The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

That was as poor a game as I have seen for a while.

Even allowing for the fact we struggled to get a foothold on the game I was so disappointed by the fact we were the architects of our own downfall. I saw none of the goals down to Miller but jeez our D and back checking forwards were just not in the zone.

Part of that was imo down to just such a mismatch in size.

Every now and then a game comes along that tears a bit of a hole in my optimism and recently we have had 2 games. The Jets and the Ducks were skilled - as skilled as we were but they were also BIG AND PHYSICAL.

There is of course the usual deja vu when I write this because it's as if I have written the same thing every year for-EVER.

I only hope this was a heads up to JB for the coming draft.

W have been dreaming of team toughness for a decade.  Lots of players have come and gone in that time as well as coaching changes and it still alludes this franchise.  This team plays softer than any NHL team I have ever witnessed.

So....What are the common denominators during that time?  Edler and the twins...All play a passive, turn the cheek style of hockey and I blieve the team culture reflects the "core's" style.  

Adding a fighter to the team isn't going to build a push back culture when your key veterans allow themselves to be abused on a nightly basis. 

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

W have been dreaming of team toughness for a decade.  Lots of players have com and gone in that time as well as coaching changes and it still alludes this franchise.  This team plays softer than any NHL team I have very witnesses. 

So....What are the common denimators during that time?  Edler and the twins...All play a passive, turn the cheek style if hockey and I blieve the team culture reflects the "core's" style.  

Adding a fighter to the team isn't going to build a push back culture when your key veterans allow themselves to be abused on a nightly basis. 

This.  The toughness needs to be in the top minute players.  If a guy is tough, but can't play top minutes, he's useless.  

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

12th???????

The lowest would be 8th. If we are in 4th and we will not go higher we can only drop 3 places. Vegas would move us to 5th. We might end up in 3rd.

It was a joke. goose.... ahem 73 figured it out :)

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This.  The toughness needs to be in the top minute players.  If a guy is tough, but can't play top minutes, he's useless.  

That is exactly why JB took a chance on Virtanen and .although he hasn't matured yet for top 9 minutes, never mind top 6, he should progress over the next 2 years for this position.

Horvat and possibly Boeser are the only ones right now that even play a hard to the net and the boards game in our top 6, and they are not intimidating.

After we secure a potential top 6 center this  draft, that 6'3" 220 talented winger should be a priority.

oh wait... still need a top 2 D that can man the PP1...

so many needs , so little time!!

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

It was a joke. goose.... ahem 73 figured it out :)

Yes we all think it is a joke except for the WD factor. I could see him finding a way to win the last 5 games against teams who are all resting their players or who just don`t care because they are home and cooled as far as their playoff position goes.

Just like last year.

I won`t crack a grin until the season is over and the lotto is done with.

25 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Juolevi vanish when I wasn't looking?

Here's hoping, but he's not penciled in yet.

He's not exactly lighting it up this year so the jury's out on him outside of a top 4 role in the future or a top pairing shutdown D with some offensive upside.

31 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Here's hoping, but he's not penciled in yet.

He's not exactly lighting it up this year so the jury's out on him outside of a top 4 role in the future or a top pairing shutdown D with some offensive upside.

He has pretty much identical numbers as last year's.

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

W have been dreaming of team toughness for a decade.  Lots of players have com and gone in that time as well as coaching changes and it still alludes this franchise.  This team plays softer than any NHL team I have very witnesses. 

So....What are the common denimators during that time?  Edler and the twins...All play a passive, turn the cheek style if hockey and I blieve the team culture reflects the "core's" style.  

To be fair I don't see many opponents trying it on with Edler - he has the "Viking stare"

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

This would likely be a different discussion if Kassian hadn't worked his way out of town. The Canucks played differently in that first season he was here. Shame about that, nice to see he's doing well (even if it is in Edmonton).

regards,  G.

17 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

This would likely be a different discussion if Kassian hadn't worked his way out of town. The Canucks played differently in that first season he was here. Shame about that, nice to see he's doing well (even if it is in Edmonton).

regards,  G.

He is having an impact in Edmonton for sure. Along with guys like Maroon, Edmonton plays a physical game.

Both Toronto and Edmonton have had major culture changes which are largely responsible for their improving performance and both teams play with far more "grit" than the Nucsk.  

