The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

26 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Jonathan Dahlen says he's coming to Vancouver next week for 2 weeks to get a head start on prep for next season.

tweet from blake price

After all the dizzying conversations about summer training regiments, ala Virtanen, Tryamkin, etc, this will sit well with most of us I think. Good to hear he is eager to get set on the right foot heading into the fall - maybe Stecher can show him his summer workout routine. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 1

He probably should spend an entire year in Utica playing North-American hockey against men first, but I've got a feeling he's going to burst into training camp and steal a roster spot. This kid's skill level is off the charts and probably higher than people think. His defence and physicality might be an issue in the early goings which is why the AHL would be ideal, but I think he's going to make it a really tough decision for the coaches. He, Goldobin and Boeser are going to have to really fight for it.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He probably should spend an entire year in Utica playing North-American hockey against men first, but I've got a feeling he's going to burst into training camp and steal a roster spot. This kid's skill level is off the charts and probably higher than people think. His defence and physicality might be an issue in the early goings which is why the AHL would be ideal, but I think he's going to make it a really tough decision for the coaches. He, Goldobin and Boeser are going to have to really fight for it.

If Dahlen & Goldobin can both be top 6 wingers for this team going forward, then this years TDL is going to go down as one of the best ever for this team.

It's Exciting to finally see some youth take shape. Horvat, Boeser, Stecher, Goldobin, hopefully Dahlen with Virtanen and Juolevi at some point + whoever we draft this year ( Please be Patrick / Hischier ) , the core of this team could really start to solidify itself as early as the 18-19 season.

If even one or two of the players like, Gaudette, Lockwood, Briesbois, Etc. can make the team over the next 2-3 years I think people will start to forget about year 1 and 2 of Bennings tenure.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

If Dahlen & Goldobin can both be top 6 wingers for this team going forward, then this years TDL is going to go down as one of the best ever for this team.

It's Exciting to finally see some youth take shape. Horvat, Boeser, Stecher, Goldobin, hopefully Dahlen with Virtanen and Juolevi at some point + whoever we draft this year ( Please be Patrick / Hischier ) , the core of this team could really start to solidify itself as early as the 18-19 season.

If even one or two of the players like, Gaudette, Lockwood, Briesbois, Etc. can make the team over the next 2-3 years I think people will start to forget about year 1 and 2 of Bennings tenure.

Totally agree they are 2-3 years away from being much better as long as the stay on track.  A top two pick this year and a top 5 pick next year would really help.  

Edited by Borvat

10 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Totally agree they are 2-3 years away from being much better as long as the stay on track.  A top two pick this year and a top 5 pick next year would really help.  

Also if you look at the contract's Benning has signed ( Sutter / Eriksson ) by the time the team is ready to make some noise in the playoffs their Modified NTC's kick in allowing Benning the flexibility to move them if need be.

• Upvote 1

Another year playing in Sweden followed by 2-3 developing and learning the NA game in the AHL and he could be a solid piece down the road. If we can develop him properly and he does not bail back to Europe once he is here. I do like the attitude he is displaying though. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He, Goldobin and Boeser are going to have to really fight for it.

Fruits of the past few years rebuilding starting to ripen ::D

When's the last time we had three high end offensive prospects needing to duke it out for a a roster spot? :towel:

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Fruits of the past few years rebuilding starting to ripen ::D

When's the last time we had three high end offensive prospects needing to duke it out for a a roster spot? :towel:

Because of the development time line I see a blurring of the top 9. Not so worried if Dahlen, Goldobin, Boeser, Virtanen, Top 2 pick, play 3rd line TOI. Also not upset if any of those players spend time in Utica.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Because of the development time line I see a blurring of the top 9. Not so worried if Dahlen, Goldobin, Boeser, Virtanen, Top 2 pick, play 3rd line TOI. Also not upset if any of those players spend time in Utica.  

Me either. Doubt it's going to happen but I'd love to see something like:

Canucks:

2A- Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

2B- Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

3A- Rodin/Boucher, UFA, Boeser (sheltered ozone line)

3B- Prospect/UFA, Sutter Dorsett (matchup dzone line)

Utica:

Dahlen, Hischier?, Goldobin

Virtanen, Zhukenov, Valk

Call up top guys in Utica with injuries and after the TDL when we move UFA's and pumped and dumped Rodin/Boucher.

27 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Me either. Doubt it's going to happen but I'd love to see something like:

Canucks:

2A- Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

2B- Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

3A- Rodin/Boucher, UFA, Boeser (sheltered ozone line)

3B- Prospect/UFA, Sutter Dorsett (matchup dzone line)

Utica:

Dahlen, Hischier?, Goldobin

Virtanen, Zhukenov, Valk

Call up top guys in Utica with injuries and after the TDL when we move UFA's and pumped and dumped Rodin/Boucher.

Doesn't dahlen have an AHL out clause...

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Doesn't dahlen have an AHL out clause...

He's open to the possibility of spending 'some' time in the AHL. If he's the first W'er call up for injuries and call up at the TDL....

Edited by J.R.

Just now, J.R. said:

He's open to the possibility of spending 'some' time in the AHL. If he's the first call up for injuries and call up at the TDL....

Did he say this in the radio interview or is this one of your patented JR facts?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Did he say this in the radio interview or is this one of your patented JR facts?

For now, it seems unlikely because both the Canucks and Dahlen’s camp are prepared for him to get some seasoning in Utica this fall if he doesn’t make the NHL team, to help in his transition to North American-sized rinks.

I don't post 'facts'.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Indeed, Benning has said his vision is to have "four fast scoring lines", and Green has said he prefers to roll four lines.  There will certainly be a talent distinction in the 1-2, but there won't be a specific shutdown line composed of only defensive forwards or a bruiser line of grinders.