The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden & Benning on TSN 1040 - April 10

CanadianRugby

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like this is even remotely true. Players and their agents only really care primarily about their own situation. It would not cause a mass outcry by anyone.

So you would happily enter into a business or employment partnership with someone whom you knew ahead of time, aggressively pushed out anyone who no longer fit the company model %100 before their "contract" was up?

Because as much as Edler may be a Frustration at times, I feel as though he has always been asked to be the #1 go to D-Man, when in fact he is the #1 guy on most teams second pair. The fault lies less with Edler and more with the teams lack of a high end D-Man. Same as I feel Tanev is a compliment of a quality first pair.

So yes getting assets for both Edler and Tanev ( at the appropriate times ) would be fantastic, with that said, I wouldn't bet good money on when or if it will happen.

Just now, R35Godz1lla said:

So you would happily enter into a business or employment partnership with someone whom you knew ahead of time, aggressively pushed out anyone who no longer fit the company model %100 before their "contract" was up?

Because as much as Edler may be a Frustration at times, I feel as though he has always been asked to be the #1 go to D-Man, when in fact he is the #1 guy on most teams second pair. The fault lies less with Edler and more with the teams lack of a high end D-Man. Same as I feel Tanev is a compliment of a quality first pair.

So yes getting assets for both Edler and Tanev ( at the appropriate times ) would be fantastic I wouldn't bet good money on when or if it will happen.

So how do you explain that this exact practice never hurt the Rangers in signing anyone when they sent Redden to the minors. Business as usual after that. And they did it multiple times to different players iirc. 

The fact is players know it is a risk of the game. They only look at the best opportunity for themselves. In many cases those kinds of harsh player stances actually create opportunity for other players so the don't lose any sleep over it. Sure when it happens to them it will bug them but it happening to someone else does not instantly demolish the ability of the team to sign players. 

1 hour ago, xereau said:

I really want to hear some candid talk on our D.  We have some amazing forward prospects.  But our D cupboard is like a can of corn or two away from being completely empty.

How do they plan to address the regressive tendencies of Edler and Sbisa?  Who are they going to protect on D?  If the Canucks do not get #1 or #2, will they trade down and take another D?

Defense is the least of their concerns

I feel like what would be best for the Canucks (even though I don't think management would be thrilled by it) is if Ryan Miller willingly chose to sign with another NHL team. I wouldn't count Vegas or LA out as possible destinations for Miller to land. Being in LA would mean the end to Miller's time as an NHL starter but it would mean Miller is back at home with his wife. Vegas may be a destination because they could arguably afford to pay Miller a little more than the Canucks (should).

Either way, as much as I like Miller, I feel like they need to walk away from him. Hell, Demko may deserve a legit chance at making the team. Hell, look at Matt Murray's rise to the NHL... as well as Tristian Jarry's (who is looking like he'll be the backup in Pittsburgh next season). They're barely 23 and both killing it. Demko's got Murray level potential. Though, I'd only make this move if Demko is ready... which I think he is. (Also, if Demko isn't ready, he's waiver eligible so he could be sent down to Utica and Bachman could come up as Markstrom's back up...)

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So how do you explain that this exact practice never hurt the Rangers in signing anyone when they sent Redden to the minors. Business as usual after that. And they did it multiple times to different players iirc. 

The fact is players know it is a risk of the game. They only look at the best opportunity for themselves. In many cases those kinds of harsh player stances actually create opportunity for other players so the don't lose any sleep over it. Sure when it happens to them it will bug them but it happening to someone else does not instantly demolish the ability of the team to sign players. 

That is a completely fair point, I guess I tend to forget moment like that. As much as I try to follow the entirety of the NHL to a degree, there is only so much time in a day.

I suppose my stance is that I see Edler as a player who could still be very productive as a #3 guy, I don't think he wants to leave ( oddly enough given that I don't see playoffs until the year following the one upcoming ) and I would hope that loyalty could be turned into a 1 year at a time contract in the 2-3 Mill range after his current contract is up. If he wants to chase the money so be it, but not every player needs the be traded away for future assets, sometimes loyalty to players is a valuable asset in its own right. As, as much as players may not really care what happened to previous member of an organization, how a team treats its players is to a degree taken into consideration when the sign.

1 minute ago, R35Godz1lla said:

That is a completely fair point, I guess I tend to forget moment like that. As much as I try to follow the entirety of the NHL to a degree, there is only so much time in a day.

I suppose my stance is that I see Edler as a player who could still be very productive as a #3 guy, I don't think he wants to leave ( oddly enough given that I don't see playoffs until the year following the one upcoming ) and I would hope that loyalty could be turned into a 1 year at a time contract in the 2-3 Mill range after his current contract is up. If he wants to chase the money so be it, but not every player needs the be traded away for future assets, sometimes loyalty to players is a valuable asset in its own right. As, as much as players may not really care what happened to previous member of an organization, how a team treats its players is to a degree taken into consideration when the sign.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that the problem with Edler is how management/coaches see him and deploy him. He is a good player when not expected to be the go to guy. As a second pairing guy with a partner who can be either that offensive catalyst (Ehrhoff) or stabilizing overall presence (Salo), Edler shows pretty well.

