The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden & Benning on TSN 1040 - April 10

CanadianRugby

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I am so done with Edler. His disinterested play, continuous big mistakes, zero pushback and emotion.

Loved seeing Hutton drop the gloves last night, and you can bet it was because Horvat dropped them game before. I love these new guys. They're wide-eyed, engaged and competitive, and I'm sure they have a lot of fun out there.

Edler just looks miserable, and at his age now, he's not going to get better.

I was done with Edler in 2014.

Guy had a great career  / over achieved  for a third round draft choice.  

But has become UBER inconsistent and  brings zero physicality.   

Really hope he is moved this summer.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

They said this so not to make Willie the scapegoat. They're nice guys who accept responsibility. Why they weren't fired is probably because they don't really deserve to be.

TL and JB have done a great job so far, despite what Tiger Williams (and the many negative people here) may think.

I agree aside from them thinking this was a playoff team last year when it clearly wasn't.

I liked willie as a person and definitely believe he's a good coach who still has a future in the nhl but I think he just wasn't the right fit in the end. Willie is a systems  coach and stays loyal to the players who buy into his system. In my opinion his style of play doesn't leave much room for creativity which I think is  necessary with a young team. Ironically, he may be more suited to coach a veteran team with players who are already seasoned with systems. The Canucks need a coach who can adapt his coaching style to the players he has and not the players to his. Who that coach is .... I'm not sure.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'm not even mad about how they handled the situation. Understood the reasons at the time. And once Stech was here on his second stint, they gave him plenty of opportunity and he earned the spot and never looked back.

I just don't get why they try sell it as something else.

The truth was fine. Why mess with it?

Heh, made room for him in the sense that they gave him the spot Larsen was penciled in a initially?  With Gudbranson out for so long, Benning never had to make physical room for him.

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Really? Seriously? 

That's the politically correct answer - translated answer is Willie is the worst excuse for a coach we have ever had 

if 90% of your active roster makes huge strides forward in there play and your team still sucks then maybe you didn't start with all that good of a roster to begin with.  Every player outside of the twins erickson and edler made huge strides forward this year yet we still end up with 69 points

4 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

if 90% of your active roster makes huge strides forward in there play and your team still sucks then maybe you didn't start with all that good of a roster to begin with.  Every player outside of the twins erickson and edler made huge strides forward this year yet we still end up with 69 points

90% ? 

Funny

he is gone , get over it 

6 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

"We sit up here every bit as responsible as Willie." How come only he was fired then? Scapegoat...

Because "there are some area's that can be improved on".  I'm quoting the OP 

I know it sounds facetious but it's clear to me that they have their reasons but they don't want to say what they are.

There's a lot to like about what Willie has done because there are some nice players developing well under him.  Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Tryamkin, Hutton.....even Sbisa seems to be stabilizing.  

Conspicuous in his absence in this group is Markstrom.  Granted, he has had some injury and illness issues but wasn't he supposed to be developed to the point where he would be the starting goaltender next season?

Additionally, Benning kind of yanked the rug out from under Willie by trading Burrows and Hansen.  This forced him to play some young players more but he still continued to play veteran plugs.  Shore, Megna, Chaput, Biega as a forward.    

I think the reasons for this is why they had to let Willie go.  He wants to win above all.  This overrides goals to develop players.  He came close to a fit early on when stated goals were to remain competitive because it was felt that meaningful games led to better player development.  It does, but it also makes the line up harder to crack.  Over time, as the rebuild progressed and young players began to out number the veterans, a tipping point was reached.  Since Willie wasn't adjusting his coaching to suit the teams needs, he needed to go.  

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

So Benning's answer was "no" and Linden's answer was "yes". And obviously Linden is the one telling the truth. 

Benning has a reputation for being a "straight shooter" but I think he much too prone to just saying the usual bull**** instead of trying to give an intelligent answer. It is like he thinks fans are not very bright. Linden at least sounds like he is talking intelligently to fans.

