The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Avalanche @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

59 minutes ago, Green Building said:

No, you can't, but I can remember multiple plays where instead of finishing a check the Canuck player glanced off the body as more of a polite gesture. And I know what you're trying to say, but if we really had the puck all night the Avs wouldn't have managed 26 shots.

I'm happy with the win, just scrutinizing a number that stood out.

It's true Rodin, Baertschi and Granlund aren't going to effect people much with checks, but 10 Avs shots were on 8 minutes of power play.  No way to check anybody then either.  The Avs gave up huge chunks of possession as well as breakaways to Granlund, Chaput, Gaunce while they were checking people. They don't have much firepower, second lowest goals in the league, so they have to play like that and hope for a few bounces.  They did get some bounces and almost got a point in this game.  

2 minutes ago, Steen said:

The more I think about it, that Miller milestone is so impressive.  Out of all the goalies in NHL history, he is just the 21st to get 350 wins.  

He's a bad man. 

Another way to think of it is that's basically just over four full seasons worth of wins, assuming 82 game seasons where he played all the games. Obviously that's not the case, but just thinking about how long a season is, and that he's won the equivalent for four plus is astounding. 

Another way to think of it: He's won 350/677 career games. That's just over half (~51%). Not too shabby for someone who's actually floundered a bit this season, and has been playing since '02!

The pre Xmas game against Calgary was probably the worst game the Canucks had played this year...Good on the team from bouncing back from that ,to knock off 4 straight wins ..Good to see Sven bag a couple as well,he should be well on his way to 15 goals this season (I predicted 20,but we shall see..)..

Rodin is still shaking off the cobwebs,but he made caught my eye with a few smart plays tonight..He's patient with the puck,and doesn't panic.

I also liked Huttons game tonight,skating well,and really cutting down time and space on the opposition...He looked out of his depth for a good chunk of this season.

I still ,for the life of me,cannot understand why the Av's have such a dreadful record.?...They have elite forwards in spades..Also,they are one of the better skating teams in the league..IMO..Go figure..!

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Has he turned the corner finally? If he keeps up this play and solidifies a top 4 position on D, the contract actually looks great. 

Tryamkin, Stecher, Juolevi are keepers. 

Edler has a NTC 

That leaves Tanev, Hutton, Sbisa, and Gudbranson. 

That's 8 really good d-men capable of playing in the top 4 role. 

I wonder who will be the odd man out. 

With this streak they have going on with Edler back from the injury, I still pick Edler as an odd man out.   He has a good value but if he refused to waive his NTC then his value is not that great.  To keep other value on the team high for future transactions, I'd let go Edler despite his effectiveness on this team and his age is not on his side and he has only 2 years left on his contract after this season with no team control on his future while other young defence has some kind of control and trade value is good if we ever decide to use that chip for a skilled forward with our young blueliner in the pipeline. 

Other option, if Benning wants to keep Edler, he would have to make some kind of a deal with Vegas not to touch Sbisa, Gud, Edler and Tanev and a forward when they are exposed and if Edler is not taken, great, I'd rather to expose Edler than to lose Graunlund and Baerstchi.  IMO, Edler has more value to an expansion team for a trade than Graunlund and Baerstchi and they are worth more to the Canucks than Edler.  So it'll be a win-win istuation for us.  

Not only was it nice to see the Bear score a couple tonight but  the Ox had another solid game, showing poise and finish. Miller had another solid performance tonight! Stecher continues to amaze. Hutton probably had his most complete game as he was aggressive, pinched more often, and created more offence and chances like this..

hutton-sick-pass.gif?w=1109&h=606

I'm warming up to Granlund.  I think Gaunce is a keeper.  He flops around a bit but there's upside there.  Willy had him killing penalties tonight with Burr not playing.  When Willy sat him for those couple of games the 4th line did nothing.  Rodin needs a couple of games to catch up but he'll be ok.  Over all seeing some progress.

10 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

The pre Xmas game against Calgary was probably the worst game the Canucks had played this year...Good on the team from bouncing back from that ,to knock off 4 straight wins ..Good to see Sven bag a couple as well,he should be well on his way to 15 goals this season (I predicted 20,but we shall see..)..

Rodin is still shaking off the cobwebs,but he made caught my eye with a few smart plays tonight..He's patient with the puck,and doesn't panic.

I also liked Huttons game tonight,skating well,and really cutting down time and space on the opposition...He looked out of his depth for a good chunk of this season.

I still ,for the life of me,cannot understand why the Av's have such a dreadful record.?...They have elite forwards in spades..Also,they are one of the better skating teams in the league..IMO..Go figure..!

Legalization 

19 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

I love Baertschi. If he keeps up this first-line pace for many years he'll be up there with Naslund as my favorite players of all time. 

Horvat and Baer are now scoring at pretty much exactly the same place as the Sedins. 

Who did Calgary draft with the 2nd we gave them for Baertschi again?

With 10 goals, he would be tied for 3rd in Calgary. With 22 points, he would be tied for 4th.

Again, just saying....

EDIT: I should be careful... Rasmus Andersson is doing pretty well in Stockton.

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

There is no such thing as coincidence. Three solid D pairings, healthy and working as a unit and we are winning, yo!

The back end is really getting it done and the whole team is playing better because of it.  It's pretty tempting to overreact right now but the vision of this management as well as how Willy has deployed and developed the next gen of players seems to be coming into focus. Getting pretty excited and trying to keep it measured. The next wave is taking over. Go 'Nucks!

Horvat continues to leap forwards, no pun indended. The kid goes from a mediocre skater to one of our faster players in one year, and seems to be on his way to breaking his ceiling as well. Very good sign 

Yes , our back end is going to be a huge staple going forwards. All young , all playing very well. Same goes for goaltending. 

Alright I'm home. I had great lower bowl seats. Here is what I saw.

1) the sedins struggled but Sven fought hard even though he was out of position a lot he shot first and it paid off.

2) Bo Horvat was amazing. I don't care what anyone says or thinks he is one of the best players I have ever seen.

3) troy Stecher may be our best player. He is always in the right spot and made passes I didn't think were humanly possible. My mouth is dry from being open so long when he was on the ice. He was always ready for the one timer. He was the only Canuck ready to let loose all night.

4) edler made some solid plays but he did not stand out as deserving the a. Tanev was not impressive either. I love both these guys but they were mediocre at best. Sbisa was awesome and had a cross rink pass that had everyone on their feet.

5)Miller is a great goalie

1 hour ago, Canucksfor2012 said:

Final Note:

With a healthy roster, there are going to be some tough decisions to make. I'd like to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson/Burrows

Granlund-Sutter-Rodin/Eriksson

Burrows/Gaunce-Chaput-Skille/Megna

I know that breaking up Burrows and Bo/Baer doesn't seem like a great idea, but I'm banking on the idea that Burrows isn't necessary for those two to continue their point-getting ways. Burrows was definitely the key to getting them to this point, but at some point they will need to do it consistently without him. Eriksson should theoretically be a good fit on that line, with his offensive instincts, defensive prowess and ability to forecheck. Rodin could be sheltered defensively by Granlund and Sutter, and Burrows would improve an already decent 4th line.

If the twins must remain paired:

Daniel - Hank - Jannik

Baertschi - Bo - Eriksson

Granlund - Sutter - Burrows

Wonder how these 3 lines would do?

Archived