The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

If Nylander is untouchable, I'd think about a Tanev / 2nd for Kadri / 1st.

Horvat/Kadri/Sutter would be a competitive trio down the middle and if you could package that TO 1st with something to reach up a few spots a Glass/Foote haul would be pretty nice.

Not sure how else TO gets a top pairing D-man unless the ducks are super desperate, which they might be.  I'm no expert but if it's Kapanen and those other throw-ins on the table Toronto has a bunch of "meh" prospects and a "meh" 1st in a "meh" draft.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

that is outrageous.  Dahlen may end up a better player then Nylander.   please dear god no more proposals with our top prospects.

"Don't trade out 19 year old prospect for a 21 year old 60 point guy"

Why not? I absolutely understand not wanting to trade away young player, but trading a young player who as never played in the NHL for a young player who already has 75 points in 1 and a quarter seasons isn't going to do us damage. Dahlen is more in line with Kapanen.

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I believe the 99 class comparison is poor. teams back then didn't need excellent scouts like they do today.  the salary cap has emphasized scouting and finding talent in difficult places. 

The issue wasn't selection order but rather the quality of (and quantity of good) players.  Better scouting wouldn't have fixed that, except perhaps that the handful of late picks that made it may have been chosen earlier.

If there are only a half-dozen players in the first round who will eventually become impact NHLers, then what are your odds and second, what's the value on those other picks?  Either way, very much taking a real gamble.

20 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think a lot is going to happen on June 22nd. the expansion draft will be over and its the day before the entry draft, thats when I think a deal will get done unless some GM really wants to get out in front of it and grab up Tanev and risk losing a different player to Vegas. Jim will probably have suggested deals in place already with GMs, if he hasn't already. I suspect that Jim is one of the guys the Dallas GM mentioned when he said teams had already contacted them about the 3oa. I have no doubt Jim will do his side and make a good offer, but there's squat we can do if another GM isn't interest or we simply get out bid. Having said that tho TO would be idiotic not to grab up Tanev.

Strongly agree here.

The expansion draft will create some holes, & open more cap space for a number of teams. All GM's will have put a lot of thought into their respective rosters. The subsequent 2 or 3 days(DD included) will probably feature a lot of movement.

21 hours ago, J.R. said:

That's great but they're not going to get a top pair D without paying with the likes of Marner/Nylander. Tanev or otherwise. 

Maybe they could view cdc proposals section and see how we always end up with top talent while giving up scraps.B)

39 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nope I don't think so. I would take Niemi and the 3rd overall for Tanev. What do you think?

That has a few repercussions, such as Miller not returning.  It also implies that a player of Tanev's profile isn't worth a 3rd overall in this draft.  I don't claim to know his market value but suspect it's more (at least, his value to the Canucks is) which is why I also proposed a swap of their other first (28-31) with the Torts second, or the equivalent value of a prospect.  They hold more value to us than them right now.

3 hours ago, EagleShield said:

"Don't trade out 19 year old prospect for a 21 year old 60 point guy"

Why not? I absolutely understand not wanting to trade away young player, but trading a young player who as never played in the NHL for a young player who already has 75 points in 1 and a quarter seasons isn't going to do us damage. Dahlen is more in line with Kapanen.

he's miles better then Kapanen.  if this team trades Dahlen Jim will lose me as a supporter.  Nylander belongs in TOR and we should know they don't plan on moving him.

52 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That has a few repercussions, such as Miller not returning.  It also implies that a player of Tanev's profile isn't worth a 3rd overall in this draft.  I don't claim to know his market value but suspect it's more (at least, his value to the Canucks is) which is why I also proposed a swap of their other first (28-31) with the Torts second, or the equivalent value of a prospect.  They hold more value to us than them right now.

I just don't see a world where anyone would be willing to give up a top 5 pick for Tanev, weak draft or not. We'll need to sweeten the pot IMO. 

Miller not coming back is what's best for our organization. He might steal us a few more points but those points will hurt us in the long run. There's no point in assembling a team that will finish 9th or 10th in the west. It's time to let the kids play and even though Markstrom isn't much of a kid, that includes him. 

35 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

he's miles better then Kapanen.  if this team trades Dahlen Jim will lose me as a supporter.  Nylander belongs in TOR and we should know they don't plan on moving him.

Miles better than Kapanen? Not sure how you came to that conclusion? No one knows who the better of the 2 will be.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dhalen is ripping it up as a number one centre.  

Ya but that doesn't mean a whole lot until he's doing it in the NHL. Kapanen was a PPG player in the AHL this year but same thing goes for him and the AHL is arguably a better league. Both players are just solid prospects at this point. To say one is miles ahead of he other would be false. If anything, an argument can be made that Kapanen is the better prospect because he had his success in the AHL (on North American ice). 

52 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I just don't see a world where anyone would be willing to give up a top 5 pick for Tanev, weak draft or not. We'll need to sweeten the pot IMO.

And yet McKenzie says he doesn't see a lot of teams lining up to give them a top-6 forward or top-4 dman, while Tanev is top-pairing.  Draft picks are often vastly over-valued (at least here), especially when there are no clear franchise players and a flat level of prospects available.  Some of it depends on the draft, and after the top-2 the next tier is quite broad.

29 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ya but that doesn't mean a whole lot until he's doing it in the NHL. Kapanen was a PPG player in the AHL this year but same thing goes for him and the AHL is arguably a better league. Both players are just solid prospects at this point. To say one is miles ahead of he other would be false. If anything, an argument can be made that Kapanen is the better prospect because he had his success in the AHL (on North American ice). 

True.  But we love our guys more, so Dhalen is better.::D  

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

And yet McKenzie says he doesn't see a lot of teams lining up to give them a top-6 forward or top-4 dman, while Tanev is top-pairing.  Draft picks are often vastly over-valued (at least here), especially when there are no clear franchise players and a flat level of prospects available.  Some of it depends on the draft, and after the top-2 the next tier is quite broad.

You're explaining this to a forum where pre lottery we were drafting top 2 and trading down would only net us a 2nd, yet now trading up to top 2 will cost us Horvat and a later pick plus our 5th ;)

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

You're explaining this to a forum where pre lottery we were drafting top 2 and trading down would only net us a 2nd, yet now trading up to top 2 will cost us Horvat and a later pick plus our 5th ;)

Who has said this?

The consensus seems to be Tanev for the 3rd oa and Niemi.

30 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Who has said this?

I think that would be a very good deal for us. Not sure if Dallas accepts though. Weak draft or not, 3rd OA is a huge asset. 

40 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Who has said this?

It's sarcasm, simply pointing out the foolishness of people that make grand sweeping statements one day only to change them the other.

I think almost everyone on the forum is of the same mind.  Edler + a 2nd for Niemi and 3rd OA or Tanev for Niemi and 3rd OA.  

I also say again I see Jersey and Winnipeg the dark horses to be involved with moving up to 3rd or 2nd

Archived