape when he plays his first regular season contest with the Canucks.

And the rules around conditioning stints are pretty soft. I can only think of a couple times the NHL has refused and they were obvious attempts at circumvention where the player was already in game shape but the team wanted to temporarily address roster/cap issues. 

Rödin's injury is about as documented as they get. Same with the longterm nature of his rehab and recovery, and inability to train fully this summer (until recently).

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Was just going to post about a possible conditioning stint and see you already beat me to it @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME ;)

Don't you hate it when that happens? ;) 

Although I'm not surprised. Our reactions and views on team/hockey related things tend to align (most of the time).

And I can't even begin to count the number of times you've beat me to a comment I was planning to make. :) 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't rush Rodin. He needs a fair chance as a shooter. I don't want him in there half legged or half frozen with cortizone or whatever. If that means a delayed year for him and a training camp in Utica that fine. I want to see the player in his element putting pressure on the D and creating scoring chances with his shot. And finding the net.We don't need him all wobbly and risk him re-injuring himself. red shirt him till Halloween if he needs it.