The Nucks have zero grit and the culture is a passive one.  It will take a change in the core and the youth to assert themselves in that manner for it to change.

34 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

To be fair I don't see many opponents trying it on with Edler - he has the "Viking stare"

True...he's big....why would you bother taking him on though when he never punishes anyone physically, allows players to stand in the crease while he screens his own goalie?  No team wants to take him out of the game with a penalty::D 

5 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Absolutely agree.

I have mentioned before that no players in the league react worse to a hockey fight.

Remember when Rick Rypien would go out and destroy some guy, guys are banging their sticks, the building is rocking and the Sedins go out there like they are in a coma. 

Why, when your D core is Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhius and Edler is Bieksa the second one gone?

If one of those 4 is still here it should be Bieksa.

Why do you go into the 2012 playoffs with 21 year old Kassian as the new tough guy?

Kassian plays pretty well in a pack situation, one shift he follows Lucic and then he is followed by Maroon. Lucic is clearly the leader of this group but Kassian and Maroon follow.

That is why I still like the Gudbranson trade, a step in the right direction.Tryamkin could learn from Guber. John Garrett was complaining because of lack of push back last night when LaBate and Chaput didn't engage Perry. Well Chappy doesn't and Labate could have but to what end? A roughing penalty, a power play goal, benched? 

Jim And Trevor chose the Sedins, Edler and Willie over Kesler, Bieksa and Torts. They are slowly replacing the core but they are doing so backwards.

26 minutes ago, lmm said:

Jim And Trevor chose the Sedins, Edler and Willie over Kesler, Bieksa and Torts. They are slowly replacing the core but they are doing so backwards.

Benning is stuck with the Sedins and Edler.

Kesler forced a trade. Benning was actually hoping he would stay.

Some of the other players that were moved were to clear some cap space. They had no choice.

Edler is a mess right now and the best thing that could happen would be for him to allow them to move him on. Benning should  make it his offseason job to turn Edler and Tanev into assets.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Absolutely agree.

I have mentioned before that no players in the league react worse to a hockey fight.

Remember when Rick Rypien would go out and destroy some guy, guys are banging their sticks, the building is rocking and the Sedins go out there like they are in a coma. 

Why, when your D core is Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhius and Edler is Bieksa the second one gone?

If one of those 4 is still here it should be Bieksa.

Why do you go into the 2012 playoffs with 21 year old Kassian as the new tough guy?

Kassian plays pretty well in a pack situation, one shift he follows Lucic and then he is followed by Maroon. Lucic is clearly the leader of this group but Kassian and Maroon follow.

That is why I still like the Gudbranson trade, a step in the right direction.Tryamkin could learn from Guber. John Garrett was complaining because of lack of push back last night when LaBate and Chaput didn't engage Perry. Well Chappy doesn't and Labate could have but to what end? A roughing penalty, a power play goal, benched? 

We can't turn back the clock unfortunately,..  

But perhaps JB is skillfully and artfully creating the style that the Bruins have had historically..

rotate a Pedan in with Gudbranson Tryamkin and Sbisa, and D toughness multiplies.

Rotate that in with a forward crew of LaBate, Virtannen, Cramarossa, Chaput, and yes, Dorsett.. and TEAM toughness multiplies again.

There's a strange brew coming together here, and with the "right Coach" , anything is possible.

• -SN- unfeatured this topic
8 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Benning is stuck with the Sedins and Edler.

Kesler forced a trade. Benning was actually hoping he would stay.

Some of the other players that were moved were to clear some cap space. They had no choice.

Edler is a mess right now and the best thing that could happen would be for him to allow them to move him on. Benning should  make it his offseason job to turn Edler and Tanev into assets.

I just love how often I get told this on this site.

Did all they could for Kassian

Hands were tied by Hamhius and Vrbata

Given one choice by Kesler

Had to trade for Vey because the cupboards were bare

Had to over-pay for Sutter, Dorsett and Sbisa

Couldn't send Virtanen or McCann down

Had to pay Eriksson 6x6 and give him a NMC

Have to keep Eriksson because he has a NMC

Can't move the Sedins or Edler or Eriksson or Hamhius or Vrbata or Higgins or Burrows or Bieksa or ...

But wait Kesler, Garrison, Bieksa and Burrows have been traded 

Archived