I don't see him as a good option on the PP at all though I do understand we really don't have many better options yet. I would have liked to see Tryamkin there for the last ten games or so just to see if that can be something he can develop into. 

I dont think 25 minute all situation pseudo #1 expectations do Edler any favors. 

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/linden-it-s-hard-when-you-re-29th-encouraged-by-where-canucks-are-1.720814

Was there a philosophical divide between you and Willie going down the stretch?

• No.  As a manager you always evaluate people, had good communication. - Benning
  • At end of day you don't always agree but that's normal for President/GM/Coach. - Linden

So Benning's answer was "no" and Linden's answer was "yes". And obviously Linden is the one telling the truth. 

Benning has a reputation for being a "straight shooter" but I think he much too prone to just saying the usual bull**** instead of trying to give an intelligent answer. It is like he thinks fans are not very bright. Linden at least sounds like he is talking intelligently to fans.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

WTF was JB talking about when he said Stecher earned a spot out of training camp and they made room for him?

Somehow I remember Stecher being assigned to Utica before the Canucks opened the season. And then recalled due to injuries. And then Stecher getting reassigned (so they could keep Biega and Larsen), when they had 9 Ds. And then recalled when Tanev went on IR.

How is that earning a spot out of camp?

How is that making room?

Seems like JB's memory is a little selective here.

More bull*** from Benning. As I said above, it is like he thinks listeners are not very bright. I continue to believe that Benning is not that bright. I agree he knows a lot about hockey and he may be a good judge of talent. But I continue to believe that he is weak on things that require broader intellectual skills like cap management, asset management, dealing with contracts, etc. And there are many occasions where he just says things that are not logical (like Sbisa being good because he does not have many giveaways -- as it true of all guys who don't carry the puck much). (Or like Sutter being a "foundational" player. If his 34 pts in 81 games, despite large amounts of PP time, and -20 in +/- is your "foundation" you can't build much on top.)

I don't think Benning and Linden are exactly on the same page, either. To me, Benning has always sounded like the guy who is impatient whereas Linden has always leaned toward to more sensible rebuild strategy.

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

"We sit up here every bit as responsible as Willie." How come only he was fired then? Scapegoat...

Yes, Willie was the scapegoat even though I think Benning is more responsible that Willie this year's poor performance. No legitimate first line, no legitimate top defensive pairing, and a bottom six that was closer being AHL players than NHL players on most nights. The team would have looked a lot better with Nylander and Tkachuk in the lineup instead of paying so much bring in Eriksson.

I would rather have Linden as GM than Benning. I think Linden is taking more control as time goes on and that is one reason why we are getting the message "no more quick fixes" after watching the Benning quick fixed crash and burn.

If they drop to #5 and Mittelstadt,Vallardi and Patrick and Hischier are off the board expect Lilegren as the pick.

They want an offensive player bad. Either a center or d. But not a winger for sure.

That's what I took out of this. Couple players expected to be NHL ready that Benning mentions is likely the big 3 of Hischier,Patrick, and Vallardi because of his size and hockey IQ.

Nothing newsworthy here. Pretty obvious they have a gaping hole behind Horvat as the future 2C/ 1B Center to support him offensively and get the Canucks wingers Dahlen,Boeser, Goldobin, Baertschi,Granlund the puck.

Also Stecher and Hutton both had good rookie years but neither has a good shot to be that Offensive puck moving d man and qb the pp.

Another note is Benning says an offensive d man is a need to get the forwards going yet ignores Subban and Juolevi obviously he doesn't think they have 40 points a year upside in the NHL consistently.

Wow, so much WTF in that interview. I'm kinda at a loss, don't really know where to start.

Most mind blowing - How in the sweet baby cheeses did Jarvis manage to keep his job? Real good at assistance, like he makes a good coffee, not to mention killer grilled cheese sammies? 

Did JB and TL not witness our special teams this season? Wow

23 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

If Doug Jarvis is in charge of special teams, why are we keeping him? Our PP was 29th in the league and our PK was 28th. Willie's deployment obviously plays a role in that but it's something I just don't understand. 

For the stealth tank 2018 draft.

So Benning's answer was "no" and Linden's answer was "yes". And obviously Linden is the one telling the truth. 

Benning has a reputation for being a "straight shooter" but I think he much too prone to just saying the usual bull**** instead of trying to give an intelligent answer. It is like he thinks fans are not very bright. Linden at least sounds like he is talking intelligently to fans.

Both Benning and Linden's answer's where yes and no. There is no black and white in the discussions of how different "Individuals" see a situation. A "Philosophical Divide" would be a situation where Willie was in complete disagreement with what Benning and Linden wanted to see played out, not a simple matter of not wanting to give Rookies 20 minutes a night, Etc.

I suggest you stop looking for villainy, discord and subversion where there is none, makes life a nicer place.

