The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden & Benning on TSN 1040 - April 10

CanadianRugby

7 hours ago, Zedlee said:

After the presser, I'm left wondering what ownership is thinking.  They cannot be happy with 2 consecutive lousy seasons and must be wondering if Linden & Benning are the management team to rebuild the Canucks.  Personally, I would like to hear more from Acquilini...to assure us that they are on the same page as managment.    

Well Francesco tweeted shortly after last game about the fans being patient going forward , I take that as being patient during a 'rebuild' ;)

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, was it Tomlinson who said that they like to keep one assistant to help the new coaching staff transition to the new team rather than clean house altogether in which case none of the new staff would know the players etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Lidster and Pearn were Willie's guys while Jarvis was Bennings (who he knew from Boston)

You got it correct , and yes I  believe Jarvis was/is Bennings  guy but it was also said that it was up to the new coach if he wants to keep him on . I would think if Benning kept him on now he would likely 'encourage ' the new coach to keep him.

having a senior guy around for a rookie coach is a smart move, apparently the plan was to have Quinn around when Linden was first hired to mentor him but unfortunately his illness prevented that from happening. Rip.

1 minute ago, nucksnavsfan said:

You got it correct , and yes I  believe Jarvis was/is Bennings  guy but it was also said that it was up to the new coach if he wants to keep him on . I would think if Benning kept him on now he would likely 'encourage ' the new coach to keep him.

having a senior guy around for a rookie coach is a smart move, apparently the plan was to have Quinn around when Linden was first hired to mentor him but unfortunately his illness prevented that from happening. Rip.

I think Quinn and Linden had a few discussions about the job but unfortunately Quinns health limited what he could do.  

28 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

man...  maybe Ferraro could fit somehow... he certainly is interested.  no idea how though...

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/ferraro-no-front-office-coach-cohesion-zero-clarity-with-young-guys-1.721008

I would really love it if Ferraro joined Canucks management in some capacity, and eventually became GM after he gained some experience.

He watches a ton of hockey all around the league, definitely knows what he's talking about. Best in the business when it comes to analysts in the NHL. He's been calling out this rebuild for the mess that it is since day 1.

Being a BC boy and living here now after retirement, it's clear that he is a Canucks fan even though he's supposed to be impartial.

19 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I would really love it if Ferraro joined Canucks management in some capacity, and eventually became GM after he gained some experience.

He watches a ton of hockey all around the league, definitely knows what he's talking about. Best in the business when it comes to analysts in the NHL. He's been calling out this rebuild for the mess that it is since day 1.

Being a BC boy and living here now after retirement, it's clear that he is a Canucks fan even though he's supposed to be impartial.

Ferraro > Linden + Benning

17 hours ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Ahhhh, I see, your a Leafs fan. You're a member of the, you either win it all or you blatantly tank for Matthews brigade.

Yes, if your team stinks you tank for top picks.  It's how teams win the Stanley Cup in the cap era.  It's what Vancouver did (though ineptitude) for the last 2 years and what will probably continue to happen for at least a couple more.  If you can't accept those facts, watch a different sport.

In the first two years of Benning's time as GM what was the majority age-group, was it maybe over 26? :rolleyes: . What prospects did we have? Horvat and? Um, Jensen???

Yah the fanbase would have loved to hear that from day one they where going to enact a scorched earth policy and vets be damned. Never mind that half the team had full NTC's, but why let facts get in the way. Of course they where going to try and win, what other option did they have? I guess they could have signed no one, been meh and drafted 15'the for 2 years, sure let's go with that.

You're making my point for me.  There were no prospects and the team was on a rapid decline.  They could have rebuilt or tried to rebuild on the fly.  We've seen how option B has gone so far.

Also..  Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Garrison & Kesler all had a NTC or NMC and all were traded.  Hamhuis waived his too. 

Even if they had traded Hamhuis ( we all know that saga ) and lost the last 3 games last year we may still have ended up picking 4'the, possibly still chosing a player who would play this year in juniors even if it wasn't OJ.

