The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What about the 2nd Overall pick?

Everyone is thinking about either Dallas's 3rd overall or the 1st overall that the Devil's currently hold, but I suggest we have exactly what Philly needs...Goaltending and an excellent 1st pair defender whom look amazing playing alongside Ivan Povorov. The goaltender that i'm referring to would send the flyers over the moon, DEMKO. He would be the next Matt Murry as the Flyers would be ready to make Cup runs in the next few years. We would want the 2nd overall and Travis Sanheim, both clubs gain. With the second, we secure a succession plan with Henrik nearing the end and we get a decent defenceman that projects to be a strong second pair defender.

It's absolutely positively not in play.  The only way it gets moved is if you're eating a contract like MacDonalds'  giving up a prospect like Juolevi or a Horvat AND bumping up with another 1st round pick

Meaning simply, that pick is not in play.

Vilardi or Patrick will be a Flyer end of story

It's a new proposal, that's for sure.  The thing with this draft though is the top two guys might not have higher ceilings (after development and normal maturation) than the guys taken where we pick at 5.  Glass, Vilardi, Makar, and others might be just as good in a few years, or even better.  

Certainly a unique proposal, but I'm not sure of the complete offer.  Are you saying Tanev + Demko for 2nd overall + Sanheim?

Seems like pretty good value for Vancouver, but has potential to blow up in Van's face.  With no good goalie prospect in the pool, it leave Van vulnerable in that position.  Haven't really looked at other teams' goalie prospects, but I think it would be awful hard to find the high potential that Demko has.

Seems like an overpayment for Philly.

Sanheim and Nico though...:wub:

31 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

Everyone is thinking about either Dallas's 3rd overall or the 1st overall that the Devil's currently hold, but I suggest we have exactly what Philly needs...Goaltending and an excellent 1st pair defender whom look amazing playing alongside Ivan Povorov. The goaltender that i'm referring to would send the flyers over the moon, DEMKO. He would be the next Matt Murry as the Flyers would be ready to make Cup runs in the next few years. We would want the 2nd overall and Travis Sanheim, both clubs gain. With the second, we secure a succession plan with Henrik nearing the end and we get a decent defenceman that projects to be a strong second pair defender.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this play IMO.  Demko is far from a gaurantee, his stock is still high and now would be a good time to consider trading him for a deal like this.  One of the better proposals I've seen in a while, and would do it in a heartbeat. 

Remember for years Markstrom was considered one of the best prospects in the world and THE best goalie prospect. He was ranked higher than Demko ever was and we all know how he's turned out, a below average starter and an average back-up.  There's only thirty-one first stringers in the world, theres dozens of Talbots and Raanta's out there, who out perform guys like Lundqvist and Crawford.  Demko might never make it, he's still an unknown.

I would trade him for a deal like this ten out of ten times.  It's not difficult to get decent goalies with upside, every year theres a couple out of nowhere that come out and shine, Benning could look around and make another deal for a young goalie.  Or use the draft, he should be anyways, Markstrom is a stop-gap at best, the same with Miller.

I hate that we are paying for production that hasn't happened yet with Markstrom, and would be over the moon to see him go too.

Make it happen Benning, I'm sold.

29 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Demko = as close to untouchable as we have.

That's it, that's all. 

Why?  What has he done that makes him untouchable?  If he was that good he would be pulling a Jones or Murray and be in the league already.

28 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Certainly a unique proposal, but I'm not sure of the complete offer.  Are you saying Tanev + Demko for 2nd overall + Sanheim?

Seems like pretty good value for Vancouver, but has potential to blow up in Van's face.  With no good goalie prospect in the pool, it leave Van vulnerable in that position.  Haven't really looked at other teams' goalie prospects, but I think it would be awful hard to find the high potential that Demko has.

Seems like an overpayment for Philly.

Sanheim and Nico though...:wub:

Demko is considered in the sixties for best prospects in the world right now by THN.  Thats quite good, somewhere between Boesser and Virtanen (20s, and 80s, Juolevi is 15 BTW).   Theres a couple guys ahead of him but the real thing to consider is how many excellent goalies are already in play in back-up, third string roles that are no longer considered prospects.  

Goaltending is the easiest position to fill go a GM given the limited jobs available and the hundreds of candidates hoping for a chance to play.  Thats the biggest reason you don't see many goalies go in the early in the first round, Fluery, Luongo and Diepetro are exceptions.  

I hope Demko turns out as much as anyone, but if we could trade him for our future first line center I would do it.  We have years before been competitive is a reality, Benning would have plenty of time to find a good UFA to fill the spot or draft another couple goalies ( which IMO he should already have done with his second rounders).

Demko, Boeser, and Horvat are our 3 untouchables...if it was a draft where we could get McDavid or Matthews sure....

The 2nd pick isn't for sale, only reason we talk about the NJD is because they want to move down a few spots to get a D. 

Dallas is in a win now mode for the next 5 years, thats why there are rumors of them trading the pick for a D who is ready to go and entering his prime.

Philly is super close to being a contender for a long time, but what do they need to put them over the edge...A goalie and another 1st pair defender not another forward, they in essence don't need Nolan or Hirscheir, they need Demko or a top flight goalie prospect like Demko at an entry level deal as they are rubbing against the cap. Just my opinion, both the Flyers and the Canucks are in excellent positions to help each other in their timeline of development.

11 minutes ago, Qwags said:

No. We'd have no goalie of the future, which is why Demko was drafted. Sure, Demko hasn't played an NHL game, but his progression thus far is something worth hoping for.

The Key is right there. Not a sure thing by a long shot and to get one of the top 2 and a 1/2 D you do that in a heartbeat if they are willing.

7 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Demko, Boeser, and Horvat are our 3 untouchables...if it was a draft where we could get McDavid or Matthews sure....

The 2nd pick isn't for sale, only reason we talk about the NJD is because they want to move down a few spots to get a D. 

Dallas is in a win now mode for the next 5 years, thats why there are rumors of them trading the pick for a D who is ready to go and entering his prime.

everything is for sale, always...

16 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

everything is for sale, always...

There's a reason why we dont see trade proposals for those 3...

Demko has the potential to be a Vezina contender

Boeser has the potential for 30G seasons

Horvat is the future making of a Captain....

Now unless the return is huge, no thank you. We're building a group that will have the ability to be a legit contender

Not even remotely interested in moving Demko, pass.

He's found money and looks like he could be a legit #1 which is valuable in itself, keeping him and making selections with the picks we have or acquire makes more sense going forward.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

There's a reason why we dont see trade proposals for those 3...

Demko has the potential to be a Vezina contender

Boeser has the potential for 30G seasons

Horvat is the future making of a Captain....

Now unless the return is huge, no thank you. We're building a group that will have the ability to be a legit contender

I think might be overeating Demko a bit.  Nowhere is it written ( at least where I've seen) that Demko has the potential to win a Vezina, NHL goalie yes, but that is a bit of a stretch, no scouting reports I've read has him that high.  

He's not untouchable, actually nobody we have yet is.

Archived