More bull*** from Benning. As I said above, it is like he thinks listeners are not very bright. I continue to believe that Benning is not that bright. I agree he knows a lot about hockey and he may be a good judge of talent. But I continue to believe that he is weak on things that require broader intellectual skills like cap management, asset management, dealing with contracts, etc. And there are many occasions where he just says things that are not logical (like Sbisa being good because he does not have many giveaways -- as it true of all guys who don't carry the puck much). (Or like Sutter being a "foundational" player. If his 34 pts in 81 games, despite large amounts of PP time, and -20 in +/- is your "foundation" you can't build much on top.)

You seem really incessant on nit picking apart everything Benning has to say. Just because he views Sutter as a player you can build a team around ( you can build out from any point, first line, second line, Third line ) does not mean he wants a team full of Sutter's, or players with Sutter like production at his exact price point, I think its safe to assume that would be a rather foolish notion. I also don't think he was ever trying to say that Sbisa is the next Doughty, rather that he has potential and that he has areas of his game, that he can build on and that we need to let him do that, something he has to a degree done quite well this year, Sbisa that is.

Yes he may say the odd thing that makes one go " That's not exactly right ( Key word here is " Exactly " ) , but have you never said something that you latter thought " Hmm maybe I should have phrased or explained that a little bit better " , I know I have.

17 hours ago, JamesB said:

Yes, Willie was the scapegoat even though I think Benning is more responsible that Willie this year's poor performance. No legitimate first line, no legitimate top defensive pairing, and a bottom six that was closer being AHL players than NHL players on most nights. The team would have looked a lot better with Nylander and Tkachuk in the lineup instead of paying so much bring in Eriksson.

I would rather have Linden as GM than Benning. I think Linden is taking more control as time goes on and that is one reason why we are getting the message "no more quick fixes" after watching the Benning quick fixed crash and burn.

Willie had run his course, was he in a sense this years sacrificial lamb?, you can bet your butt he was. With that said I don't think anyone would have said going into this year, that the Sedin's would have 10 different wingers, or that players would be as injured, as sick or as unlucky as they have been. Sometimes that lack of good fortune simply runs uphill to the coach.

All we are seeing / hearing from Linden is a more confidence to do his job, or he is starting to care what people think less. I feel he is attempting to deflect some of the pressure put on Benning by this fan base to hit a home run on every single God Damn move he makes.

Also, please due tell me about all these crashes and burns?, you mean like trading for Sven and Granlund? Maybe you mean drafting Boeser and Tryamkin, or trying to insulate players like Horvat, Hutton and Stetcher with players like Sutter, Gudbrandson and Errikson?

All the other players drafted by Benning are still year 1 and 2 prospects. Canucks fans whine and moan like cats in heat about how this team never develops its prospects properly and what do you know, the moment they try and give players the time they need to reach their true potential its " Why is player X, Y and Z not in the NHL winning Scoring titles and leading us to the Cup yep omgzbbqwetmybed1111! .

Yes we missed out on Matthews and Lain, Etc. but so did allot of other teams, 29 to be exact . . .  ( er, 28 I guess as both Toronto and the Peg got their guy )

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So there is still the delusion from management about trying to prop up the Sedins as go to guys next year with more support. Sad. 

We also kept our PP coach apparently. How the &^@# did he keep his job of all of them?

i agree

i find that to be extremely curious myself

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

I can't believe that's a hard decision . Eddy's a liability, he seems completely uninterested some games . Tanev never seems to me to take a game off,and rarely gets beat.Tanevs offensive inabilities totally overcomes Eddys unrelenting blunders . And truly, really how much does he provide offensively that others in the near future will be able to provide.

yeah it all comes down to who is more valuable for us in the long run ala mentoring the young guns 

and i agree with eddie being a liability also doesn't hit anymore and shoots right into the shins of other teams players lol 

how much is eddie worth on the market ???

The way i see the team as of right now is that yes we have some solid pieces to move forward with but we need that elite skill that pushes us to win those 1 or 2 goal games.

In my eyes we have the goaltending with markstrom and demko, majority of the defence (adding another #1 or #2), forwards wise we just need about 2 ELITE skilled guys i like the make up of the rest of the forwards.

1 minute ago, cookieeater55 said:

yeah it all comes down to who is more valuable for us in the long run ala mentoring the young guns 

and i agree with eddie being a liability also doesn't hit anymore and shoots right into the shins of other teams players lol 

how much is eddie worth on the market ???

Depends on who and where.I think there are teams that would covet Eddy as a 3rd or 4th, believing as i do he just needs a change.A good prospect or a late first is what i beleive to be adequate. Just my thoughts.

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i agree

i find that to be extremely curious myself

I agree, letting everyone but the PP / PK coach go is an odd one, but I guess we will have to wait and see how the team does in those regards next year before we Riot ( Too soon? :ph34r: )

Propping up the Sedin's as long as they are not being penciled in as the first line is not a bad thing, I don't think any of us would be sad if Henrik and Daniel each got say 20/25 goals and 30/35 assists in a line 1.B or 2.A type situation. I don't think Benning or Linden see the Sedins as the core moving forward, rather two players who have given their entire carreers to the Canucks and as such deserve a small amount of loyalty and curtsy.

Archived