The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

11 hours ago, Nuckchuks said:

Hopefully, the management sees that there is a lack of toughness on this team.  They have consistently signed for skill players like Baertschi, Granlund, Erickson.....that has got us nowhere.

Gudbranson? Dorsett?

if you sign for skill, you need top level skill like McDavid, Laine, P. Kane, J Gaudreau, to move the needle. The second class skill players need toughness elsewhere on the team to create space.  Now Burrows traded for Jonathan Dahlen, Hansen for Goldobin.  There is no toughness in return.

If Benning received a grinder instead of a goal scorer in both of those trades, he would have been raked across the coals by the media.

There is a bit of skill here but it is not going to get far.  Skill needs toughness before it can be unleashed.  Just imagine you have 5 Johnny Gaudreaus on the ice, after a few crushing body hits, cross checks, hacks on the wrist, the skill is going to be diminished due to uncontrolled trembling on the part of the skill player.

Uncontrolled trembling? These players aren't Chihuahuas.

I think Peter Chiraelli has out managed Jim Benning, he brought in as mentioned, Patrick Maroon and Lucic to give McDavid the time and space and they are third in the Pacific.

Benning attempted to sign Lucic, but Lucic wanted to be close to his mancrush McDavid, whom Chiarelli was gifted by the law offices of Bettman and Daly. So there was no outmanaging there. Just sucking followed by lucking.

Brad Treliving also beat Benning, drafting Tkachuk who paid immediate dividend with toughness and scoring Calgary has 13 more wins than losses.

Treliving didn't beat Benning, he merely picked a player that Benning didn't take.

Tkachuk elbowed Dowdy, next time Dowdy is not going to go near Tkachuk, that's what toughness will do.

Who's Dowdy? Any relation to Howdy Doody? And Tkachuk's elbow to Doughty got him a two game suspension, so not really a great case for toughness. Gutlessness? Yes. Toughness? No.

I don't get Willy neither.  So many goals against us cause our goalie is screened, can Willy just tell the D to at least battle with the opposing forward so that he pays a price for standing in front of poor Miller.

You'd think, but Edler isn't built for that, or much else really.

We could prevent a goal a game just doing that. I know Gudbranson is not there but the coach should get whoever playing D to try to clear the crease, instead so many time our guy is in front of the opposing forward and double screens our goalie, great way to loose.   Willy is about being responsible at both ends but he has not used his assets to the team's advantage.  Have some plays to spring Goldobin and Baerstchi, they are wasted as a checker.  Why won't they play Padan over Biega for toughness.  Our team never finishes their checks, the opposing D has no sore muscles after a game against us.  It hasn't worked the entire season but Willy just keeps sticking with the same old same old.  I am so stressed and frustrated over the bland style of the Canucks the whole season.  The whole team is just bland and also looks like a farm team.  No wonder the results are the way they are, 7 games below 500.  Yes we need toughness, at least if we loose, I would be less frustrated than seeing our guys get run over on top of that, right now the Canucks remind me of my life, getting run over by my boss and not even a peep out of me. 

I agree that Benning will need to add some size and brutality on the forward corps, preferably players like Dwight King and Anthony Peluso in third/fourth line roles to crack a few skulls and make space for younger teammates looking to learn.

13 hours ago, Odd. said:

Other than Boeser and Horvat, we don't any bonafide, 1st line potential scoring forwards.

To early to project on Boeser, but that statement could be/ is a problem, sure 1rst line on THIS team and they will put up points BUT name 8 other teams they would be/are 1rst line players.

Remember Fox is piling up points, had a fantastic release and shot, fights, hits and can't get a sniff, oh yeah, he was bigger than most of the traded for players being over 6' tall.

This team is being constructed to be competitive in the regular season, to look good losing.

2 hours ago, billabong said:

I think it's better to have him and not need him then to need him and not have him. It would be nice to have in our back pocket, but I see what you're saying. Can he be effective for 8-10 minutes a game? Not sure 

You're preaching to the choir. I'd love Peluso on this team and have been begging for a legit heavy for years (was choked with WD ran Tostito out of town). The fact is this is Vancouver...

9 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

You're preaching to the choir. I'd love Peluso on this team and have been begging for a legit heavy for years (was choked with WD ran Tostito out of town). The fact is this is Vancouver...

I wish we had signed Matt Martin for our 4th line last summer. We need more players that finish checks instead of caressing and hugging opposing players near the boards. Tostito just wasn't cutting it, he lost nearly every fight he got into. The only guy he seemed to always lay an ass whoopin on was Jordan Nolan. 

19 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Tostito is a legit heavyweight....punching bag. Would rather have Peluso and King to provide grit and muscle on the bottom six forward corps, to complement Gudbranson and Tryamkin on the back end.

As well, I hope that Benning goes after Kane when he hits free agency at the end of next season. Having his solid set of skills (including grit and truculence) would help to strengthen the top six, and usher in a different, less passive approach to Canucks hockey.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

I wish we had signed Matt Martin for our 4th line last summer. We need more players that finish checks instead of caressing and hugging opposing players near the boards. Tostito just wasn't cutting it, he lost nearly every fight he got into. The only guy he seemed to always lay an ass whoopin on was Jordan Nolan. 