So it was a swing and a miss with Vey, but who knew his dad was going to jail, maybe we don't sign vrbatta, I mean, we still probably make the playoffs that first-year, I guess we go with Bonino and his fancy stats instead of Sutter? Maybe we keep " it is what it is McCant?" . Seeing as the only Benning draft pick not still developing is groo, I mean Tryamkin ( and even he has lots of room to sprout, I mean grow ) I don't think we missed the next Datsyuk or Zetterburg with one of those traded away picks and even with that said, there are a number of possible late round steals currently ino the NCAA. Never mind picks like Breisbois(sp?) who seem like potential NHL players. If in 2 years one of the draft picks Benning traded away turns into the next Jamie Benn I still won't be crying as you just never know for certain what a player will ammount to.

So any changing of tune in my mind was a pandering of the slow witted fan who needs to hear the words re-build like that makes everything better, as if somehow not calling it a " re-build " doomes the team to failure, the very thing they technically want, a team build to lose, hmmmm, how about that.

They still haven't said "rebuild" but they have said at the last trade deadline that this team tried to win with the Sedins and failed and is now taking a new direction.  So I don't know what the hell you're talking about unless you're one of those slow witted fans you were talking about.  Linden and Benning both say it's a new direction, but I guess you know something they don't know.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it would be great if Ferraro did the colour on our radio game broadcasts.  

It would be great but he's the #1 analyst and color guy on a national network. Doing color for local radio would be like taking 3 steps backwards in his career.

5 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yes, if your team stinks you tank for top picks.  It's how teams win the Stanley Cup in the cap era.  It's what Vancouver did (though ineptitude) for the last 2 years and what will probably continue to happen for at least a couple more.  If you can't accept those facts, watch a different sport.

Based on that i expect to see nothing less than 14 ( 15? ) teams all try to out Toronto, er, Tank each other next year.

Truth is owners, management groups, coaches, players, towel boys, they all want to win. Coaches and players don't throw games. Maybe a gm lets his team stand pat and play a season out, brings in rookies to start taking over from an aging old guard and makes the odd shrewd move along the way ( Sound like someone we know? ) and some may even ice the worst team they can, but they have to be in that position to begin with.

The Canucks only really bottomed out organically last year and had the percentages been ever so slightly tipped in their favor we may have just had Laine score 40 alongside the reinvigorated Sedin's on route to a first round match up. Who knows. As things stand I trust Benning more than I doubt him. Can you say much more of any teams GM?, save for say Chicago who keeps pulling rabbits out of their asses.

As far as past cup winners go . . .

Chicago was bad, they had less going for them than the current Canucks when they bottomed out, they did so in prime years and got really lucky on a few picks ( AKA : Keith in the second round, no one really expected more than a Hutton type guy from him ) and only after getting lucky with a couple stud draft years did the real work of keeping that team together start.

Pittsburg was downright bad the year before choosing Fleury and Malkin. They got gifted Crosby whom without I don't think they win a cup. When you get handed one of the top 3 players of the past 15 years, you run with it screaming like a school girl in love all the way to a cup win. Even so, with 3 top 3 picks, they have won the cup, 2 times in 12 years. That's still fantastic, but its no 80's Oilers.

LA Kings where a mixture of everything, FA signings, picking high a couple of seasons, trades, unexpected surprises ( Prospect wide ) , a coach and leadership team who willed them to win on sheer adrenaline. No one thing did it for them.

Now, for the Oilers. It took them 10 years of perpetual ineptitude to finally have a generational talent and a few decent moves by a half decent GM ( credit where credit is due ) into a playoff spot. For probably 5+ years we have heard "This is their year" only to draft first overall again. The NHL changed the draft because of them! If they had cleaned house 5 years ago I doubt they get the chance to pick Draisaitl or Mcjesus.

Toronto obviously tanked, we get it. They wanted, Hell! "Needed" Matthews. They have been bad for so long it became their thing. Canucks fan's can't handle the mini slump the franchise is currently going through, image if we missed the playoffs for the next 7 strait years?? I mean be bad for long enough and eventually you get it right.

So we have 2 teams bad at just the right times, 1 team that managed to put it all together from multiple sources, the Oilers played the 10 year long game for McDavid as they obviously scouted him in pewee and knew he would be their savior ( and may I add have yet to even win 1 playoff game as of this post ) and Toronto still has a week D-corp, their goalies are, meh at best and not a single one of their stats other that goals scored is rather impressive. They have already started trading away picks for plumbers, so go rebuild, guess they finished the moment they drafted Matthews. How much better do you think they will get drafting 16-20 for the next few years? What if one of Marner, Matthews, Nyland get injured come the playoffs, what if one of them walks once they hit UFA status? I guess Toronto can just suck for another 35 years, their will be another Gretzky by then right?

