The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have Faith!

Doogie

Our team hasn't been entirely healthy for most of the season and yet here we are only a point behind Calgary for the final wildcard spot with two games in hand. With the next two games against the lowly Avalanche and Coyotes, I am confident we will take over one of those wildcard spots heading into the All-Star break. I believe Willie said Hansen should be back after the All-Star break giving our lineup a boost and solidifying our chances for the playoffs.

Since the start of the season a number of players have come a long way including Granlund, Stetcher, Tryamkin, Sbisa, and a rejuvenated Burrows.  When Hutton and Gudbranson are back, baring any other significant injuries to the lineup you have to admit we have a pretty solid group. With the progression of certain players and a healthy lineup I see us making some noise come playoff time. The only thing I see working against us is our schedule after the All-Star break, but again I have faith in our group and you should too. 

-Doogie

They are way above my expectations, so this is all bonus in my eyes because all the youngsters are getting tons of important minutes and we are not being slaughtered.  

The rebuild is going as well as one that is logical and realistic, can hope.

7 minutes ago, Doogie said:

Our team hasn't been entirely healthy for most of the season and yet here we are only a point behind Calgary for the final wildcard spot with two games in hand. With the next two games against the lowly Avalanche and Coyotes, I am confident we will take over one of those wildcard spots heading into the All-Star break. I believe Willie said Hansen should be back after the All-Star break giving our lineup a boost and solidifying our chances for the playoffs.

Since the start of the season a number of players have come a long way including Granlund, Stetcher, Tryamkin, Sbisa, and a rejuvenated Burrows.  When Hutton and Gudbranson are back, baring any other significant injuries to the lineup you have to admit we have a pretty solid group. With the progression of certain players and a healthy lineup I see us making some noise come playoff time. The only thing I see working against us is our schedule after the All-Star break, but again I have faith in our group and you should too. 

-Doogie

i'm hopeful about the team after the all star break. but the schedule isn't going to be kind to us. it'll be close whether we make the playoffs or not cause there are some tough teams the canucks will be playing against. Hansen will definitely give the team a boost. who comes out of the line up though? Megna haha 

Calgary and St.Louis are on a 3 game losing streak and L.A is on a 4 game losing streak. It would really help our playoff push if we can get on a win streak when these teams are struggling. Also, it's going to be nice to see a full healthy lineup again. The team has been playing well recently, they got to keep it up!

5 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Calgary and St.Louis are on a 3 game losing streak and L.A is on a 4 game losing streak. It would really help our playoff push if we can get on a win streak when these teams are struggling. Also, it's going to be nice to see a full healthy lineup again. The team has been playing well recently, they got to keep it up!

team has been playing well. unfortunately not so much on the road. but i get a good sense that they'll win the wednesday game against the Avs. doesn't seem fair that they have so much talent and they're going to get another top end talent in this years drsft as well. 

I have high hopes for the rest of the season too.  Here we are in the thick of the race for a wildcard playoff spot, and our rivals ... St. Louis, Calgary, LA, Winnipeg, and Dallas are all struggling.  We're about to take on two of the league's weakest teams and it would solidify our position if we beat them both.  But we have to be careful not to take them lightly as we so often do with 'weak' teams.  It's not an automatic 4 pts.  Hopefully we won't squander the chance to move up in the standings.

We'll be as healthy as we've ever been this season after the all-star break.  Getting Hansen back especially will be huge as he gives us 3 good scoring lines.  And as it has been said, it's a bonus that the youngsters have had a chance to gain valuable playing time during our injury situation.  

I think we're in for a strong finish to the season, and we will make the playoffs.

A power play farting along at 12% needs to be resolved before I can really have any faith this team as-is can do even a small amount of damage - should they even make the playoffs.

They work their butts off sure. You can't take that away from them. They can't win on the road though, and their PP is the main reason why.
It's not a small problem either. It's been this bad for years, and nothing they've tried has fixed the issue. 

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

I just look forward to laughing at the media - sports writers and all they said about us before the season started and those who agreed with them!  Hopefully some will learn NOT to take them all that seriously again...

Don't forget to include a great many of our fans too. At the start of the season very few gave us a chance of doing anything.

Log jam in the standings at 50 points results in the Canucks at 18th. Other teams have games in hand. The Canucks have a tough second half too. Lots can happen between now and then to make each game a 4 pointer situation that will see the team shift from 16 OA to 21 over a weekend. Most projections had the team finishing bottom 5, a Horvat injury away from happening. 

Yes, the health excuse. This fan base's go-to pasifier. Many teams have had their rosters decimated and are doing just fine. Sedins and Horvat played all season so far, pretty lucky. The D is another story, but the depth has carried it. 

Overachieving, in a rebuilding season, if a few games over .500 is overachieving, will not shut the media up because there is still the bizarre situation where JB has not acquired any picks or prospects; that the roster looks no different than it did in October. The TDL will be this team's Achilles Heel if JB has not successfully acquired draft picks and prospects. The media will again hack down the direction of the team if measurable changes aren't made, so you might want to zip your last-laughs until at least then. 

The positives for this roster have have been the D depth and solid netminding. The emergence of Bo isn't a surprise, but without him, this team is lottery bound, guaranteed. He is the difference in most of these games. MVP. 

7 hours ago, J-23 said:

Their losses are our points in a way.  If the Canucks can beat our division rivals with regularity I like our chances. More than anything I want respect back from all the dingholes that predicted a 30th placing at around 65 points.  And LA to NOT make the playoffs...But Doughty will somehow still be a Norris finalist.  And Hansen or Ericcson to ignite the twins in the second half.  And to have 7-8 20 goal scorers.  And Cherry to choke out admiration for this team.

Oh yeah and in the end a parade.

8 hours ago, Doogie said:

-Doogie

There are some tests coming the teams way that should be interesting. Not sure if what I heard was true, but Gudbranson is likely out for the season, so that sucks.

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

True but hanzal isn't the only enemy canucks have.  Last year the puck took out both Edler and Sutter in the same game. 

The puck is nearly impossible to protect oneself against, FTG. It's always lurking, waiting to striketumblr_n5n7hvoj731rkmmabo1_1280.gif

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Their losses are our points in a way.  If the Canucks can beat our division rivals with regularity I like our chances. More than anything I want respect back from all the dingholes that predicted a 30th placing at around 65 points.  And LA to NOT make the playoffs...But Doughty will somehow still be a Norris finalist.  And Hansen or Ericcson to ignite the twins in the second half.  And to have 7-8 20 goal scorers.  And Cherry to choke out admiration for this team.

Oh yeah and in the end a parade.

I don't think you can dredge up many projections of 30th OA or 65 points. 

Doesnt seem to stop this forum from using that as some kind of standard projection from the hockey world. Rather than it just being as ridiculous as it looks, it's now a rally cry for bored fans.

I'd guess that the average prediction, Mackenzie's for instance, was about 20-25th and 77-87 points. So really, not much to settle out there with projections. 

If you take into account that JB was expected, like any rebuilder, to sell of players and acquire pick/prospects, the odds of this team finishing 20-25 OA seemed likely, but a playoff push is here instead.

It's more of a case of be careful what you wish for, the Sedins won't be here much longer to absorb the gaps resulting from an apparent philosophical reluctance to have drafted within lottery contention. Have at those hacks, but the last laugh won't be had until June. 

Archived