The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Kings Fire Lombardi/Sutter

19 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

If I were a betting man, I would bet Sutter goes to Vegas. 2 reasons: a) the team is going to be like an island of misfits for the first few years and needs a coach who can get the most out of "grinders". B.) Vegas owner, Bill Foley wants to make a Stanley Cup contending team within 5 years(his words.) What better way to make a statement than to back a truckload of money up to Sutter's doorstep?!?!

To me it makes sense. Go ahead and call me crazy, people!!! Lol

Is that you Pratt?

2 hours ago, Bo053 said:

What's with organizations giving ex-players coaching/management positions just because they were good players in the league or fan favourites?

The only recent one that's been successful that I can think of is Yzerman in Tampa.

Roy did nothing as coach in Colorado, Gretzky was a disaster in Arizona, Linden is terrible so far here, etc.

Linden is the President of the Club operation, not a head coach...  

Might be worth waiting for after the playoffs because often one or two coaches lose their jobs from a stacked Cup contending team that should have won it all but didn't quite make it. Any of those coaches is good enough for the Canucks. We need a veteran now to take these kids to the playoffs, stop messing around with inexperienced coaches because it's simply not working and rarely does across the league.

3 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

If he was willing to coach here, I would definitely take him. He is one guy available that I think could handle the media here with ease. 

Never knew he is such a wit! Funny, funny guy. Hell I'd be more interested in the pressers than the games.

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's not an option.  he's not someone we want around our young players, It we thought Torts was bad yelling at Hansen, this guys is known for going around the room (in front of everyone) and ripping apart each player one by one.  And not in an encrouaging way, like straight up telling Saprykin that he best start preparing for his depart for Russia since he wasn't ever going to let a wannabe hot shot play under him.  

He's the last thing a player like goldy and sven need around this team.

So basically you're saying we have a team full of poosies?

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

CDC Logic

Willie D is boring, fire him

Sutter is available

ZOMG Hire Sutter he's awesome (without realizing how boring his style of play is)

Two Cups and the best possession team in the league for five straight years? How boring.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He's won the Stanley Cup which puts him ahead of other candidates for me. I think that's a must for our next coach.

That's why Sutter and Crawford are my top two choices with Gallant or Green as assistants.

What matters to me is the following criteria - not so much winning a cup but its clearly a big positive

1. Tactician - does our new coach know the game inside out and deploy systems that players buy into

2. Is he 'malleable' or stubborn like Willie - a good coach can adjust given opponent, in game situations etc

3. Is he 'fair' in how he treats players ice time wise and in general but also can understand you need to allow players to grow into what they can be vs trying to mold them all into the same type of player (ie let the dancers dance unless of course they are costing you games)

4. Can he get MORE out of players - has he shown a propensity to develop and push players past their own perceived limits (perhaps this is where cups come in-or not if they coached a stacked team to a cup)

5. Does he have respect for the above and as a result will command it in the room

So based on that, boy did we miss the boat on Babcock! LOL

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Crow used to yell at players all the time to, look how much he's mellowed out.

It wasn't just yellng. It was purely destroying the confidence. The story's that came out in Calgary after he left makes you wonder if there's something wrong with the guy. 

I dunno, but Sutter seems much calmer than in his Calgary days. I think the fact that he's a two time cup winner means players are more likely to buy into what he's saying.

He might have calmed down but it was only a year a ago the kings locked him out of the room. He loves a certain type of player but hates everything else. If we thought wd had a love for hard working Ahler than sutter takes it to another level.  

1 hour ago, Boeser6 said:

So basically you're saying we have a team full of poosies?

I'm saying we have a team full of young players that need confidence to succeed in the NHL. Sutter doesn't build confidence in rookies he destroys it.  Canucks are rebuilding. Canucks are bringing in more rookies that vets. We need a development coach. 

The only time it's good to play under a coach like that is when things are going well. Looking at our roster. It's going to be a few years before we get close to "going well"

Some harsh decisions need to be made with the Kings' roster in order for them to contend again. And Lombardi has already proven to be too loyal to do it. He turned down a free buyout for Mike Richards, fur starters. And he's handed out too many 'reward' contracts to his guys.

Not to mention some of his deadline moves have been very questionable. The Bishop acquisition didn't make a lot of sense. And the organization is still reeling from the Sekera trade (1st + McKeown!). And in both years they didn't even make the playoffs...They weren't firmly in a playoff spot when they pulled the trigger on either deal. They should have taken the opportunity to maybe dump a vet or two those years, not given up valuable futures for nothing.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm saying we have a team full of young players that need confidence to succeed in the NHL. Sutter doesn't build confidence in rookies he destroys it.  Canucks are rebuilding. Canucks are bringing in more rookies that vets. We need a development coach. 