I don't see what was so wrong with giving the Sedins + other long term Canucks another chance at a cup run. 75% of this forum thought the Torts year was just that, a single off year, and then in comes Benning. He sees that there is no one other than Horvat and probably was asked by ownership to try and give the Sedins one or two more chances before the tear down begins completely. So yes he tried to retool, but he also started drafting for the future, he tried to add players who could play here during the transition period from attempting to make the playoffs to outright bottoming out. Its why I say nothing has changed.

Linden and Benning may have stated that the priorities have changed, but this was always the plan. its quite simple actually.

Step 1: Give the Sedin's another 1 or 2 chances, all the while draft well, rebuild organizational depth through trades, and college/junior/Europe signings and develope aforementioned players well. Did they mess up with rushing Virtanen and McCann? maybe, but they where also being true to their world and giving players chances to make the team and at least McCann did that, maybe he should have been returned to juniors around game 40, but lets see what Guddy can be when healthy to start the year. If he can be the player he has the potential to be, I doubt we ever discuss McCann's rookie season again.

Step 2: When the Sedin's inevitable decline from first line players hits hard, move to a more traditional tear down ( this trade deadline ) , hope you get a chance to pick high so as to continue restocking all positions so that going forward the team can follow more of a Chicago build of finding a couple key players and swapping all ancillary pieces in and out as needed.

Step 3: Win the cup. As I think that's the end goal of any NHL Franchise is it not? Now lots has to happen between step 2 and 3, but why are we still crying over milk that spilled 2-3 years ago? Its gone, even a CSI team wouldn't be able to find any trace of it. Let it go, focus on the now and the future.

6 hours ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Based on that i expect to see nothing less than 14 ( 15? ) teams all try to out Toronto, er, Tank each other next year.

So you're saying a team like Winnipeg is the same as Colorado or Vancouver?  OK then.

The Canucks only really bottomed out organically last year and had the percentages been ever so slightly tipped in their favor we may have just had Laine score 40 alongside the reinvigorated Sedin's on route to a first round match up. Who knows. As things stand I trust Benning more than I doubt him. Can you say much more of any teams GM?, save for say Chicago who keeps pulling rabbits out of their asses.

Maybe if Vancouver actually tanked instead of try and go for it they would have McDavid or Matthews.  They didn't, so they don't.  That's cool that you trust Benning but until he actually accomplishes something in Vancouver it's an absolute joke to say he's better than any of the 27 GM's that finished ahead of him 2 years in a row.

As far as past cup winners go . . .

Chicago was bad, they had less going for them than the current Canucks when they bottomed out, they did so in prime years and got really lucky on a few picks ( AKA : Keith in the second round, no one really expected more than a Hutton type guy from him ) and only after getting lucky with a couple stud draft years did the real work of keeping that team together start.

When you pick 1st & 2nd overall it's not luck when you get Toews & Kane.  Also, they did get lucky on some of their 2nd rounders but that's because they had 3 or 4 2nd rounders on several occasions.  Vancouver has had how many 2nd round picks under Benning?  I think it's 1 in 3 years.  Taking the opposite rout of what Chicago & Toronto did.

Pittsburg was downright bad the year before choosing Fleury and Malkin. They got gifted Crosby whom without I don't think they win a cup. When you get handed one of the top 3 players of the past 15 years, you run with it screaming like a school girl in love all the way to a cup win. Even so, with 3 top 3 picks, they have won the cup, 2 times in 12 years. That's still fantastic, but its no 80's Oilers.

Yeah no kidding, drafting generational talent 1st overall wins you cups.  It's what Vancouver should have been trying to do for the last 3 years not for the last half season.

The rest of your post is nonsense where you keep the situation Vancouver is in was part of some big plan.  According to Linden & Benning, it wasn't.  The last plan failed, and unless things improve soon Benning will be joining Willie.

14 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

So has Gallagher... make him the President then...

Archived