The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charles Manson Hospitalized

DonLever

From CBC:

A California prison official says cult leader Charles Manson is alive following reports that he was hospitalized.

TMZ reported Tuesday that Manson was taken to a hospital in Bakersfield, about 100 kilometres south of the California prison where he has been incarcerated.

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation spokeswoman Terry Thornton declined to say whether the leader of the notorious Manson family has been hospitalized.

Thornton said Manson, 82, is still assigned to the prison in Corcoran, but she declined to say whether he's there, citing safety and security protocols.

Privacy laws prohibit her from discussing an inmate's medical situation, Thornton said.

Manson was convicted of orchestrating the 1969 murders of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and six others on consecutive nights.

Tate's sister Debra Tate told The Associated Press on Tuesday night that, as a Catholic, she makes "no ill wishes" for the people who killed her sister, and will reserve her feelings until hearing Manson has died.

"I would probably say a prayer for them and shed a tear and ask God to have mercy on their souls, but so far I haven't allowed myself to feel anything because it's unsubstantiated," Tate said. "I'm not allowing myself to feel anything until I know that it's true."Implicated in at least 9 killings

Sarah Ardalani of the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said in an email that the agency had no information on Manson. The office prosecuted Manson and has objected to his release. He was most recently up for parole in 2012 — his 12th bid for freedom.

The California State Prison, Corcoran, has medical facilities to treat inmates requiring urge

nt or emergency care as well as in-patient hospital stays.

"In general, inmates are sent to outside hospitals if they need surgical services, emergency care, or diagnostic services of an acute nature," said Joyce Hayhoe, a spokeswoman for the federal receiver who controls prison medical care. "These services are not provided in state prison facilities."

In November, the state inspector general, which monitors the corrections system, characterized care at Corcoran as "inadequate."

Manson was convicted of leading a cult in which disaffected young people living in a commune followed his orders and were ultimately turned into killers.

In addition to the slayings of Tate and four others in Bel Air, grocery store owner Leno LaBianca and his wife were brutally killed in their Los Feliz neighourhood home.

Manson and three female followers, Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten, were convicted of murder and sentenced to death for killings at the two gruesome scenes in the summer of 1969.  Another defendant, Charles (Tex) Watson, was convicted later.

All were spared execution when a U.S. Supreme Court ruling temporarily banned the death penalty in 1972.

Manson was also implicated in the killings in 1969 of Gary Hinman and Donald Shea, for which Bobby Beausoleil and Bruce Davis remain imprisoned.

With files from CBC News

This April 4, 2012 file photo provided by the California Department of Corrections shows serial killer and cult leader Charles Manson around the time of his most recent parole eligibility.

Sources in the prison have reported Chuck has passed away.

Still in awe of him actually being in prison for so long when so many child rapists and baby murderers were freed long before their sentences were up in the US

And yes there are many examples.

Charles Manson for all his insane evil and screwed up thought processes never actually murdered physically a person to my knowledge yet was jailed for the crimes and instead "ordered" his followers to do it.

The US is a crazy crazy place.

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sources in the prison have reported Chuck has passed away.

Still in awe of him actually being in prison for so long when so many child rapists and baby murderers were freed long before their sentences were up in the US

And yes there are many examples.

Charles Manson for all his insane evil and screwed up thought processes never actually murdered physically a person to my knowledge yet was jailed for the crimes and instead "ordered" his followers to do it.

Yep. Even in this thread you can see people ready to dance on his grave without being familiar with the details of the case.

He essentially became a boogeyman relic of the hippie era.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

50 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Yep. Even in this thread you can see people ready to dance on his grave without being familiar with the details of the case.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Excusing Manson is like giving a pass to some on trial at Nuremburg.  Just because you don't pull the trigger doesn't mean you don't have responsibility in the deaths.  Manson was there for some of the killings.  Using a modern example (albeit much less severe), the idiot who Facebook Live'd the torturing in Chicago the other day is in just as deep as the ones who did the dirty work.

45 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Seriously!? 

Care to share the details which make you believe this creep isn't a serious threat to society? 

Manson should've been put down LONG ago.

4 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Seriously!? 

Care to share the details which make you believe this creep isn't a serious threat to society? 

Reminds me of an old joke from Dennis Miller.

Regarding Manson attending his parole hearings yearly like clockwork.

"What better way to signal to the board that you've put your personal problems behind you than showing up to your parole hearing with a swastika carved into your forehead"

2 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

Seriously!? 

Manson should've been put down LONG ago.

Not that I think he should be free but for arguments sake. He's non violent as he did not do the killings, and I'm pretty sure people are not stupid enough to follow his every word again.

11 minutes ago, smokes said:

Not that I think he should be free but for arguments sake. He's non violent as he did not do the killings, and I'm pretty sure people are not stupid enough to follow his every word again.

Nobody thought there were stupid enough people to follow his every word back then, either. There are plenty of stupid people who would fall into that category walking around in the world today. One has only to take a really good look around themselves or pay attention to what's going on in the world to see that.  :picard:

Just because Manson's hands did not physically participate in the killings DOES  NOT mean that he doesn't have the blood of Sharon Tate and her baby on his hands.. One can be violent without actually physically killing someone.. do a little research.

Archived