More bull*** from Benning. As I said above, it is like he thinks listeners are not very bright. I continue to believe that Benning is not that bright. I agree he knows a lot about hockey and he may be a good judge of talent. But I continue to believe that he is weak on things that require broader intellectual skills like cap management, asset management, dealing with contracts, etc. And there are many occasions where he just says things that are not logical (like Sbisa being good because he does not have many giveaways -- as it true of all guys who don't carry the puck much). (Or like Sutter being a "foundational" player. If his 34 pts in 81 games, despite large amounts of PP time, and -20 in +/- is your "foundation" you can't build much on top.)

I don't think Benning and Linden are exactly on the same page, either. To me, Benning has always sounded like the guy who is impatient whereas Linden has always leaned toward to more sensible rebuild strategy.

Yes, Willie was the scapegoat even though I think Benning is more responsible that Willie this year's poor performance. No legitimate first line, no legitimate top defensive pairing, and a bottom six that was closer being AHL players than NHL players on most nights. The team would have looked a lot better with Nylander and Tkachuk in the lineup instead of paying so much bring in Eriksson.

I would rather have Linden as GM than Benning. I think Linden is taking more control as time goes on and that is one reason why we are getting the message "no more quick fixes" after watching the Benning quick fixed crash and burn.

Did you see Benning at the presser?  He looked like he hadn't slept in days.   

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

If they drop to #5 and Mittelstadt,Vallardi and Patrick and Hischier are off the board expect Lilegren as the pick.

They want an offensive player bad. Either a center or d. But not a winger for sure.

That's what I took out of this. Couple players expected to be NHL ready that Benning mentions is likely the big 3 of Hischier,Patrick, and Vallardi because of his size and hockey IQ.

Nothing newsworthy here. Pretty obvious they have a gaping hole behind Horvat as the future 2C/ 1B Center to support him offensively and get the Canucks wingers Dahlen,Boeser, Goldobin, Baertschi,Granlund the puck.

Also Stecher and Hutton both had good rookie years but neither has a good shot to be that Offensive puck moving d man and qb the pp.

Another note is Benning says an offensive d man is a need to get the forwards going yet ignores Subban and Juolevi obviously he doesn't think they have 40 points a year upside in the NHL consistently.

None of the Canuck brass think that Subban is ready.  Neither does Green.  Benning said that when they need players to call up, they ask Green who should be called.  Subban is never quite there.  He did get the call for a few days once but never played.

4 hours ago, R35Godz1lla said:

I agree, letting everyone but the PP / PK coach go is an odd one, but I guess we will have to wait and see how the team does in those regards next year before we Riot ( Too soon? :ph34r: )

Propping up the Sedin's as long as they are not being penciled in as the first line is not a bad thing, I don't think any of us would be sad if Henrik and Daniel each got say 20/25 goals and 30/35 assists in a line 1.B or 2.A type situation. I don't think Benning or Linden see the Sedins as the core moving forward, rather two players who have given their entire carreers to the Canucks and as such deserve a small amount of loyalty and curtsy.

Let's hope Linden and Benning have the courtesy to give the sedins a proper curtsy

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Meanwhile on SNet, saw that Spector-a**hole is comparing our current scenario to Edm's decade-drought in the desert.

Media scumbags will be getting their licks in.

With Spector being a diehard Oiler fan, he's been waiting for years for a chance to needle the Canucks. Let him have his moment, when we win the cup in a few years we can rub it in his face.

Just now, Sweathog said:

With Spector being a diehard Oiler fan, he's been waiting for years for a chance to needle the Canucks. Let him have his moment, when we win the cup in a few years we can rub it in his face.

It's shameless, the level of them trolling, gloating fools. Media's evolved into a f***ing disease.

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Meanwhile on SNet, saw that Spector-a**hole is comparing our current scenario to Edm's decade-drought in the desert.

Media scumbags will be getting their licks in.

Saw the headline, decided not to click on the full article after seeing its from Spector lol 

Archived