The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Tyler Graovac (MIN)

Mackcanuck

7 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Horvat might be hurt. This could be perfect. 

This is what I think a claim would hinge on.

Graovac is not an upgrade over anyone in our lineup - no one deserves to sit so this guy can play - but if Horvat is injured, he may be a viable option if they don't want to recall Gaunce quite yet.

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

He has ZERO assists in 50 NHL games and you want him "for the betterment of our future"?

We have 46 contracts in place today and I am not sure Benning wants to add one more before he sees what happens at the trade deadline. We may need these open contracts between now and the expansion draft.

Yeah, if you look at his stats on hockey DB http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122866 you will see that he has a history of playmaking (assists). Not saying this kid is a world-beater but a 6'5 4th line Centre that can put up 6 goals in 45 NHL gams sounds like an upgrade on Chaput who put up 3 in the same time frame.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Except it isn't a competition between them... it is Graovic vs. Larsen for the final roster spot.  We are carrying 8 D and only 12 forwards.

If anything it is Graovic vs. Gaunce and just for the remainder of the season... but Gaunce had a good run and is doing well with more minutes in Utica.

Except you're failing to follow the conversation you're jumping into where the suggestion from the furball is that he should replace Skille.

8 minutes ago, Vancity87 said:

Yeah, if you look at his stats on hockey DB http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122866 you will see that he has a history of playmaking (assists). Not saying this kid is a world-beater but a 6'5 4th line Centre that can put up 6 goals in 45 NHL gams sounds like an upgrade on Chaput who put up 3 in the same time frame.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201617&sit=5v5&type=corsi&teamid=29&pos=skaters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

And look at his possession numbers and you see a guy with

39.9% offensive zone vs 21.4% defensive zone starts

a corsi of 38.3%

Those are horrible possession numbers - playing with one of the league's worst possession players doesn't help, but it remains that Graovac isn't particularly mobile, and isn't a particularly strong defensive forward.  And that's coming from someone that like him (and has him in two fantasy leagues).

Chaput (and Skille) on the other hand - well look for yourself:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201617&sit=5v5&type=corsi&teamid=29&pos=skaters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

I could see Graovac as a viable option if we lose Horvat, but otherwise I'm not sure the team goes outside the organization to downgrade it's bottom six - doesn't really make the kind of statement you want to guys like Skille, Chaput, Megna - who came here and earned a job - not to Boucher, who's game probably translates better for this team's needs.

And that says nothing about the fact that Chaput is an excellent face-off guy (51.5% in primarily dzone starts) and a downright puck hound.

The Wild have been experimenting with their lines to try and figure out what moves, if any, to make at the TDL.  

According to Russo it sounds like Boudreau will be shifting Coyle back to C as they think it gets him moving his legs more.  He believes that they are now looking for a top-9 right wing.  So with Coyle now at C - it moves Haula to C4 and Graovac is the odd man out.  

6 minutes ago, Vancity87 said:

Chaput has outscored Graovac at both the Junior and AHL level by a fair margin. Both have 6 points this year so I really don't see Graovac being an upgrade from an offensive perspective. He would have to be a major upgrade in defensive capability or physicality IMO to replace Chaput.

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Chaput has outscored Graovac at both the Junior and AHL level by a fair margin. Both have 6 points this year so I really don't see Graovac being an upgrade from an offensive perspective. He would have to be a major upgrade in defensive capability or physicality IMO to replace Chaput.

I'd like him, especially with his size, over Megna. I think he hits pretty often too. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

This is what I think a claim would hinge on.

Graovac is not an upgrade over anyone in our lineup - no one deserves to sit so this guy can play - but if Horvat is injured, he may be a viable option if they don't want to recall Gaunce quite yet.

Hmmm?

I never looked at him that closely but he always seemed like a player with some potential. Not as much to see there in the NHL though, but he had played a bit better of late it seems.

http://www.startribune.com/suddenly-wild-s-tyler-graovac-is-finding-his-game/412513223/

Last Tuesday when the Wild coach was asked if he would be comfortable with the fourth-line center spot heading into the playoffs if Graovac’s play didn’t vastly improve, Boudreau paused five seconds, then deadpanned, “Let’s hope it improves.”

In the two subsequent games, Graovac, who had no points in 17 consecutive games and one in the previous 30, scored three goals.

“You see it in every sport. In baseball you go 18 at-bats without a hit, you usually go 3-for-4 when you do get a hit,” Boudreau said before the Wild faced the Flames on Wednesday night. “Grao’s the same way.”

But Boudreau also talked with Graovac, who seemed confused that as a fourth-line center he had the freedom to attempt offense.

“I told him, ‘You can be really good defensively because that is what you’re supposed to be on the fourth hole, but I’m not saying don’t score,’ ” Boudreau said. “This is the NHL. Every player in this league has got special skills. You get an opportunity to go, you go. But when the opportunity isn’t there, you think defense.”

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

I never looked at him that closely but he always seemed like a player with some potential. Not as much to see there in the NHL though, but he had played a bit better of late it seems.

http://www.startribune.com/suddenly-wild-s-tyler-graovac-is-finding-his-game/412513223/

Russo writes today that he was too inconsistent for everybody's liking in that 4th line role.  

Archived