The only time it's good to play under a coach like that is when things are going well. Looking at our roster. It's going to be a few years before we get close to "going well"

so you are saying we have a bunch of poosies

dude these are pro athletes not whiny little 14 yr olds - most of em can nut up and if they can't well not sure you want them in the playoffs anyways

coddled babies dont win championships - you think Toews and Kane even when rookies would whine if barked at? no  they would nut up and want to shove it in their coach's face - thats what winners do

if a player needs to be coddled, we dont need him - we need players who want to compete and have a fire in them - we've had too many coddled prima donnas for too long

Bring me more Bo's and we'll win - If any player needs a diaper send em packing - they're getting paid millions to compete man not be given soothers and ribbons and told they will all be great one day

prove it, nut up, or go to europe

Sutter likely to retire.  Not the best guy for going into rebuild.

Wouldn't mind seeing someone more experienced come into hockey ops.  Benning generally has done well from amateur scouting/prospect perspective but his pro-scouting and contract valuations have been questionable at times.  Someone like Lombardi coming in as a VP hockey ops or bringing in a vet coach like Ruff who would have some say in Hockey Ops is other option.  Don't want to see a rookie coach come in unless complimented with good veteran associate coach and add another experienced hockey ops guy to the mix.

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Wouldn't mind seeing someone more experienced come into hockey ops.  Benning generally has done well from amateur scouting/prospect perspective but his pro-scouting and contract valuations have been questionable at times.  Someone like Lombardi coming in as a VP hockey ops or bringing in a vet coach like Ruff who would have some say in Hockey Ops is other option.  Don't want to see a rookie coach come in unless complimented with good veteran associate coach and add another experienced hockey ops guy to the mix.

Although I personally don't see Ruff as an answer, I agree that the organization would benefit greatly with a senior hockey ops person.  pro-scouting and contracts haven't been terrible imo, but it is an area that can improve.

1 hour ago, Boeser6 said:

so you are saying we have a bunch of poosies

dude these are pro athletes not whiny little 14 yr olds - most of em can nut up and if they can't well not sure you want them in the playoffs anyways

coddled babies dont win championships - you think Toews and Kane even when rookies would whine if barked at? no  they would nut up and want to shove it in their coach's face - thats what winners do

if a player needs to be coddled, we dont need him - we need players who want to compete and have a fire in them - we've had too many coddled prima donnas for too long

Bring me more Bo's and we'll win - If any player needs a diaper send em packing - they're getting paid millions to compete man not be given soothers and ribbons and told they will all be great one day

prove it, nut up, or go to europe

The mental aspect of any sport is important.  It's not about coddling it's about believing in your own ability. 

Kane and Toews got the most coddling out of any of the hawks rookies. When they made a mistake, it never ended in them being benched, but with them right back on the ice. 

No offense but what you said is the most ridiculous post I've seen on here in a long time and steams from pure cluelessness . 

16 hours ago, oldnews said:

Neither of them would fit here.

Nor should they. Lombardi got them 2 cups, but he also made some horrible cap decisions. That team has to make some very harsh and expensive decisions soon. They are going to have to do a combination of buyouts, trading high quality players for nothing and excellent youth development. Not impossible but they might have a harder road ahead than we do in the 4-5 year horizon. 

14 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The mental aspect of any sport is important.  It's not about coddling it's about believing in your own ability. 

Kane and Toews got the most coddling out of any of the hawks rookies. When they made a mistake, it never ended in them being benched, but with them right back on the ice. 

No offense but what you said is the most ridiculous post I've seen on here in a long time and steams from pure cluelessness . 

Ya my ten years in the AHL and Europe and I know nothing about the game

Move along kid - some of us know how to compete and respect players who do so - Toews and Kane were not 'coddled' there is a difference in developing players and allowing mistakes and coddling

What you are suggesting is these players can't handle being accountable for their errors - I guarantee you Kane and Toews were more than capable of nutting up to their errors and their competitive fire is what makes them so great not 'kid gloves' - you think Chicago's coach is a pansy? the type to say its ok little guy, keep trying it will come lol

The only one here with cluelessness is you son - you've never competed for a damn thing in your life if that's your expectation of a coach at any REAL competitive level

Your response shows it- an insult as a retort is proof of a lack of an argument - Oh and the NHL ain't Timbits - maybe that worked for you back then its not the same for pros (in any industry)

26 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Nor should they. Lombardi got them 2 cups, but he also made some horrible cap decisions. That team has to make some very harsh and expensive decisions soon. They are going to have to do a combination of buyouts, trading high quality players for nothing and excellent youth development. Not impossible but they might have a harder road ahead than we do in the 4-5 year horizon. 

True. Say what you will about the Canucks' cap situation but there's relief in sight. Meanwhile the Kings just paid Kopitar 10 million for a 52 point season.

23 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

True. Say what you will about the Canucks' cap situation but there's relief in sight. Meanwhile the Kings just paid Kopitar 10 million for a 52 point season.

They have over 35 million tied up in just 6 30+ year old guys for the next 4-5 years. Would I trade that for 2 cups in Vancouver, uh, yah, but its also a fact this is going to be a longer term thing for them. They still have the talent to make another run tho.

Archived