The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

I would trade Tanev to Colorado straight up for Duchene.  I think a change of scenery would help Duchene as he has struggled a bit, but Colorado has been a mess from what I read.  Both about the same age.  A 1 -2 of Duchene and Horvat is a good start.  Surround them with our young wingers.  The Avalanche would still have MacKinnon, Grigorenko,  Jost and Colborne as their Centers.  I think Jost will jump straight into the NHL especially on that team.  They need D especially RH'ers.

16 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I would trade Tanev to Colorado straight up for Duchene.  I think a change of scenery would help Duchene as he has struggled a bit, but Colorado has been a mess from what I read.  Both about the same age.  A 1 -2 of Duchene and Horvat is a good start.  Surround them with our young wingers.  The Avalanche would still have MacKinnon, Grigorenko,  Jost and Colborne as their Centers.  I think Jost will jump straight into the NHL especially on that team.  They need D especially RH'ers.

Why does everyone think Tanev alone will fetch us an elite forward? He's injury prone and shoots the pucks like a 12 year old. 

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

You would, but would Sakic? It would take Tanev + +

When people downplay Tanev's with, just think about players who have left us and been coveted by other teams enough to be rewarded rich contracts.

An over the hill Bieksa got a huge contract.  Same with Ohlund, Erhoff, Salo.

Tanev is younger and better than they were (at the time they signed).  He is under club control at a great cap hit.

Most trades aren't completely one for one, generally prospect/pick swaps too... but those aren't r ally material.

Sakic has unrealistic expectations for players on big contracts who are dramatically underperforming. Any receiving team takes a huge risk that they aren't getting the player they hope for in Landeskog or Duchene.

There is a real possibility that he isn't able to trade them for any real value and is trapped because he desperately needs that value to

remake his team.  He may be stuck with one or both of them and having to hope they have a bounce back year.  

That's not true. They have Johnson and Barrie on the right side with contracts larger than Tanev. 

40 minutes ago, Provost said:

When people downplay Tanev's with, just think about players who have left us and been coveted by other teams enough to be rewarded rich contracts.

An over the hill Bieksa got a huge contract.  Same with Ohlund, Erhoff, Salo.

Tanev is younger and better than they were (at the time they signed).  He is under club control at a great cap hit.

Most trades aren't completely one for one, generally prospect/pick swaps too... but those aren't r ally material.

Sakic has unrealistic expectations for players on big contracts who are dramatically underperforming. Any receiving team takes a huge risk that they aren't getting the player they hope for in Landeskog or Duchene.

There is a real possibility that he isn't able to trade them for any real value and is trapped because he desperately needs that value to

remake his team.  He may be stuck with one or both of them and having to hope they have a bounce back year.  

Both will be returning to Colorado, only way he can trade them for what they are "worth" in his eyes are for another player with baggage or whom wants out.  With Barrie and Johnson Colorado would have little interest in our defence and probably ask for a duchene and Johnson for Tanev and Horvat type of deal; obviously we'd have to decline.  Colorado is also showing patience with their team so they'd be more interested in Juolevi than Tanev and those sort of players.  They might have interest in a guy like Hutton, but obviously for Duchene we'd have to add and unless the 5th overall is involved we don't really have anything up front we could afford to give them (they'd have little interest in Sutter IMHO)

I honestly don't even think Sakic would entertain the 5th and Hutton for Duchene yet that would be a pretty fair trade. I just don't love Duchene enough to do it and he doesn't really help our current situation as he wouldn't be the only missing piece we need.  The Canucks need to look at a 5 to 6 year window and Duchene will be on the north side of 30 by the time we are ready

3 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Why does everyone think Tanev alone will fetch us an elite forward? He's injury prone and shoots the pucks like a 12 year old. 

Two words: expansion draft. 

Though I don't think a team will give up an established player IMO. We're looking at a return of a high pick and/or prospect. 

3 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

That's not true. They have Johnson and Barrie on the right side with contracts larger than Tanev. 

Which tells me Tanev would be an excellent acquisition especially if they can somehow unload an underperforming and overpaid Johnson who is 29 (misses a lot of games) and will be paid $6 million per for the next six years. 

34 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Which tells me Tanev would be an excellent acquisition especially if they can somehow unload an underperforming and overpaid Johnson who is 29 (misses a lot of games) and will be paid $6 million per for the next six years. 

Tyson Barrie was minus 34 last season.  Maybe he's the d the Avs need to move out?

So who would be dumb enough to take on Johnson's contract?  Is Mike Milbury affiliated with any team?  B)

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

So who would be dumb enough to take on Johnson's contract?  Is Mike Milbury affiliated with any team?  B)

How about Duchene Johnson a 2nd.  Some retention for Noah Hanifin and a 4th.

I'd thought Landeskog is a better option  for Carolina but....why not throw it out there as a starter 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tyson Barrie was minus 34 last season.  Maybe he's the d the Avs need to move out?

Colorado was the worst team in hockey. Barrie isn't exactly known for his defense but I wouldn't read too much into his plus minus. He'd be a plus player on a good team. 

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

You would, but would Sakic? It would take Tanev + +

I kind of doubt it. Sakic is on thin ice, and needs his team to move up the standings in a hurry, and Tanev can help do that. Benning on the other hand can afford to be patient, and also can move Tanev pretty much anywhere. Sakic is in no position to play hardball with Benning.

25 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I kind of doubt it. Sakic is on thin ice, and needs his team to move up the standings in a hurry, and Tanev can help do that. Benning on the other hand can afford to be patient, and also can move Tanev pretty much anywhere. Sakic is in no position to play hardball with Benning.

Sakic may be feeling the pressure but I don't think it's enough to sell that low on Duchene. Maybe it's a little closer than I thought but Tanev is a year older and injury prone, so we'd be the ones adding to that deal.

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

Sakic may be feeling the pressure but I don't think it's enough to sell that low on Duchene. Maybe it's a little closer than I thought but Tanev is a year older and injury prone, so we'd be the ones adding to that deal.

You might be right, but if that's the case then forget Duchene. If we have to add on to Tanev to get a deal done, I'd rather go for someone like Sam Reinhardt.

Archived