The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 - Ray Ferraro's take on former teammate Travis Green

Rush17

Just now, HI5 said:

I just tune him out, been a while actually. Could be his style maybe, not really sure. Figured he'd have a job withan NHL team by now if his opinion was really so worthy. 

You should give the interview a listen before continuing on with the judgement. It's pretty spot on, and all about Vancouver. 

Thanks for sharing. A great perspective from someone who knows Green well. Some thoughts that came to me as I listened:

• Hearing Ray talk about Green and how he was once lazy and then became a monster in the gym makes him sound like the absolute perfect man to work with Jake. It all of a sudden makes complete sense how we've seen Jake go from 229 pounds to a guy who looks more like 195-200 pounds. No doubt Green is making Jake work his tail off in practice and in the gym. Sounds like Green was basically Jake back 20-25 years ago. 

• Ray's definite answer in how Green will make players work for their job is exciting to hear, but does make me expect that many fans will think he's not giving our young kids enough play time. We'll see how much leeway he gives them and how much Green makes them work for their ice time.

1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Ferraro's my favourite regular 1040 guest by far. Doesn't sugar coat anything, isn't needlessly positive or negative on any topic even when the mood is swinging wildly between those spectrums among our media and our fanbase. He draws well on his experience from his playing days to support his arguments. And I'll always have a special place in my heart for him for putting Pratt in his place.

it was pretty funny when he was asked about Green's development of prospects and what that means and he said "the Canucks drafted poorly"... ouch! but true. Even Gillis fanboys can't defend most of Mike's drafting record. 

I love listening to Ray Ferraro.  He seems to have great insight and I find I agree with him more than not.  I remember watching Ray play years ago.  Not a big player but tenacious.  He knows hockey (look at his resume at the internet hockey database).  Not only that, I love his sense of humour; if you can't get the odd laugh listening to him, you need to lighten up.  I like listening to Ray and TSN's Don Taylor's back and forth jibes.  I wish the Canucks would find Ray a job as a special advisor or something.  Ray's a BC boy to boot (from Trail BC).  At the beginning of this past season, he was quoted as saying it should be obvious that 'the Canucks best days are ahead of them, they certainly aren't now'.  He has questioned the direction of management when they kept beating the re-tool drum.  Now he sees that the management appears to be on the right track (i.e. re-build not re-tool) and he is more supportive.

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

it was pretty funny when he was asked about Green's development of prospects and what that means and he said "the Canucks drafted poorly"... ouch! but true. Even Gillis fanboys can't defend most of Mike's drafting record. 

up there with 'butthurt' S'all.

Drafting in the Gillis era was poor - it was also predominantly late picks.

They do deserve a bit of credit on a few fronts though.

Gillis identified the need to start transitioning the team - and at least we have Horvat to show for that.  In addition, Hutton was a Gillis 5th round pick, Shinkaruk/Granlund a Gillis pick, Gaunce (who could still be a good NHLer) and Subban were Gillis picks - all from 2012 and 13.  So they improved at the end of his tenure and he made a serious point of getting Horvat into the pipeline.

They also did ok outside the draft with undrafted UFAs ie Tanev, Lack...

1 minute ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Linden should hire Ferraro & McGuire in some management role.

I'd almost prefer having Ferraro in a position where he can voice his opinions without greatly worrying about retributions from his employers. He's a breath of fresh air whether he's criticizing the team or complimenting them. I don't think he could/would speak so freely if he was employed by the Canucks and I'd miss that.

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd almost prefer having Ferraro in a position where he can voice his opinions without greatly worrying about retributions from his employers. He's a breath of fresh air whether he's criticizing the team or complimenting them. I don't think he could/would speak so freely if he was employed by the Canucks and I'd miss that.

I just think Trevor & Jim could use some needed help in some way as it's quite evident in the past 3 years the direction this club has taken. At times seemed like no direction. (trying to stay competitive while re-tooling, unsure how to handle certain players, attendance, etc.).  Yet to hear too much knowledge is a bad thing.

I'm not saying these 2 exactly are the guys but they both have been around the game closer than anybody else in the past 20 - 30 years. I would add MacKenzie to that list as well. 

I could see all 3 of those guys being great additions to a NHL club in some way or form.

13 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

I just think Trevor & Jim could use some needed help in some way as it's quite evident in the past 3 years the direction this club has taken. At times seemed like no direction. (trying to stay competitive while re-tooling, unsure how to handle certain players, attendance, etc.).  Yet to hear too much knowledge is a bad thing.

I'm not saying these 2 exactly are the guys but they both have been around the game closer than anybody else in the past 20 - 30 years. I would add MacKenzie to that list as well. 

I could see all 3 of those guys being great additions to a NHL club in some way or form.

Ray joked about a hypothetical position with the team when asked last week.  he said he would love too but he couldn't be far from his family.   Vancouver would be the only place.  he knows full well it won't likely happen though lol.

they asked if he'd still come on if he got hired by the Canucks lol.  there was a long pause... and he said sure and laughed lol.  good times was quite funny.

Botchford seems to be eagerly taking up the Cryptkeeper's mantle. Only one problem. As much as I hate Gallagher, he at least could write. 

He just seemed to be in the wrong section of reporting, he would have been a good business reporter, but he insisted on writing sports. 

I know some of the most successful coaches have unremarkable NHL careers if any. Scotty Bowman for example never played one NHL game. However, there is one notable exception. Joel Quennville. He was a 21st pick overall by the Leafs and played 803 NHL games for various teams. Travis Green was a 23rd pick overall by the Islanders and played 970 NHL games for various teams.

Now I am not comparing coach Green to coach Q. Just pointing out that there are different routes to becoming a successful NHL coach.

Archived