I remember Sestito giving the gears to Hanzal, who backed off like the gutless wanker he is.

15 hours ago, Zhukini said:

We were most successful with Torres, and Lappy crashing and banging on the forcheck and that probably correlates with our success.

First of all no to drafting it. It's tough to judge if we have enough when 15 and 44 were out most of the season. Most of the toughness comes through Sbisa and there's a good chance he'll be gone. So long story short, no we probably don't 

#Virtanen

No question this team does lack that physical presence, but they're in a rebuild, and this team isn't in a place to be at the top of the league yet or a threat, but once that happens they better address the issue. I'm sure they will when that time comes it's just not yet, and it will come through trades or free agent signing. I still believe Virtanen will help this issue out eventually, whether it's next year or the year after, but his physical presence will be very welcomed.

Did anyone watch the Calgary vs LA game? I only watched the highlights, pregame and post game interviews. Tkachuk was a physical presence and Calgary knew LA was gonna be coming for him. Every Calgary player they interviewed said they were ready to stand up for him and they want him to keep playing the tough game he is playing. I wish we had that excitement and legit toughness to our team. I'm not a Calgary fan but I'll watch if Tkachuk keeps  playing old school hockey. So exciting....

Edited by SliteriousBlackbeard
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Elvistein said:

I seriously think that it starts when the Sedins and Edler are gone.  Our leadership is soft...  Travis Green needs to take the tape of the Flames vs Kings game tonight and show Virtanen how Tkachuk has played...  IF we can get Virtanen, Tryamkin and Gudransen playing with grit and push back every game... and we have a stud captain in Horvat...  that leads with grit and determination....  then things will get better in a hurray for our team!  

Virtanen played like Tkachuk when he came to the NHL but had that coached out of him within a couple months.  Instead of letting him be an impactful - though a little on the edge - young player, making an impact - he was immediately called on to tone it down and become a more responsible 200' player...you know...like Chaput and Megna who play the way they are supposed to.

Tkachuk is walking a fine line but he was arguably the most impactful player on the ice last night and showed more grit and tenacity in that one game than our entire team has all year.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Tostito is a legit heavyweight....punching bag. Would rather have Peluso and King to provide grit and muscle on the bottom six forward corps, to complement Gudbranson and Tryamkin on the back end.

As well, I hope that Benning goes after Kane when he hits free agency at the end of next season. Having his solid set of skills (including grit and truculence) would help to strengthen the top six, and usher in a different, less passive approach to Canucks hockey.

Peluso would be aweEeeeeeeeeesoooooooommmmmme.

him and Gud on the ice at the same time.  Man.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

we could just stay the course and live off our pp.:bigblush:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Too bad Pedan not good enough to play on the 3rd pairing, they don't come much tougher than him 

I don't see why we couldn't play Pedan on the fourth line, like we did a bit last season.  He's a big body, tough, and a really good skater (in a straight line).  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed, we have the softest top 6 in the NHL, getting Kane would go a long way in rectifying this problem. We haven't had a legit gritty top 6 winger since Todd Bertuzzi.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Virtanen played like Tkachuk when he came to the NHL but had that coached out of him within a couple months.  Instead of letting him be an impactful - though a little on the edge - young player, making an impact - he was immediately called on to tone it down and become a more responsible 200' player...you know...like Chaput and Megna who play the way they are supposed to.

Tkachuk is walking a fine line but he was arguably the most impactful player on the ice last night and showed more grit and tenacity in that one game than our entire team has all year.

Apparently Burkey and Gully have no problem with Tkachuk's playing style  either. They just let him loose, the whole team followed his lead and lost the game last night. :P  Still, watching Doughty cringe whenever Tkachuk skated toward him was priceless.

Tkachuk would have been fully domesticated by our League of Extraordinary Gentlemen management and the leadership group, had we drafted him. Just look at what they did to JV18 and his game.

Instead of scoring goals and lacking up penalty minutes, Tkachuk would have been just skating 200ft back and forth waving his stick with Chaput and Biega.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Apparently Burkey and Gully have no problem with Tkachuk's playing style  either. They just let him loose, the whole team followed his lead and lost the game last night. :P  Still, watching Doughty cringe whenever Tkachuk skated toward him was priceless.

Tkachuk would have been fully domesticated by our League of Extraordinary Gentlemen management and the leadership group, had we drafted him. Just look at what they did to JV18 and his game.

Instead of scoring goals and lacking up penalty minutes, Tkachuk would have been just skating 200ft back and forth waving his stick with Chaput and Biega.

Hopefully remedy An new players will be picked up on forward group that exude these traits to supplement bottom 6 

Willie needs to be gone also , he is a pacifist. If he had the skilled horses maybe he would do alright . I am not giving him benefit of of doubt .Miller brought in most of the points in the last three years by stealing them .

Now I really wonder if we can get the grit on forward line with some scoring savvy.

great observations 1-D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Peluso would be aweEeeeeeeeeesoooooooommmmmme.

him and Gud on the ice at the same time.  Man.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

we could just stay the course and live off our pp.:bigblush:

The PP is a killer, or a laxative, or a sleeping disorder solution. At least when the Sedins and Edler are involved. Yawn.