The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I agree that Kapanen + a 1st is probably a relatively realistic proposal.

What irks me is seeing someone arrogantly mock people for gauging Tanev's value differently when Tanev in particular is a player who's value is very difficult to gauge, hence the wildly varying proposals.

Ya he's definitely a tough player to gauge value for given that he's basically all defense. But I could see a bidding war between offensive teams like Edmonton and Toronto. Short of Puljunarvi, I think JB steers clear of Edmonton. But players like Tanev are hard to come by. I think we will get good value for him. Don't expect a Hall type player coming back but Tanev is going to be highly saught after, that's for sure. 

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This thread reminds me of how we want to package Raymond, Ballard and a pick for anyone. I guess now we know how it feels to be on the other end of it.

I wonder what Leaf fans are proposing on their boards? Or if they're even talking about this? I know the original discussion was around Leipsic, Carrick and a pick but I just don't see us having any interest in Leipsic or Carrick. 

21 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ya he's definitely a tough player to gauge value for given that he's basically all defense. But I could see a bidding war between offensive teams like Edmonton and Toronto. Short of Puljunarvi, I think JB steers clear of Edmonton. But players like Tanev are hard to come by. I think we will get good value for him. Don't expect a Hall type player coming back but Tanev is going to be highly saught after, that's for sure. 

If Jb is even shopping him. For all we know Jb doesn't want to part with him. 

8 minutes ago, soosoodeff said:

lol edler aint going no where

Maybe? A lot has changed since he was asked a couple yars ago. No more Burrows, no more Hansen, The Sedins are in their last year, we have a new coach, we're probably going to be a bottom feeder, he just had a taste of winning at the WHC. So you never know. I'm ok either way, as long as we trade one of Edler and Tanev. 

3 hours ago, ohmy said:

I'm not disagreeing with your whole post but this is 100% nonsense. There's not a report out there or a statline to support that argument. I have watched him play a few times and he passes my eye test  but nowhere near enough to make an educated assessment but if the career scouts like his progression of what he could be then I'm gonna have to side with them. I do agree however that he is closer to top 6/9 then he will ever be a top line player.

Whether someone has "disappointed" or not depends on what expectations one had from a player. Alex Nylander's season in the AHL was a disappointment as was Jesse Pulujarvi's season in the AHL. Doesn't mean that they aren't good prospects. Similarly many Swedes expected Dahlen to be one of the best players in Allvenskan last year but he disappointed relative to their expectations. It was after that their expectations of him went down from potential top 6 to potential top 9. His play in the WJC was also like I said decent but not exactly a standout performance. I still think he can be a top 6 forward if things go right, I don't see the kind of glaring flaws in his game that precludes him from getting there.

46 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wonder what Leaf fans are proposing on their boards? Or if they're even talking about this? I know the original discussion was around Leipsic, Carrick and a pick but I just don't see us having any interest in Leipsic or Carrick. 

From the discussions I have seen on HF. Leafs fans don't value Leipsic or Carrick much at all. Kapanen is highly regarded, more so than their #17 pick. Most of them seem willing to do Kapanen + or their 1st + but seem adamant not to do both. IMO Kapanen and a 1st is probably close to fair value, but Canucks fans will want more while Leafs fans will want less.

I feel a lot of people take Tanevs Defensive game for granted, he's a defensive first D and does a damn good job of it, he's not an offensive D and he doesn't have to be, but losing Tanev without replacing him with another Defensive first D will leave a big hole on this back end which is already not strong.

14 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I feel a lot of people take Tanevs Defensive game for granted, he's a defensive first D and does a damn good job of it, he's not an offensive D and he doesn't have to be, but losing Tanev without replacing him with another Defensive first D will leave a big hole on this back end which is already not strong.

Likely JB trades Hutton for a 22 year old forward (again trying to speed up the rebuild) so don't worry too much about Tanev being traded. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

From the discussions I have seen on HF. Leafs fans don't value Leipsic or Carrick much at all. Kapanen is highly regarded, more so than their #17 pick. Most of them seem willing to do Kapanen + or their 1st + but seem adamant not to do both. IMO Kapanen and a 1st is probably close to fair value, but Canucks fans will want more while Leafs fans will want less.

When do you think a trade like Tanev would happen?  At the draft?  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When do you think a trade like Tanev would happen?  At the draft?  

Yup any time after the expansion draft I imagine. I am still not expecting Tanev to be moved. I think JB and TL want to keep Tanev because his presence shelters the younger defenseman.

13 hours ago, Toews said:

VAN

Kapanen

1st ´17

TOR

Tanev

Subban

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Likely JB trades Hutton for a 22 year old forward (again trying to speed up the rebuild) so don't worry too much about Tanev being traded. 

I don't know if he would do that, but if he did, he wouldn't get anywhere near the same return as Tanev would get.

I'm kind of thinking JB holds onto his dmen until he sees how the prospects have progressed.  Maybe he waits until after Christmas or trade deadline.  Of course this could change if he was offered a fantastic return!

14 hours ago, Toews said:

41 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Valuation may be fair, but filling of needs is not.  Toronto gets exactly what they need, Canucks do not.

This. It's fair value but it doesn't terribly fill a need for VAN. I honestly don't see TOR as a trade partner for Tanev (as much as they could use him). They're not likely going to give Nylander to get him and frankly they don't have any other pieces I'd be willing to move him there for.

Kapanen looks like a good player but he's not one we terribly need.

Archived