The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Avalanche @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Echoing sentiments of hard play and effort. Very nice to see a full game. Interesting though, the hits were 27-5 Avs, and that tends to favour the home team as well. 

we had all the possession.  Cant check when the other guy doesn't possess the puck

Deeep D, with a variety of skills. 8 guys(incl Gud) about 20.5 mill AAV. Amazing bang for buck.

Excellent goaltender tandem. Featuring experience & a big, budding star.

What team can compete with our back-end & crease? Perhaps CBJ or the Hawks?

This team could do well in the spring.

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

If we are realistically talking about playoffs, this stat needs to significantly change on a consistent basis.

Yeah I can't argue with that. 

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

Our D were taking hits on every single forecheck. Not big ones but hits nonetheless 

In the playoffs those hits have a little more oompf behind them. Not ideal to take so many, especially without dishing them back.

3 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

we had all the possession.  Cant check when the other guy doesn't possess the puck

No, you can't, but I can remember multiple plays where instead of finishing a check the Canuck player glanced off the body as more of a polite gesture. And I know what you're trying to say, but if we really had the puck all night the Avs wouldn't have managed 26 shots.

I'm happy with the win, just scrutinizing a number that stood out.

I would like to thank Benning for signing.... Jack Skille. 

He's another vet, that seems to help the 4th line, gives us the occasional goal or assist. Never complains. Goes about his business and seems to set a good example for the younger guys. I sort of questioned the choice after his PTO, but it's pretty clear the guy fits the team really well. He also never stops working. Well done JS and JB!

Jim Benning has done a great job in rebuilding this team. Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Tryamkin, Sbisa, Sutter, Gudbranson. Not to mention Demko, Boeser and Juolevi in the pipeline. The only player he's drafted that I have concerns about is Virtanen. But considering he's a power forward I will give him the benefit of the doubt and wait for him to develop. I have confidence Jake will turn the light on soon and maybe join the big club as early as next year. 

Also the other player that hasn't pulled his weight is JB's big money signing Loui Eriksson. Not sure what the problem is with him as he was a 30 goal scorer last year. Hopefully he gets his sh** together as that is an albatross of a contract if he doesn't contribute. I don't think JB expected Loui to be playing this badly. He was one of the top UFA's available and a lot of teams wanted him. We'll see if he can regain his form from last year. 

As for Willie, I have been critical of him this year. However these past few games he has done a great job with the team and with the kids so maybe there is hope for him after all. I'll admit I was wrong about him and he does look like he is getting his sh** together. I'm totally backing off my criticism of him until further notice. Let's see what he does the rest of the year. 

And finally yes we are a playoff team. I said this from opening day. It's just that when we had that 9 game losing skid all hell broke loose and it looked like we were headed toward another 28th place finish. But I will say it right now. Barring any major injury crisis, I think we will make the playoffs. Not sure what to expect at the trade deadline. I'd love to get young assets and picks for some veteran players but if we are in the hunt I just don't see JB getting the green light from Aquilini to sell. We'll see what happens. 

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning in one of his interviews said he was thankful for Burrows pointing Sven and Bo in the right direction.  I think it was a real turning point for them to play with him over Skille/Virtanen and that he helped them get going.

Horvat is now 21pts in the 26 games since and Baer is 20pts in 23 games (he missed 3 games). 

Baer and Horvat had another very good game (obviously). And playing Burrows with them really seemed to help. Rodin seems to be step down from Burrows, but he was okay tonight. I am pretty sure Bo would have been a good player without or without Burrows, but I am less sure about Baerschi. In any case, keeping Burrows was clearly the right call.

That line (Baer and Bo and Burrows) has been the best line 5-on-5 most of the season.

1 minute ago, hobart16 said:

Put Erickson on the 1st PP, Sutter isn't doing much there and Erickson could use boost.  

4 lines going, 3 solid D pairs.  Wins by committee. 

Seems reasonable to try Eriksson on the first PP. He is not the same kind of net-front presence as Sutter, but he is more skilled with the puck.

But the D pairs are all looking good. All the guys are playing well and I think WD finally the right combinations.

Archived